Help finish my I7 2600K build.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Loading, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Loading

Loading Gawd

I just realized I qualify for the Intel Retail Edge program so I ordered a Core I7 2600K. Got a really great price on it. I also got the C320 120 gig SSD. A couple weeks ago I picked up the Coolermaster Storm Scout, and last week I ordered the Antec Earthwatts 650 watt green PSU. Need help finishing off the build! I never really considered doing this build with an OC, but now that I have the 'k" I may as well give it some extra juice.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

Gaming, Most modern games.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

Don't have a flat must stick to budget. Just whatever it costs to finish off the build. I will go more into this later.

3) Where do you live?

Canada, Alberta, Calgary. Got a memory express locally.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

Motherboard, Ram, Vid Card, HDD, Optical Drive. Perhaps a HSF. The I7 does come with the OEM cooler.. Probably need a wireless N NIC as well.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

Core I7 2600K, Coolermaster Storm Scout, Antec Earthwatts 650 watt green, Intel C320 120 gig SSD. Mouse, keyboard.

6) Will you be overclocking?

Now that I got the 'K' model, I plan to. I do *not* want to spend a crazy amount on a cooler. I do not plan on going for a crazy OC, whatever I can hit easy, would prefer to not juice up the voltage.

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?

22" LCD. If I can play above 1280x780 or whatever the fink it is I'm happy.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

Now.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? etc.

Sata 6b/s to take advantage of the SSD. Moderate OC ability. Onboard Sound.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

Windows 7 64 bit.

I am trying to make this a 'budget' build. I got the proc and SSD at great prices, the case and PSU were excellent buys as well. I've got $250 worth of giftcards at n c ix. The rest I can do at memory express, or through NC ix. Memory express does have a new 'price beat' where they will beat someones price by 25%. If I can utilize that, great.

I will break down my budget on roughly what I want to spend.

Motherboard, really as cheap as I can go, but still get some quality. Dont' want something with leaky caps, but it doesn't make sense to my to get a $300 mobo and not use 88% of it's 'features'.

Ram, Whatever it costs to get decent ram. Obviously looking for the best 'deal' Would it be worthwhile to go for 1600 mhz ram as I plan to OC, or should I just stick with 1333?

Vid Card. I guess this is where most of the remaining cost will come into play. I really did want to wait for the next gen vid cards, but I got the great deals on the proc and such so I will be building now. If I could get something fairly cheap as a usable stop gap until then. I great. I'm thinking I'd like to spend somewhere around $150 but if I'm going to gain a lot of performance from spending an extra $50 bucks I'd be willing to spend the extra.

1 tb, or whatever size HDD has the best cost per gig. If that happens to be a 1.5 tb or 2 fine. Will obviously be used as a storage drive. Current computer has a 1 tb, and a 500 gig and it'll be my media PC, so most of my music and such can be stored on those. Just because it's a storage drive, I don't want something that's unusually slow..

HSF.. Here I'm kind of conflicted. I don't want to spend a huge amount on the cooler as I'm not going for a huge OC. I've heard the storm scout has pretty decent cooling. (I think a 120 in the front, 120 in the rear, and a 140 at the top. It does have fan cutouts in the side as well, so I'll be throwing a 120 in the side window to blow on the vid card and proc area. I'm under the mindset that if you spend 50 bucks on a cooler, you may as well have just put that money towards a faster proc. (Of course for the I7 2600K the next one 'up' doesn't cost 50 bucks..)

Thanks for any and all help!

2. tiraides

tiraides [H]ardForum Junkie

You do realize that the Intel SATA 6Gb/s SSD is the 510 model, right? The 320 model, if that's what you have, is a SATA 3Gb/s SSD and is somewhat (comparatively) limited when used in the SATA 6Gb/s port.

Regardless, I recommend the following parts (since you may buy from NC IX, I won't post any links):

CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus. A very good HSF for its price.

Memory - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB DDR3 1333 dual-channel kit. You don't need any faster RAM, as you'll be overclocking using the i7-2600K's unlocked CPU multiplier.

Motherboard - MSI P67A-G43. It has plenty of features and dual x8 CF/SLI support.

Video Card - Get the XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB if you're playing games at a 1680x1050 resolution. If the monitor uses 1920x1080, however, I recommend the HD6950 2GB card.

Hard Drive - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB HDD. It performs as well as other more expensive hard drives with 500GB drive platters. I also recommend that you buy the Samsung EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB HDD as a secondary storage drive and sell your old drives (after you transfer the data and wipe them, of course).

Optical Drive - Any cheap SATA DVD burner would be fine.

Wireless N Card - See Optical Drive.

How much would the above cost you?

3. Loading

Loading Gawd

The above minus the hard drive(s) (nc ix does not carry the samsungs I guess..) And not including the optical drive or wireless N card is 425 cad plus shipping and tax. Not to bad. I didn't notice that the 320's were the older model. Didn't do my homework well enough. How much performance am I loosing from it I wonder. It was the only model the intel retail edge had. The 510's weren't included in the promo.

Thanks for the help!

4. tiraides

The 320 will be noticeably faster than any SATA HDD you'd use as a primary drive. It only comes up short compared to the recently released SATA 6Gb/s SSDs: the OCZ Vertex 3, the Crucial C400/m4, and the Intel 510.

As for the Hard Drive, go with the Western Digital WD1002FAEX instead, but please keep in mind that you may pay a premium compared to the Samsung HDD.

5. draken24

draken24 Limp Gawd

Anand just did a very nice write up/comparison on ssd's id give that a loom to get the differences... But as tir mentioned that ssd is faster tgan any mechanical drive

6. lil layzie

lil layzie Gawd

Would you guys say that Intel 320 SSD is a good buy for $190?

7. tiraides

Depends on the size.

8. lil layzie

lil layzie Gawd

The one mentioned in OP. 120gb.

9. tiraides

NewEgg.ca has the 120GB retail version for around $235 CAD to $240 CAD (at most, since cheaper versions exist). NewEgg.com has it for around $240 USD to $250 USD. At $190, you're essentially getting around a 20% to 25% discount on the SSD, which is nice.

10. Loading

Loading Gawd

Bump. My processor and SSD arrived today. I picked up a Cooler Master 212+ HSF, and a kit of 8 gig ripjaws memory.

Still need a motherboard, vid card, wireless nic, and perhaps a HDD. NC IX.com just started another week of their weekly sales (none of which are very good..) but I still have ~250$ in giftcards. Just curious if anything better has gone on sale since tiraides speced out some parts for me.

Thanks!

11. Dangman

Dangman Ninja Editor SuperMod

The parts that Tiraide listed are still good choices. Wifi NIC wise, I recommend this:
    $28 - Asus PCE-N13 Wireless Adapter

12. Loading

Loading Gawd

Thanks for the reply. This vid card is quite a bit cheaper, I was curious if it's one that could go to the 6870 specs?

Powercolor Radeon HD 6850 775MHZ 1GB 4.0GHZ GDDR5 2XDVI DisplayPort HDMI PCI-E Video Card

At 130 after rebates that's quite a bit cheaper. How much slower is a 6850 then a 6870 if I'm not able to OC it to 6870 levels?

Thanks!

http://nci x.com/products/index.php?sku=56240&vpn=AX6850%201GBD5-DH&manufacture=PowerColor&promoid=1338

13. Dangman

Dangman Ninja Editor SuperMod

About a 15% performance difference