Help? I can't get my 5930k to run at even 4.0 GHz stable.

PcZac

Limp Gawd
I've followed the guides:

1. Leave everything on default
2. Set the vCore to 1.3 V
3. Set the CPU Ration at 4.5 Ghz, and if it's not stable, work your way down.
4. Once you find a stable speed, try slowly lowering the vCore to reduce wear and temps.

Well, I cannot get anywhere close to the overclocks I've seen most people get. I've even tried using the ASRock A-Tuning over clock presets, and even those fail the AIDA64 stability test in less than 10 minutes. My temps are around 70c average, with a few spikes to around 78c at most. And when my PC fails, it locks up or the screen starts goes solid grey.

Specs

• CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
  • Motherboard: ASRock X99M Extreme4
  • Memory: Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400
  • Case: Silverstone TJ08B-E mATX
  • Power Supply: Corsair HX650 80+ Gold
  • GPU: Evga ACX GTX 760
  • Storage: 2x 1TB drives + Crucial MX100 128GB SSD

Pictures of the build: http://i.imgur.com/ZycoUDP.jpg http://imgur.com/a/htgrL

Any suggestions, feedback, ideas, help?

Last edited:
read this thread carefully, i know its not related to your CPU but there are a lot of bios options you need to edit in order to OC properly, i.e. Fixed voltages, vOffset, its not too tough, just once you get a better grip of what your BIOS settings mean it will make more sense. Also it could be something as simple as setting your cores to a fixed rate by turning off turbos boost and EIST.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1401976/the-gigabyte-z87-haswell-overclocking-oc-guide

It looks like the A-Tuning messes with a lot of settings in the UEFI so I decided to reset the settings to default, load the XMP profile for the ram, change the storage/boot drive settings, and ran a stress test at the default settings. Only had an hour, but only had a max temp of 52c, with averages around 45c. I'll try overclocking later tonight, thanks!

I have your setup. Remember to also try to increase input voltage , try 2.0v. I have my input voltage at 2.0, vcore at 1.27, multi at 43 and for now my cache ratio is very far down at 30

Tried input voltage at 2.0v and vcore at 1.25-1.3v, still wasn't stable even at 40x.

Looks like this processor just doesn't want to overclock. I ran a 3 hour stability test at default settings again just to make sure it would pass, and it did.

Do you think it's just the motherboard? I cannot find many reviews for the ASRock X99M Extreme4, and the only relevant one I found said they could not increase the multiplier either.

It clearly states on the motherboard that it can overclock, but if it cannot increase the multiplier and run stable, it seems like false advertising to me? Too bad I cannot return it, it's outside of the 30 days from Newegg.

Or is it probably just a bad CPU? It's hard to image it's the CPUs fault when someone else had a similar issue, and it's so far below the average overclocks other people are getting with the same CPU.

I'm OCing on the board just fine. Although i'm using the A-tuning utility to do so and not going through the UEFI.
Try setting your cache ratio to a fixed multiplier instead of auto.

Thanks, setting that Cache Ratio to 30 and the CPU Load-Line Calibration to Level 1 seemed to do the the trick, ran 45x with vcore 1.3v and input voltage at 1.9 for 30 minutes, no issues. Tried bumping up to 46x, but BSOD when it landed on windows. I'll do a few hour test just to make sure it's stable at 45x and then dial back the vcore.

Once you get it stable with the cache at 30 you can try bumping that up slowly and adding some voltage to vCore and VSSA I believe it was. 1.35-1.45 on the VSSA and you might be able to run the cache at the same speed as the CPU. I have an ASRock board and so far it's been very easy to overclock the 5930K but I still have more tweaking to do. Good luck!

Thanks, setting that Cache Ratio to 30 and the CPU Load-Line Calibration to Level 1 seemed to do the the trick, ran 45x with vcore 1.3v and input voltage at 1.9 for 30 minutes, no issues. Tried bumping up to 46x, but BSOD when it landed on windows. I'll do a few hour test just to make sure it's stable at 45x and then dial back the vcore.

stability means nothing, stability on a particular test means something.
what software do you use to test for stability?

if you BSOD at 4.6GHz when landing on windows you can't be stable on 4.5GHz.

In any case I have two 5930K now, both are very similar overclocker, if you use the correct software to test them, they can't do more than 4.2GHz on 1.3V, 1.92V vccin.
If I use cinebench I can do 4.5GHz no problem but you know that cinebench or similar are not good tests for stability.

This is confusing the hell out of me. When I've attempting an overclock, anywhere from 4.2-4.5 Ghz, my computer isn't freezing or BSOD, but AIDA64 will free after about 1-2 minutes and not start working again. But everything else works on the computer while AIDA is frozen, and I'm not getting and lockups or BSOD. Is it really failing or is something else going on?

I think my motherboard or CPU just isn't stable at 1.3 vcore. Seems to be stable at 1.265 vcore at 4.2 Ghz. Doing a few more stress tests to be sure. I think I'll try bumping up the CPU cache, as well.

Just curious if you got it working? My 5930k does 4.4 no sweat..

it all depends on what kind of load you put on your CPU.
4.4GHz is a really high frequency for Haswell-E, they can do it at crazy voltage or if the user don't do crazy things with the CPU apart surginf the web and posting on the forum :D

Back