help disabling SMART in BIOS

Gabriel2

Limp Gawd
I have a ROG GL502VS Asus laptop and since May, I have not been able to update windows 10 because it hangs on the logo screen.
According to this thread, I have to disable SMART in BIOS, but I don't know what that means.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...G-logo-while-installing-Windows-Update-solved

What key do I press when I turn on the laptop to access BIOS?
where can I find SMART setting?
do I need to turn it back on if windows updates successfully?

jam on f9, f10, f11 and f12 on power up, one of them should get you to the bios or a boot option/menu. not sure where to look , not familiar with that unit. there should be a hardware section or something like that. just look for it i guess. you should turn it back on after youre done the update.

I've had a great deal of success with simply resetting the bios to factory defaults in these situations. For some reason secure boot seems to fall over and halt the boot process at times, a bios reset seems to fix it.

Perhaps there's a problem with your hard drive if your mobo hangs to S.M.A.R.T checks.

/me waits for the moment when the OP comes back to say because he can't get the laptop booted into Windows obviously he can't run Windows programs that could tell him if the hard drive has some S.M.A.R.T. issue...

OP: go to the Asus website, the support section (on whatever device you're using now or whatever you used to get online to make that post above), find the manual for your laptop, read it, find the info about which key to press to get into the BIOS/UEFI when the laptop boots up, go through the options in the BIOS/UEFI one part at a time, find the S.M.A.R.T. option, set it for disabled, save the settings (usually F10 in most BIOS/UEFI situations), reboot and see what happens.

If you require seeing the S.M.A.R.T. data outside of Windows, use any modern Linux distro like Ubuntu, Linux Mint, whatever, from a bootable USB stick (you'll have to create that using some tool to write the ISO you'll need to download plus the USB stick too, of course, and a computer do all that too 'cause you ain't gonna do that from a smartphone), and then go into the disk options or utility and it *should* allow you to see the S.M.A.R.T. status of the given drive.

Oddly enough there is a tool nowadays that lets you put bootable ISOs on an Android smartphone and then boot them from the smartphone when it's attached to a computer, pretty cool stuff.

I have a ROG GL502VS Asus laptop and since May, I have not been able to update windows 10 because it hangs on the logo screen.
According to this thread, I have to disable SMART in BIOS, but I don't know what that means.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...G-logo-while-installing-Windows-Update-solved

What key do I press when I turn on the laptop to access BIOS?
where can I find SMART setting?
do I need to turn it back on if windows updates successfully?

I have the same laptop and went through the same struggles with the creators update. F2 to get into BIOS, and then SMART off under chipset. Yes you can turn SMART back on after the update installs. If you mess with the NVME driver going from Microsoft to Samsung you will BSOD. For build 1803 I had to perform the Windows 10 reset and then upgrade. The disabling of SMART workaround did not work. The laptop really needs a BIOS update....

Perhaps there's a problem with your hard drive if your mobo hangs to S.M.A.R.T checks.

Sadly it is not a hardware issue but a firmware/driver issue with the latest Windows 10 builds. The ASUS ROG forums is full of everyone complaining.

Back