HELP! Do I have a lemon? MSI P67-GD65

PR1975

n00b
OK... Backstory: I finally decided to get back in the crazy world of desktops after being gone to laptop-land for a while. I did all my reading and found (IMHO) what offered the best bang/buck.

Specs:
MSI P67-GD65 (1.B bios)
EVGA GTX570 (270.61 drivers)
4GB CORSAIR Vengeance 1600 memory
XFX 750W Black Edition PSU
Intel i7 2600k
Corsair H50 Cooler
Win7 Home Premium (x64)

Not bad. Mostly. Here's the rub... games like Starcraft 2 sometimes have flaky textures, where lines will come shooting out of them (to some vanishing point/light source), ARMA 2 flat out won't run, and Borderlands occasionally drops textures, and every day (usually with Flash) the driver will need to be recovered by Windows. I'm running no overclocks, even XMP.

So what gives? WTF is up with this? Is my choice of games poor or do I have some jacked up component someplace? MSI sucks? I sent the first video card back (this 570 is my second), because the first wouldn't even load the drivers... .from a stock install!

C'mon [H]'ers... you're my only hope.

-P

I'd guess EVGA GTX570 is either broken or overheating or which is more probable since you have 2nd card already XFX 750W Black Edition PSU is broken

I would do a fresh Windows installation for a starter. On a separate partition. In case local Win preservation group asks.

Then you have a faulty piece of hardware - GFX card, PSU, RAM or MOBO. Next ...

if you have spare of video card, start with that, then if the problem still persist, try just a single RAM and if that still doesnt solve your problem, try other PSU then MOBO next.. good luck

Yeah... but where to start? Peh.

-P

I'll assume you have limited hardware for testing, so lets start with what you can reasonable conclude via software testings first.

Run memtest86, you can do this actually from the motherboards UEFI (it should be built in). See if it completes all tests.

Then get something to monitor hardware (specifically for temps), something like Hardware Monitor can do both the GPU and CPU for simplicity. Test first using prime95 in blend (CPU/Mem), then prime95 small ffts or using Intel Burn Test or OCCT (CPU). Move on to your GPU and try it with Unigine Heaven, Furmark or OCCT.

The software reading for voltages is most likely flaky, but you will want to watch if there is high fluctuations on the 12V as well when running these.

OK... awesome advice, I appreciate it.

I've used the UEFI memtest and it came out OK. So I might try memtest86 for a second opinion.

I had Unigine Santuary running on DX11 and didn't see any issues. I had hwmonitor running, but what am I looking for with reagrds to voltage?

I'll give Prime95 a shot (along with the other two).

Yeah... It's a pain in the a$$ when you don't have a testbench at home.

-P

What were the temps when you were running the tests?

You mention that Unigine displayed no errors? Are all your games running with issues or just the 3 listed? Which driver do you have installed?

Although I wonder if this is related to the issue described here - http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1581660

Try adjusting spread spectrum in UEFI.

You actually might want to use HWinfo32 instead (get the portable version to avoid installing), the 12V reading is slightly better on it (well to the extent it can be for software). What you want to look for the is the 12V PSU rail reading (for either program) to see if it changes a lot.

The FASTEST way to determine if the motherboard is at fault is to switch to another X16 PCIE connector (or even use an X8 one). If you have the same problems, then you know it's the video card. If problems completely go away, and then they return when you switch back to the first slot, it's the motherboard.

The FASTEST way to determine if the motherboard is at fault is to switch to another X16 PCIE connector (or even use an X8 one). If you have the same problems, then you know it's the video card.

:confused:

Only way to confirm a faulty card in one go, is to plug it in a 100% healthy system.

Back