HELP! Fans running amok

Folly

Weaksauce
Just switched my PC from one case to another, everything is the same except the case and fans, for some reason my fans are all running either at (or close to) full speed. This was not an issue in the previous case with the other fans.

I've tried lowering the speeds and setting manual curves in Bios, 400 RPM low end
I tried doing the same using SpeedFan

One thing I noticed in speedfan is certain sensors are reading at extremely high temps even when the system is idle -
AUXTIN0: 120C+
AUXTIN1: 120C+
AUXTIN3: 120C+
Everything else is appears normal and matches up with HWMonitor readings, I'm wondering if those hopefully false readings are forcing the fans into turbo mode?
In HWMonitor there is one sensor TIMPIN4 showing at 100C+

Case: FT02
CPU: i7 4790K @4.7 GHz (It was stable @ 4.8 in the previous case)

Fan layout
Chassis 1 = 3 x 180mm bottom intake on a three way splitter - Silverstone AP183 400-1500 RPM. (In the previous case this connector was linked to 3 x 140 mm Nanoxia front intake fans)
Chassis 2 = 1 x 120mm top exhaust - Noctua 3000 RPM Industrial. (Same as the previous set up)
CPU = 2 x 140mm on the CPU cooler on a Y splitter- Stock Noctua 1500 RPM cooler fans. (Same as previous set up)

CPU is currently @ +/- 30C and case fans are all running at around 66% of max speed while the CPU fans running at maximum speed, of course I realise the case and fans themselves aren't the cause of this issue, it just seems odd that the problem appeared once they were changed, with the previous set up the fans would run at low RPM's when the system was not under load.
Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

hwm.PNG

Last edited:
Did your new case perhaps include 3-pin fans, while your old one was all 4-pin? Your motherboard may still be attempting PWM control where voltage control is what's needed. Check your BIOS for the ability to change your headers between PWM and voltage. Any fan with only three pins on the plug will need voltage control.

Did your new case perhaps include 3-pin fans, while your old one was all 4-pin? Your motherboard may still be attempting PWM control where voltage control is what's needed. Check your BIOS for the ability to change your headers between PWM and voltage. Any fan with only three pins on the plug will need voltage control.
Thanks for the reply.
I bought all new 4 pin fans for the case, but maybe voltage control vs PWM is the issue as the motherboard itself is fairly dated and the fans in the previous case were 3 pin with 4 pin splitters (except the cooler fans). I'm going to play around in the bios now and see if I can figure it out.

If motherboard fan headers are variable voltage PWM fans will run as variable voltage. Fan headers with variable voltage have variable voltage on pin-2 and nothing on pin-4. PWM fan headers have constant 12v pin-2 and pin-4 is PWM control signal

Reactions: Folly
like this
Specs
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Gene Z87
CPU: 4790K
RAM: 16GB DDR3 2400
GPU: 1660 Super
PSU: Corsair RM650

I pulled back the CPU's OC from 4.8 to 4.4 which dropped temps from 80C under heavy load to rarely hitting 60C, and in the bios I lowered fan profiles to 400RPM low and silent mode, but as in the OP they are all still running at or above 66% of their max speeds when the system is idle and all temps are below 30C.

The problem for me is mainly noise, although it's also frustrating that I can't impose my will upon the fans. As temps aren't an issue I've ordered a new 900 RPM ultra quiet fan to replace the 3000 RPM top exhaust, it's the closest to my eardrums so that should solve or at least limit the noise issue. However I would still love to gain control of the three intake fans.

I've got a 3 channel fan controller, the type that sits in the 5.25'' drive bays, which I originally bought to 'replace' the speed control switches that these cases come equipped with, unfortunately my SATA power cable won't quite reach unless I route it round the front of the motherboard, but if I do that it'll no longer reach the SSD's. Ideally I'd like to run a separate power cable to the fan controller.

Is it possible to run multiple SATA power cables from one PSU?
Is it possible to buy SATA power cables that have only one connector as opposed to the daisy chain variety? Failing that can you buy extra long ones?
And I'm guessing that I'll need a cable made specifically for my PSU, is that correct?

Strange problem.

Yes, you an use a SATA extension cable to extend it to your fan controller. I would get one no longer than needed. I think shortest are 20-30cm.

Reactions: Folly
like this
That one should work fine.
Cheers, just ordered one, didn't realise that SATA extensions were a thing so that was a big help.
Once it all arrives I'll fit everything and report the results here. Pleased that I'll get to use the fan controller, thought I'd have to sell it.

Glad I was able to help.

Just for additional info:
I like automated temp : fan speed, and when motherboard didn't do it I got Aqua Computer Aquaero 5LT (2x PWM channels) years ago). Now it's (59.90 EUO inc 15% tax). Several years later I move to 6LT to have 4x PWM channels (99.90 EUO inc 15% tax) . I use/used the lite models because aquasuite software is easier to use with monitor & mouse than on 5.25" face control, and is less money too. I now have a Quadro (39.90 EUO inc.15% tax) with 4x 25w PWM fan control circuits. All come with 1 year free aquasuite software. Software does not expire in year, but if you want to update software after 1st free year it's not very expensive to buy another year, but I've never needed to upgrade.

Glad I was able to help.

Just for additional info:
I like automated temp : fan speed, and when motherboard didn't do it I got Aqua Computer Aquaero 5LT (2x PWM channels) years ago). Now it's (59.90 EUO inc 15% tax). Several years later I move to 6LT to have 4x PWM channels (99.90 EUO inc 15% tax) . I use/used the lite models because aquasuite software is easier to use with monitor & mouse than on 5.25" face control, and is less money too. I now have a Quadro (39.90 EUO inc.15% tax) with 4x 25w PWM fan control circuits. All come with 1 year free aquasuite software. Software does not expire in year, but if you want to update software after 1st free year it's not very expensive to buy another year, but I've never needed to upgrade.
+1 on the Aquaero. The cost feels steep, but when you consider that it will transfer from build to build and that you'll never need to worry about motherboard fan control capabilities again... Solid investment for any system, and especially useful if you decide to get into watercooling.

What is your new case brand/moel number, versus your old one? Cooling WILL be impeded by a chassis with poor airflow, and I'm amazed no one has asked you for this.

Case is listed 5th paragraph opening post.

Cooling WILL also be impeded by low fan speed, dirty filters, and any of many other things in our systems.

Back