Help getting DVD onto HD..

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
I haven't ripped a DVD in years. These are DVD's I own and I need them to play on a media box I have in my gym room for the wife. I have a windows 7 PC to do the ripping. Thx in advance!

HandBrake can't rip encrypted DVDs, so, the recommended course of action is:

1) Use MakeMKV to rip either the entire disc (meaning absolutely everything on it) into a single MKV file or only the "main movie" and captions/subtitles and audio tracks into a single MKV file
2) Feed that MKV file to HandBrake and then do your encode from there

Realize that DVDs are SD aka Standard Definition, they are *low visual quality* to begin with so that means you don't have to go fucking batshit insane with some super duper crazy encoding parameters, choose one of the presets like Apple TV or whatever and you'll end up with fantastic looking encodes that will play on any device you want. It doesn't really matter if you choose an MKV or MP4 container as they can both handle the necessary audio/video/captions and subs just fine.

HandBrake can't rip encrypted DVDs, so, the recommended course of action is:

1) Use MakeMKV to rip either the entire disc (meaning absolutely everything on it) into a single MKV file or only the "main movie" and captions/subtitles and audio tracks into a single MKV file
2) Feed that MKV file to HandBrake and then do your encode from there

Realize that DVDs are SD aka Standard Definition, they are *low visual quality* to begin with so that means you don't have to go fucking batshit insane with some super duper crazy encoding parameters, choose one of the presets like Apple TV or whatever and you'll end up with fantastic looking encodes that will play on any device you want. It doesn't really matter if you choose an MKV or MP4 container as they can both handle the necessary audio/video/captions and subs just fine.

I'm not saying this is what I did.... but here is how you COULD do it .... Handbrake does the job.

Well yeah, the libdvdcss.dll does help but most folks don't necessarily make use of that method because that's the encryption used on commercial DVDs but it is NOT the only form of copy protection - you're bound to encounter some DVDs sooner or later that you will not be able to rip with that method which is why MakeMKV comes into the picture: it gets updated to handle such copy protection schemes now and again to get around them

Worst case scenario: get the RedFox thing if it's still around (used to be AnyDVD till the developers turned into greedy money grubbing scumsucking assholes and ripped all the people who paid for lifetime licenses off) and maybe use that method as well.

Well yeah, the libdvdcss.dll does help but most folks don't necessarily make use of that method because that's the encryption used on commercial DVDs but it is NOT the only form of copy protection - you're bound to encounter some DVDs sooner or later that you will not be able to rip with that method which is why MakeMKV comes into the picture: it gets updated to handle such copy protection schemes now and again to get around them

Worst case scenario: get the RedFox thing if it's still around (used to be AnyDVD till the developers turned into greedy money grubbing scumsucking assholes and ripped all the people who paid for lifetime licenses off) and maybe use that method as well.

I remember AnyDVD from years back. If I recall it was a great program and simple to use. It's been a really long time since I used it.

I use DVD Decrypter if I need to rip a DVD that handbrake can't rip, then use handbrake to encode.

dvd-ripping-encoding.jpg

DVDDecrypter will have the same issues I mentioned before: while it easily breaks CSS, the other forms of copy protection will stop it cold if and when you encounter them. As long as it works - even in spite of its age - it gets the job done fairly well but realize it means a two-pass thing: you have to decrypt/rip the DVD contents to the hard drive and then you have encode from there so, it takes longer. The libdvdcss.dll method works effectively the same as using DVDDecrypter without having to do that decrypt/rip step - it'll get killed by different copy protections of course, but those newer methods usually only happen on the biggest releases and not every disc in general, especially stuff released by Sony.

AS a former Anydvd user there is no damn way I would pay Red Fox a dime nothing but a rip off company......

I remember that program! Geeze that's been a LONG time ago that was out. I didn't know it was still around or even still worked. Brings back some memories lol
My copy was installed 9 years ago on that machine. I haven't ripped any newer discs with it, the DVD I was ripping came out about 8 years ago.

Sounds like you're doing a lot of extra hard work. I just use DVDFab with the Passthrough option to convert disks to mkv files. If you're creative, you can find it for free.

Back