Help deciding please. Headset/sound card

EvilViking

I Drank All Your Beer
Hello there. I'm currently using my on board Realtek ALC888B and my headset took a crap. I'm looking for a replacement headphone/set. I have been reading for over a month and I can't decide. I was dead set on the Corsair HS1 to avoid the on board sound (USB) I actually bought them but they were defective right out of the box (Frayed Wire). I also purchased and returned the Razer Charcarias' but I didnt like the sound. Too "Chimey"

I game 80% (WOW/SC2/FPS) and movies/music 20% of the time. The more I read online the more lost I get on what to purchase. I want to spend around $100-150 total. What should I do? Get a sound card and decent headphones? Get the HS1's. Use my on board sound with Sennheiser PC350's? I'm totally lost.

I like the closed over the ear design (studio style)

Any help in helping me decide is much appreciated. Thanks.

G35? I find they're pretty good value overall, especially now you can get them discounted in many places. Whine issue was solved early last year.

Try the steelseries 7h. A bit expensive but from what I've read the sound is pretty good. And never underestimate the benefit of a nice sound card. I've just recently upgraded to a Creative Titanium HD after reading the reviews and I can tell you that the quality is light years ahead of my onboard audio! If you're in the market for something cheaper try the Xonar DG (less than 30$ on amazon) and pair it with the 7h or a set of G35s.

Try the steelseries 7h. A bit expensive but from what I've read the sound is pretty good. And never underestimate the benefit of a nice sound card. I've just recently upgraded to a Creative Titanium HD after reading the reviews and I can tell you that the quality is light years ahead of my onboard audio! If you're in the market for something cheaper try the Xonar DG (less than 30$ on amazon) and pair it with the 7h or a set of G35s.

Arnt the G35s USB only?

Xonar DG $33 shipped- $10 MIR = $23

Sennheiser HD555 Open Circumaural Headphones $94.93 Shipped

Zalman ZM-MIC1 Clip On Mic $6.99 + 5.99 shipping = $12.98 Shipped

GRAND TOTAL = $140.91 out of pocket or $130.91 after MIR

Almost $20 under your budget of $150. This will give you some headroom for headphone choices. If you want sealed headphones you could get Audio Technica ATH-M50 for $109.95 or the Sennheiser 280 Pro for $92.95 shipped.

I personally use Sennheiser HD555 with the Zalman clip on mic and it sounds awesome. These are probably the most comfortable headphones I've ever tried. The Zalman clip on mic works really well too.

The Xonar DG soundcard I recommended has built in EAX emulation, Dolby Headphone, and most importantly a built in headphone amp to drive most headphones. I think the maximum rated impedance recommended is 150 ohms. All of the headphones that fit your budget are 80 ohms or less so you'll be fine. I recently bought a soundcard with a built in amplifier and WOW does it really help bring out the bass and fullness of the sound.

Hope this helps.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the info. The Senn HD 555s look great but they don't have an in line volume control. /bangheadagainstwall They looked perfect! I'm thinking I may go with the HD555s and try to make them work.

I may be using what ever headset I get on my PS3 so I guess I will need an inline volume control. I guess at this point I don't mind if the are open air or closed. Just as long as they go over my ear completely.

Thanks for the info. The Senn HD 555s look great but they don't have an in line volume control. /bangheadagainstwall They looked perfect! I'm thinking I may go with the HD555s and try to make them work.

I may be using what ever headset I get on my PS3 so I guess I will need an inline volume control. I guess at this point I don't mind if the are open air or closed. Just as long as they go over my ear completely.

Generally open headphones are better closed ones. Alot of closed headphones make the music play inside your head which can lead to listening fatigue over an extended period of time. Open headphones allow the sound to seem to come from outside your ears which puts less strain on your ears but also create a better sound stage. They can provide much better audio positioning not like someone is going to sneak up and knife you in WOW hahaha.

I think the key is to ditch a headset together and get real headphones. They will give you a more enjoyable listening experience over all. My HD555's are great for movies. Dolby headphone gives you an almost 5.1/7.1 experience in your headphones.

I wouldn't let inline volume control keep you from getting a nice pair of headphones. I would probably look for an external volume control solution. I'm sure you can get something like that at radioshack.

Generally open headphones are better closed ones. Alot of closed headphones make the music play inside your head which can lead to listening fatigue over an extended period of time. Open headphones allow the sound to seem to come from outside your ears which puts less strain on your ears but also create a better sound stage. They can provide much better audio positioning not like someone is going to sneak up and knife you in WOW hahaha.

I think the key is to ditch a headset together and get real headphones. They will give you a more enjoyable listening experience over all. My HD555's are great for movies. Dolby headphone gives you an almost 5.1/7.1 experience in your headphones.

I wouldn't let inline volume control keep you from getting a nice pair of headphones. I would probably look for an external volume control solution. I'm sure you can get something like that at radioshack.

Ya. The more I read, the more I think an open ear would be best. And I would rather get nice headphones than a headset. Probably going to get the Sound Card you listed. Seems like a good price. And pick up the HD555's. Waiting for Tigerdirect to refund my HS1 purchase. Thanks =)

Ya. The more I read, the more I think an open ear would be best. And I would rather get nice headphones than a headset. Probably going to get the Sound Card you listed. Seems like a good price. And pick up the HD555's. Waiting for Tigerdirect to refund my HS1 purchase. Thanks =)

What didn't you like about the HS1's?

The HS1's are great.

I have tears waiting for mine to come back from RMA.

I'm stuck with a Logitech speaker setup in 2.1 mode till then, and I HATE gaming without a headset.

The bass is incredible compared to headphones, but feeling the mortar shells in BC2V hit wears on your chest cavity :)

You won't find an inline volume control on a good pair of headphones. Ever. Unless they are some earbuds or something for an ipod.

Look at Denon, Sennheiser, Grado, Beyerdynamic or AKG for some good, low cost cans. Stay away from the trash that those soundcard companies put out for cans.

As for soundcards, I have no clue what is good out there. I always just end up using the onboard one. Usually the motherboards I buy come with a really decent soundcard that plug into a pci express slot.

The 555's are a solid budge choice though that don't need to be powered by an amp. Look at the HD 448's as well. Or if you can find these for a reasonable price to fit your budget, the Audio Technica ATH-AD500 or Sennheiser HD595's are really nice entry level audiophile cans. I'm considering selling off my HD595's.

Last edited:

Closed headphones shouldn't give you fatigue if they are good, quality cans. I've had these Denon ah-d7000's on for nearly 4 hours now and I'm fine.

What didn't you like about the HS1's?

The HS1's looked like they were a return. And the cord was frayed. I didn't even get to hear them. I called Tigerdirect and they were happy to have them sent back. All the reviews I read they sounded like a nice fit. Im waiting for the HS1s to get to tigerdirect and have my money refunded.

So far I am narrowing it down to the HS1s or The Sound card listed above with either the Sennheiser HD555 or Audio Technica AD700. Honestly I dont think any of them are a wrong way to go. I just want to get the best for my budget.

The HS1's looked like they were a return. And the cord was frayed. I didn't even get to hear them. I called Tigerdirect and they were happy to have them sent back. All the reviews I read they sounded like a nice fit. Im waiting for the HS1s to get to tigerdirect and have my money refunded.

So far I am narrowing it down to the HS1s or The Sound card listed above with either the Sennheiser HD555 or Audio Technica AD700. Honestly I dont think any of them are a wrong way to go. I just want to get the best for my budget.

The AD700's are sweet. I thought your total budget was $150 though?

Closed headphones shouldn't give you fatigue if they are good, quality cans. I've had these Denon ah-d7000's on for nearly 4 hours now and I'm fine.

The D7000s dont exactly fall into the TS's budget of $100-150 for soundcard, headphones, and mic.

I don't believe the HS1's are compatible with the PS3. I thought you needed something to use with your PC as well as your PS3.

The D7000s dont exactly fall into the TS's budget of $100-150 for soundcard, headphones, and mic.

I was just giving an example of how closed back cans don't always give listening fatigue. I used to never want them because I thought they would all do that, but I took a gamble with these and I got lucky.

I would get the PC350's and a Xi-Fi Gamer. In your budget. Sound damn good. Have the inline you are looking for.

I would get the PC350's and a Xi-Fi Gamer. In your budget. Sound damn good. Have the inline you are looking for.

Isnt the PC350 $170 alone? That's well over his $150 budget and doesnt even include some sort of soundcard.

PC350s actually are based off the HD555s but do not sound as good.

Thanks again guys. Been reading reviews like a crack head. lol. So keeping this entire purchase "Budget Minded" I already ordered the Xonar DG for the amped headphone jack and ordered a cheap mic.

As far as headphones go, I narrowed it down the Audio Technica A700. I don't want to disturb people with late night gaming sessions so I have to pick a closed set up. Any alternate suggestions before I purchase these closed A700s?

Back