Help diagnosing sudden shut off.

raz-0

Supreme [H]ardness
So, I built myself a new system end of October, and mid doing stuff just had it power off on me accompanied by a mattlic "tink" sound kind of like plucking a heat sink fin with your fingernail.

Any idea what the hell that might be? Nothing else in the house had issues, no light flicker, UPS didn't trip, whole house surge suppressor is happy, etc.

I took a look inside and all looks and smells normal. It booted up again and seems fine so far, but I don't like weird crap like that. My knee jerk reaction is to assume overvoltage/undervoltage/short circuit protection, but I have never had experience with such and can't fathom why it would start now or if it fits the odd sound it made.

Also the system has been super stable and otherwise running like a top. It's been on mostly 24-7 since about 10-23 and only being rebooted for windows or driver updates if needed and a couple of times I wanted to crack open the case and adjust my fan setup.

Am I being paranoid over power gremlins or is there something I should check?

Benchmarking and stress testing, the CPU has never gone above 85.1C and GPU never went above 78C. Typical actual use seems to stay under 74C for both. This happened while reading email and talking to coworkers in slack. Super low load.
ETA: (adding some more info, 85.1C max was with linpack using OCCT. I broke out prime95 and the high heat test gets me to 93C. Large FFT gets me 82C)

Current setup (PBO on, sets base all core clock to 4050 Mhz)
ncase m-1
Asus rog strix b550-i
3700x
32 gigs corsiar lpx 3200
3080FE
2TB silicon power NVME 4.0
2TB XPG SX2800 pro NVME 3.0
silverstone sx700-pt (fan facing external)
noctua NH-c14s running a noctua 120mm fan and kryonaut compound.
4 scythe kaze 120mm slim fans 2 bottom intake, 2 side exhaust.
windows 10

Last edited:
Sounds like some kind of arc. Would recommend checking all components including the mb for loose screws, and check the back for clearance around solder joints.

No loose screws, nothing looked wonky about the board when set up. I've never had an arc that let you go back to doing stuff all happy like. It's also pretty full of holes as a case and right near me on the desk. No flashes to go with the noise, no ozone smell.

After bringing it back up it has gone through 10 minutes of prime95 heat abuse, 20 minutes of P95 blended mode, about half an hour of linpak, and about half an hour of looping firestrike extreme stress test (which turned out to not be particularly extreme and got me CPU temps bouncing between 58 and 62C and gpu temps of 68C).

Make sure all of your power cables are firmly plugged into the board and any accessories. Also, make sure the PSU power cable isn't loose where it plugs into the PSU.

Make sure all of your power cables are firmly plugged into the board and any accessories. Also, make sure the PSU power cable isn't loose where it plugs into the PSU.

Inside the case is solid. Cord to the wall might be possible, no way to tell since I disconnected it to open and do the initial check that nothing went poof.

Normally in cases with inexplicable stuff like this - I usually take everything apart down to the metal and re-assemble again. Just to make sure I didn't miss anything. Sure it's a time sink but it's the only way to be sure.

I think I found the source. Looks like a fan extension got manhandled during assembly/reassembly and could have shorted on the heat sink.

We'll give Nobu the point with an assist by DooKey.

Back