Help! Exchange 2000 no mail in Inbox according to Outlook 2003

98EXL

Gawd
Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls, children of all ages....I'm completely stumped here. We are a small business, <10 people here, and two of us get no email in our Inbox's. The retarded thing is that when we log into OWA.....the email is there?

Any ideas?

What have you done to troubleshoot the issue?
Do you have customized views set in Outlook? Try changing the view to see if the emails are still "missing".

Also be aware there Microsoft is not making a patch publicy available for the Daylight Savings Time issue unless you have an extended support contract with them.

No custom views. This has been happening sparatically in terms of when it happens, and who it happens to. I can't figure out why it's not showing up in Outlook, makes no sense

No custom views. This has been happening sparatically in terms of when it happens, and who it happens to. I can't figure out why it's not showing up in Outlook, makes no sense

OK. What have you done to troubleshoot the issue?

Is outlook set for cached exchange mode?

Have you tried deleting the outlook profile and re-creating it?

when there's no mail in the box, can you send mail? For that matter, will new mail show up?

OK. What have you done to troubleshoot the issue?

poked around Exchange Manager, and AD to see if there was anything out of the ordinary going on.

Is outlook set for cached exchange mode?

Have you tried deleting the outlook profile and re-creating it?

when there's no mail in the box, can you send mail? For that matter, will new mail show up?

outlook is set for cached mode.
have NOT tried deleting the profile
I can send mail to people, my web email no problem....the inbound emails even show up in the exchange store, just not to outlook

any odd things in the event log of the exchange server, or the workstations?

what about logging in to the mailboxes from a different workstation via outlook?

nothing in the event logs that pertains to the particular mailboxes, or anything within outlook on the clients

nope, never messed with the views before....and I went an double checked.....and even on a freshly built PC....same deal

nope, never messed with the views before....and I went an double checked.....and even on a freshly built PC....same deal

If you are sure it's not a view setting (I'm really surprised it's not the problem) then you need to see if the issue is on the Outlook side or the Exchange side.

Setup Outlook on a spare machine (laptop, whatever) for one of the mailboxes and see if you get the same thing. If it's ok, then you have a problem in Outlook. If it's the same, then something is corrupted in the mailbox. If the mailbox has the problem, make sure the person's mail is backed up to a PST and then nuke the mailbox and create a new one. It's probably easier to just nuke the whole account and create a new one. Then import the mail (and contacts, calendar) back from the PST.

I take it you have restarted the server already right?

It's not on the outlook side of things, it's on exchange. I can see my mail in the message store, but not in any outlook on any machine. The server was rebooted because of Automagic Updates, and sometimes when the server reboots, the Exchange/Symantec/Ninja (Anti Spam) services don't start. So I restarted all of the services, and I finally got all of my mail back from the exchange server, after nuking my own profile locally. However, I still don't get mail dated any sooner than Saturday....

I'm so fucking frustrated.....really the lack of knowledge of Exchange is killing me here

In Outlook, click on "View" then "Arrrange by", highlight "Current View" so that submenu is shown. Take a screenshot and post it here so we can see all of the menu options.

I bet it is an issue with the way that the AVAPI is configured with the Store scanning antivirus . This API will not allow access to a mail message via MAPI untill the message is scanned.

Considering that you say some of your services do not restart upon reboot, i'd say there's a much larger issue going on here...

In Outlook, click on "View" then "Arrrange by", highlight "Current View" so that submenu is shown. Take a screenshot and post it here so we can see all of the menu options.

377533153_477d1db685_o.jpg

I bet it is an issue with the way that the AVAPI is configured with the Store scanning antivirus . This API will not allow access to a mail message via MAPI untill the message is scanned.

I dunno, it's only 2 of us having an issue

Considering that you say some of your services do not restart upon reboot, i'd say there's a much larger issue going on here...

yeah, tell me about it. I (well, we) want to get the server to a 'normal' state before we upgrade it to 2k3.....

That is not the default View setting.
Try arrange by "DATE" instead of "Conversation" and see what happens.

Uncheck the cached mode if you havent already. I cant count the number of times cached mode fubars up a profile. Recreate the profile. I doubt it is the Views like people are suggesting.

That is not the default View setting.
Try arrange by "DATE" instead of "Conversation" and see what happens.

I hate to be an asshole but tell me how that is going to make a difference? There is no unread mail in the inbox, I don't care if it's at the top, or bottom, it's not there. It's not a view problem, I've so over that

Uncheck the cached mode if you havent already. I cant count the number of times cached mode fubars up a profile. Recreate the profile. I doubt it is the Views like people are suggesting.

What exactly does 'cached mode' mean/do?

I hate to be an asshole but tell me how that is going to make a difference? There is no unread mail in the inbox, I don't care if it's at the top, or bottom, it's not there. It's not a view problem, I've so over that

A view can make all the difference in what you see or in your case, don't see. Views are like filters and they have an impact far greater than simply seeing whats at the top or problem.

Make the change and let us know if that fixes the problem or not. If your not willing to try any suggestions from people who have far more experience than you, then I doubt your going to get much more help from us.

Got it figured out!!!!!!!!!!!!

.........like I had said before, not a view problem. For shits and giggles, I unchecked 'cached mode' and boom, inbox flooded worse than New Orleans. Did it for the other guy who was having problems, same thing. Things are so much better now.

Sorry for flying off the handle in my last post, I was getting extremely frustrated, and was going to loose it, but all is good now, thanks for everyones help

How about clicking on the "send & receive" button? What type of reaction does outlook give you?

Also, does the user have the correct permissions to that specific mailbox(to be checked in AD as well as xchange manager)?

How about clicking on the "send & receive" button? What type of reaction does outlook give you?

Also, does the user have the correct permissions to that specific mailbox(to be checked in AD as well as xchange manager)?

I guess you didn't see that everything is working now. Pressing S&R didn't 'do' anything and yes the user had correct permissions and everything. It came down to a 'cached mode' problem.

I guess you didn't see that everything is working now. Pressing S&R didn't 'do' anything and yes the user had correct permissions and everything. It came down to a 'cached mode' problem.

Glad to hear that was what it was. I really cant count how many times ive seen cached mode screw up peoples outlook.

Glad to hear that was what it was. I really cant count how many times ive seen cached mode screw up peoples outlook.

this was the first time I've ever seen it as a 'user' before........dunno why. At this point I don't care either, but I put it on my rainy day scratch pad of stuff to read

Back