HELP: Connecting laptop to TV to watch DVD's via analog!

rlee

Gawd
Not sure if this is the right forum, but I'm trying to connect my laptop to my TV through analog mode, but it won't just work. I have a dell i600m. I connected it through svideo on my friend's tv, and it works fine, so I know the process. The problem is, when I go to properties and displays, the TV is not detected, unlike when I use svideo. I used the s-video converter from my 9800 pro retail to connect it from my svideo plug on my laptop to the analog video plug on my TV. Anyone have any clues how to make this work? Thanks

The S-Video -> Composite adapters that come with many video cards will not work. What these do is just use 2 wires instead of 4, which the card detects. It then knows to output a composite signal. Unless there is a similar dongle specific to your laptop, you will need to find another solution, like this (just a random example I found on Google).

So I need a converter that plugs into the TV composite (then use a connection through svideo cable), instead of a converter that plugs into the laptop's svideo (then use a connection through composite cable)?

Basically I need a composite male -> s-video female, and plug that into the TV's composite female, and that will work? I dont understand why the other way dosent work, having a s-video male -> composite female converter on my laptop and connect them together using a composite cable from the converter to the TV's composite out.

can anyone confirm this? im about to buy the converter... this will work right?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15066&item=5705017755&rd=1

my tv only supports composite. So I can buy that converter, and plug it into the TV video female, and then connect my laptop to that converter using an svideo cable, and that should do the trick?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back