Help deciding between Fury X and 980 Ti

alex.rizea

Limp Gawd
Hey guys!

I know it seems like a dumb/already answered questions but please bear with me.

A friend of mine sells a Strix Fury wich he unlocked into a Fury-X and i only have 3 or 4 days to decide.

Will be gaming 1920 x 1080 @ 144Hz.

Games i play: Crysis 3, Metro, COD, BF4 and any NFS on Win7

With the new Crimson drivers i saw amd got a boost in performance.

I personally do not care if it's AMD or NVIDIA and the difference in money will be at about 200$ in favour of AMD.

I really want oppinions from people who tested both. The update will be from a 980.

I hope i covered everything.

Thanks guys!

Cheers,
Alex

Would you be selling your gtx 980? It's tough to justify an upgrade from that. Whats the end cost to you?

I switched from 2 780s that were voltage unlocked and overclocked to 1350 on the cores. The 980ti is 1500/8000. Performance wise they're fairly even.

I myself for some odd reason want a furyX but if you have a 980, I'm not sure how much more you'll gain.

If you break even between 980 to fury I'd do that. At the same time, just because it unlocks to a furyX I hope your friend doesn't charge you much more for it.

I already sold my 980 and initially bought a 980 Ti SC+ from the sale section of this forum. Now my friend called me and offered his unlocked Strix Fury. If i choose to sell the 980 Ti and go for his Fury, it will be a difference of about 200$.

I know it's a big difference in money, but i really want to enjoy the card i'll be keeping without regreting that the other was better.

I like to play all maxxed out and the 980 wasn't up for it in Metro 2033. I had to turn down the AA.

Plus i want a card i will not change for at least a year or so.

If you already have the 980Ti, ask your friend if you can borrow the Fury and do a side by side for a day or two with the games you play. In some cases the 980Ti will be better, in others the Fury more than likely, but it's one of those things you really need to try out in person if you can.

I already sold my 980 and initially bought a 980 Ti SC+ from the sale section of this forum. Now my friend called me and offered his unlocked Strix Fury. If i choose to sell the 980 Ti and go for his Fury, it will be a difference of about 200$.

I know it's a big difference in money, but i really want to enjoy the card i'll be keeping without regreting that the other was better.

I like to play all maxxed out and the 980 wasn't up for it in Metro 2033. I had to turn down the AA.

Plus i want a card i will not change for at least a year or so.
That is a regular Fury, not a Fury X regardless of whether it's unlocked or not. In the games you listed the 980 Ti stomps all over the Fury in each one at 1920x1080. The Fury X comes closer, but overall it's still a runaway for the 980 Ti.

Battlefield 4 (22.7% slower)
COD: Advanced Warfare (20.8% slower)
Crysis 3 (14% slower)
Metro: Last Light (11.8% slower)

And the Crimson driver shows between a 1% and 5% increase in relative performance at 1920x1080.

And remember that when it comes to overclocking, the 980 Ti can go much further than the Fury.

Borrow it and see how they compare. Overclocking both to the max. This way you'll know for sure.

Thanks for all your answers guys!

Really helped me take a pick: i'll probably stay with the 980 Ti.

I'll get tha card from him anyway but i really doubt it will impress me when compared to the Ti. Sure, the Strix implementation is fantastic for sure, but real-life power the fury will be much slower.

Just needed another confirmation.

Cheers and thanks again for taking the time!

Another question is, are you planning on using Freesync or G-Sync? if neither of those technologies matter to you, then ignore this post.

Will not be using any of those (Gsync/Freesync) but thanks for the contribution :)

Yup, already bought a 980 Ti SC+ from the forum. I was only asking if i should keep it or not.

Thanks

the fury (non-x) is close to non-ti, 980! not 980 ti. the 980ti is a whole lot faster.

well......keep us posted of what you decide. Its no often people get to test both and decide from real results

I wouldn't buy either of them, and wait to see what AMD has with polaris. I would say you could wait until Nvidia's Pascal, but they are now saying 2H of 2016, which means July-Dec so not sure when that will be out.

Right now i would not buy a 28nm Video card.

I will tell you from past experience, once I have a faster card (like the gtx 980 Ti) I was never really happy with a slower one, no matter how much of a better value it was. I think your decision of keeping the 980 Ti is a good one.

Those were my thoughts exactly. So, in the last review on techpowerup, they put the fury x only 8% behind the Ti, but if you take the OC into account, the Ti is roughly 20% better while gaming. I'll stick with it for now but will get the chance to test them both head-to-head and get back with the results.

Source:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/R9_390_Nitro/23.html

Cheers!

Overclocking is over hyped like everyting else around here btw. Your gaming experience will not change over all by maximizing your OC. You may see better stats though. Thats the only thing you will notice. A 980Ti can play anything mostly at max settings @ default clocks on anything below 4k. You dont need to over clock unlesss your doing 4k or/and multi monitor setups for over 99% of games available today.

Last edited:
Overclocking is over hyped like everyting else around here btw. Your gaming experience will not change over all by maximizing your OC. You may see better stats though. Thats the only thing you will notice. A 980Ti can play anything mostly at max settings @ default clocks on anything below 4k. You dont need to over clock unlesss your doing 4k or/and multi monitor setups for over 99% of games available today.

I agree somewhat, people should try it off and see if they notice the difference. I do notice overclocking does sometimes help smooth some intensive game areas, but it is rare. For the most part, when you need power the most for intensive areas, the FPS for oc vs stock isn't that noticeable especially if you have G-Sync.

when you have Freesync....I personally don't but My Fury Xs got the horsepower to rock any game I play at UHD

and no..... it's not tetris lol

edit :and a bit bulky to be honest I had to get a case that is 2 bigtowers in one
they are CPU limited at extreme HD Valley bench

Last edited:
Don't have g-sync nore freesync. Only play at fullhd @ 144hz.

I agree, usually i keep my cards stock, the max oc is only for my peace of mind :)))

Guys... please, don't take any sides.

I will not lie, i do prefer nvidia but deep down i'm sure it's because of their marketing.

I kept on looking at videos and saw that in crysis 3, the fury x is slower by ~10FPS. Now that's a lot when speaking of 50-60FPS average.

In my case, choosing the unlocked fury x would be the better deal by far but i will always have a regret for choosing the second best...

UPDATE: I have gotten the Fury (X) from my friend and in METRO 2033 REDUX i have to lower the SSAA to 2x and the AF to 8x to be perfectly playable (exactly the same as with my old 980).

On wednesday i will have the Ti in my hands and i'll see what's what.

Will do more testing tonight on the STRIX FURY unlocked to FURY X and get back with scores and OC results.

BTW i cannot read the card's ASIC quality with GPUZ. Any ideas?

I've been switching up my build so much but at one point I had tri-SLI 980 Tis and I switched to a Fury to try it out with a FreeSync monitor... Was not happy. I had the issue where the card would downclock sometimes in JC2 and JC3 to like 600-800 MHz and the FPS would be poor. I had to use this third party utility, ClockBlocker, to make it stop. Also the OC potential was not very good and didn't translate into a huge improvement. I luckily still had one of the 980 Tis left (OC beast that nets me up to 25-30% perf increase) and decided to go back. IMO, AMD still needs to fix their shit and while Nvidia is nowhere near perfect, I've had much better luck with them over the past few years than with AMD (and I've had 2x 290X TriX, a 290X Lightning, 980 reference, 2x 980 Kingpin).

BTW, GPU-Z won't give you the ASIC on Fury/Fury X.

Don't have g-sync nore freesync. Only play at fullhd @ 144hz.

I agree, usually i keep my cards stock, the max oc is only for my peace of mind :)))

The 980ti is the easy choice, unless like others said money is an issue. You're spending so much anyways, might as well get the best.

Some games like the Witcher 3 or Farcry 4 take a 980ti if you want to run high fidelity. If you have extra FPS to burn try DSR + some MSAA. Never knew 1080P could look so good.

AMD does have VSR which is ~ the equivalent of DSR. I personally like things to just work, so for me right now that's nVidia single card solutions.

Last edited:

Says the man with no comprehension of other peoples experience and perhaps no experience where it matters.

Of my recent games, most have needed an overclock on my 980ti to get the smoothest experience at 1080p with highest quality settings.
namely:
Project Cars
GTA V
Witcher 3

Project Cars stutters when it drops below 60fps.
Its very bad when CPU limited but still significant when GPU limited.

I cant even max Witcher 3 with an overclock.
The only way to remain close to 60fps all the time is to disable Hairworks and to use 2133 res DSR instead of 4xAA.

Even Fallout 4 becomes GPU limited at times.

Running higher res than 1080p, an overclock is even more useful.

Says the man with no comprehension of other peoples experience and perhaps no experience where it matters.

Of my recent games, most have needed an overclock on my 980ti to get the smoothest experience at 1080p with highest quality settings.
namely:
Project Cars
GTA V
Witcher 3

Project Cars stutters when it drops below 60fps.
Its very bad when CPU limited but still significant when GPU limited.

I cant even max Witcher 3 with an overclock.
The only way to remain close to 60fps all the time is to disable Hairworks and to use 2133 res DSR instead of 4xAA.

Even Fallout 4 becomes heavily GPU limited at times unless shadow distance is reduced.

Running higher res than 1080p, an overclock is even more useful.
And consider that you can easily get another 15% performance (and often a lot more) from a clocked 980ti.

If you raise DSR to the Max and max every setting in GTAV, your fps will tank all the time, especially in grassy areas. Witcher 3 I max every setting and it only dips into the high 40's in crazy intense combat which is OK for a single player game (never a multiplayer game, need 100+fps there). Project Cars destroys my 4.65ghz overclock and my 980ti.

Project cars seems to be really CPU freq dependent. That game runs better on 4.6ghz 4790k then 4.3ghz 3930k (though could be a platform issue too) also reducing number of cars helps FPS too. Nice thing about G-Sync is really don't notice dips anymore so don't really need to OC to get smooth looking framerates.

Fury X is quieter and cooler than the 980TI which is really quite significant if you want a quiet case. Otherwise the 980TI is better.
http://techreport.com/review/28513/amd-radeon-r9-fury-x-graphics-card-reviewed/13

I just bought the Fury X at a good price from Jet, and am blown away by how fast it is compared to my AMD 285 card I was using. EA's Star Wars BattleFront went from mixed settings basically mid/high at about 45-55 FPS at 2560x1600 to ultra settings on everything at 140FPS at 2560x1600. HUGE difference in frame rate performance at higher graphical settings.

The temps of the fury x are irrelevant as i have the option to pick an unlocked STRIX FURY, but are still good (67 max).

Fury X is quieter and cooler than the 980TI which is really quite significant if you want a quiet case. Otherwise the 980TI is better.
http://techreport.com/review/28513/amd-radeon-r9-fury-x-graphics-card-reviewed/13

I just bought the Fury X at a good price from Jet, and am blown away by how fast it is compared to my AMD 285 card I was using. EA's Star Wars BattleFront went from mixed settings basically mid/high at about 45-55 FPS at 2560x1600 to ultra settings on everything at 140FPS at 2560x1600. HUGE difference in frame rate performance at higher graphical settings.

that depends entirely on the model of 980 Ti. the Palit Jetstream for example is quieter than the Fury X, and temperatures don't matter as long as they're under 80C, which every single third-party 980 Ti cooler can manage.

the Fury X is a terrible card, the only pro it has is that its reference cooler is a CLC. it loses to every 980 Ti in almost every game at almost every resolution at stock clocks, and when you compare the two overclocked it's not even close. then you look at something like the Palit Jetstream which is around $10 more than a reference 980 Ti and is quieter, faster, and much more efficient than the Fury X, and you just have to think "why does this card even exist?" not to mention the Fury X will end up costing you a lot more money in the long run because of its ridiculous power consumption and it has 2 GB less VRAM which will cause issues in at least one game already (Shadow of Mordor) at high resolutions.

the 980 Ti is the only card to look at above $400.

Last edited:
This is really a no-brainer. Keep the 980Ti. It's faster then Fury, it's faster then Fury X as well, that's before we take overclocking into account which Fury X is horrible at and the 980Ti is great at.

that depends entirely on the model of 980 Ti. the Palit Jetstream for example is quieter than the Fury X, and temperatures don't matter as long as they're under 80C, which every single third-party 980 Ti cooler can manage.

the Fury X is a terrible card, the only pro it has is that its reference cooler is a CLC. it loses to every 980 Ti in almost every game at almost every resolution at stock clocks, and when you compare the two overclocked it's not even close. then you look at something like the Palit Jetstream which is around $10 more than a reference 980 Ti and is quieter, faster, and much more efficient than the Fury X, and you just have to think "why does this card even exist?" not to mention the Fury X will end up costing you a lot more money in the long run because of its ridiculous power consumption and it has 2 GB less VRAM which will cause issues in at least one game already (Shadow of Mordor) at high resolutions.

the 980 Ti is the only card to look at above $400.

While I agree with the other points brought up, people really need to stop with the hyperbolic power consumption cost nonsense. If you actually sat down for a moment to crunch the numbers, you'll quickly realize just how much you have to game to even rack up a $30 difference every year, even when using Hawaiian rates which are highest in the country.

Yeah, the difference in a 500w at the wall machine vs a 1000w at the wall machine (talking about max draw, full-on draw numbers) is really minimal in the big picture -- the truth is, if you can afford to build either of them, you can afford to feed them. Also, unless you're retired and playing games all the time (super jealous) you aren't reaching those numbers often at all, so it's an even smaller difference in real cost. That said, the main difference is the higher the power draw the louder and the hotter a machine tends to be. Noise and heat matter to some people... a few hundred watts, rarely used, really doesn't.

Fury X and 980ti basically draw the same wattage (stock). Just looked up a review and it was 221W (Fury X) vs 233 (980ti). Given the 980ti is slightly faster so the perf/watt is slightly better but it's in the range of neglible to me.

What I find funny is when people say "xx" card is cooler! Then talk about OCing it. 15-20% gains for 40% more power usage when OCing it...

Back