Help downloading Win7 SP1

Hi everyone,

I'm doing a clean install of Windows 7 and I need to download Service Pack 1 for 64-bit Windows. When I go to the Microsoft download page, I'm presented with a number of download options and I'm not sure which one to get. Could somebody help me?

My system is Windows 7 64-bit, Intel Core i7.

This is the download page:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5842

I would be very grateful for your help. It would be great if Microsoft decided to make this easier.

why not get the full ISO from Microsoft that has SP1 baked in?
and I agree that is one confusing page they got.

it's this one one you need
windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe

EDIT; if you didn't know, you can download Windows 10 and use your win7 key at install and that should get you up and running in no time :)

Last edited:
You need
windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe
903.2 MB
Put a check in the box next to that, then click 'Next' and it'll start downloading.

What are the differences between these - the ones with the "u"?
en_windows_7_home_premium_with_sp1_x86_dvd_620895.iso
en_windows_7_home_premium_with_sp1_x64_dvd_620851.iso
en_windows_7_home_premium_with_sp1_x86_dvd_u_676701.iso
en_windows_7_home_premium_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_676549.iso

Well, if you want to do a proper clean install then doing it from the SP1 media ain't actually the way to get it done since after that install you're looking at downloading close to 300 updates and waste about 2-2.5GB of bandwidth (in case you're wondering or you're on a limited bandwidth connection). The smartest thing to do is to create yourself a fully updated (and by that I mean it's got all the relevant updates and nothing that people don't want like the retroactive telemetry crap now being added to Windows 7 and 8/8.1).

The U designation is explained by another [H] member pretty succinctly:

x17-58997.iso is the Media Refresh SP1-U:

This new issue fixes a minor issue when using the original Windows 7 SP1 media to install Win7 w/SP1 on a new PC. The Windows 7 SP1-U (Media Refresh version) adds the installation hotfix KB2534111, and nothing else. No other changes have been made to the Windows 7 with SP1 ISO image despite there are several updates that have been released after the original Windows 7 SP1 was released.

I just grabbed the latest Update Pack (yes the site is in Russian, use Google Translate or Chrome if necessary) and finished another integration round a few minutes ago as it just so happens, been using simplix's Update Pack for a few years now and never had any issues with it. After the integration is done you'll have a new fully updated install.wim file that you copy to the USB stick (replacing the original SP1 version) and when you're done with the installation you're about as good to go as you can be. Sure you can then hit Windows Update if you want but what you'd end up getting would be all those nasty little bugger updates that add telemetry and all sorts of crap nobody actually wants. ;)

As for it being a Russian site, well, I can't do anything about other people's fear and paranoia, the files always check out completely and all the Microsoft digital signatures on all the system files are exactly as they should be after a full sfc /scannow pass (which I do in a VM so I know that what I created is actually useful and not tampered with).

It works for me, it takes maybe 15 minutes to do new updates - if you do the actual original SP1 install.wim it could take an hour or two depending on your machine's CPU/RAM and storage speeds because it's integrating a lot of updates and data but once you have an updated install.wim as new monthly updates are released the integration only has to add the updates from the past month so usually just a handful at most and that takes much much less time to do.

My current install.wim is now 4.1GB in size compared to the original SP1 install.wim (for 64-bit) being 2.9GB but when I'm done with the install in 10 minutes I'm done with the install, if you get the drift. ;)

Back