Help - Domain on Vista Ultimate

DragoonTD

Limp Gawd
Guys,
I need your help/suggestion on something. I am working with someone who owns a Vista Ultimate system and is part of a domain. When I click on the Network folder, I do not see any other computers. However, if I type in the ip address of a computer on the domain on the address bar, I will be able to login and see the share folders. Is there some sort of security policy that needs to be enable or something? Maybe he setup the domain wrong somehow? The other computers are all XP base and this computer is the only Vista system. Lets not talk about how Vista suck and I should tell them to go back to XP. I know I'm not network savvy like a lot of you, but I'm learning. :D

What the customer want is to click on the Network folder and see all the computer on the network. How do I go about accomplish this task? Thanks in advance.

Do you get a popup bar that states "network discovery is turned off"? I have mine set that way, therefore cannot see other computers on the network via that interface.

welcome to vista + domain...

by chance, was this a vista xxx computer, that was upgraded to ultimate to be put on a domain... if the answer is yes, you are screwed

What is it using for DNS?

I'm not understanding the question. He couldnt get online before, but now he's able to. The network guy said it was because of DNS. Unfortunately, the network guy is not familiar with Vista. The server see the computer and the computer can ping the server. The problem is the other computer on the network isnt showing up for some weird reason.

Do you get a popup bar that states "network discovery is turned off"? I have mine set that way, therefore cannot see other computers on the network via that interface.

I didnt see it. I will double check and hope it's easy as this.

welcome to vista + domain...

by chance, was this a vista xxx computer, that was upgraded to ultimate to be put on a domain... if the answer is yes, you are screwed

This is a clean install to Vista Ultimate.

Haven't had an issue yet with Vista Biz and 2K3 domains...only complaint so far is sorta sluggish network browsing.

;) At the risk of being flamed by Vista fanboys (all three of them), I've found everything in Vista to be sorta sluggish!

;) At the risk of being flamed by Vista fanboys (all three of them), I've found everything in Vista to be sorta sluggish!

I'm not a fan of it...yes it's bloated and there's a lot of things I don't like about it, and it needs horsepower to run well (Core2Duo higher/2 gigs RAM higher)....but in all honesty..so far I haven't had issues networking it....jumps into a domain just fine.

I'm not understanding the question. He couldnt get online before, but now he's able to. The network guy said it was because of DNS.

Err...trying to rephrase. "Exactly what is it using for it's DNS server?" Hopefully it's using the domain controllers IP address for its DNS server, and not the routers IP or the ISPs DNS servers. I don't know what is confusing the IT guy when he says "The network guy said it was because of DNS."....DNS would be the same for any workstation on the domain..be it Vista, XP, or 2K.

Every computer can ping. The keys are....is the computer getting replies to the ping, and is the ping to an IP address, or a netbios or domain name? As name resolution needs to be seen.

Haven't had an issue yet with Vista Biz and 2K3 domains...only complaint so far is sorta sluggish network browsing.

of the 5 or 6 test units we have had, only random installs were problematic, but there were some problems with joining it to a domain a few times, these were all ultimate...

our boss insisted on buying some craptastic laptop from bestbuy with home on it, and making us upgrade to ultimate... TROUBLE, tried it every way imaginable with 2 different models from bby, neither worked, had to do full install or it was a waste of time.

Back