HELP Configuring 2 780 Ti's with 3 Dell 30" Displays

Guys,

All my Displays have DVI cables. How can I connect 3 Displays to 2 780 Ti's? Do I need to order a 3rd card and run Tri SLi if I want to use the same DVI cables or what else can I do?

Thx,

dc

2 dvi's in card one and 1 DVI in card #2
Yep, this should work fine.

Edit: Just realized you are using 3x 30" Displays. I don't think you can drive 2x 2560x1600 displays from a single GPU using DVI - do the 780 TIs have two dual-link DVI ports? You may have to get an active dual-link DVI to DisplayPort converter.

2 dvi's in card one and 1 DVI in card #2

Yep, this should work fine.

No it doesn't. One port is DVI-I (interlaced) the other is for DVI-D (digital) they need to be the same type to work to display both cards. I'm also having issues with my system recognizing the second card. Tested them both individually and they are recognized when each one is installed by itself but not together.

Ugh this sucks...

Wow are you serious? Even the 290s provide dual link x2 on their cards and I thought Nvidia began doing this on the 6 series.

Well, I'd personally go the route of DP and get the eVga dp hub.

Nope they stopped it....my 480's had 2 of both so connecting 3 monitors with 2 cards was easy. Well I got the cards working... I'm a little out of practice with my SLi rules... ok both cards work but I was dead right on the DVI-I and DVI-d rules. SOOOOOO.... to hell with another monitor cable... I ORDERED ANOTHER 780Ti ....WOOO HOO!!!! YEAH BABY.... Next Day Air.... What the Hell right you only live once right LOL.... so I'll enjoy that extra performance.... performance is significant going to Tri SLi actually...

Last edited:
Nope they stopped it....my 480's had 2 of both so connecting 3 monitors with 2 cards was easy. Well I got the cards working... I'm a little out of practice with my SLi rules... ok both cards work but I was dead right on the DVI-I and DVI-d rules. SOOOOOO.... to hell with another monitor cable... I ORDERED ANOTHER 780Ti ....WOOO HOO!!!! YEAH BABY.... Next Day Air.... What the Hell right you only live once right LOL.... so I'll enjoy that extra performance....
LOL.

Yeah that's my preferred way of solving that problem.

Also I did realize my mistake if you saw the edit ;)

Wow. This is the second time in 2 days I've had to respond to this dumb question. Both of the GTX 780 ti dvi outputs are dual-link. It's right on the nvidia spec page for the card.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-780-ti/specifications

But congrats on the 3rd card I guess.

Here's the other thread about nearly the same thing:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1801681

Maximum DVI res is 4096 both my displays are 2560 each. Also... I connected the third display and It Didn't Display Anything...

Specs state - One Dual Link DVI-I, One Dual Link DVI-D, One HDMI, One DisplayPortS

You cannot have 2 DVI-D connected to ports DVI-D and DVI-I and get the monitors to display on one card.. at least not in my house lol...

I'm not into a converter...and am actually looking forward to enjoying the additional performance gain...good for my system and with EVGA you can warranty those cards for 10 Years by adding thier additional warranty. Which I am doing with all 3. It's sweet, card fails they send you one of equal performance or better. Not a bad way to go if you have 3 awesome displays...

Last edited:
Maximum DVI res is 4096 both my displays are 2560 each. Also... I connected the third display and It Didn't Display Anything...

No. Just no. Maximum Dual-Link DVI resolution is 2560x1600@60Hz. The maximum HDMI resolution is 4096x2160@24Hz. Both of the DVI outputs on a GTX 780Ti are dual-link and capable of 2560x1600.

Source: Electrical engineer. I design and verify video hardware/firmware/software.

Now onto debugging your 3rd display issue. Are you sure that you're using a Dual-Link DVI cable? Check to make sure that the pinout on the cable connected to the monitor that doesn't work is the same as the cables for the working monitors. Your Dell 3007 monitor doesn't have an internal scaler so if you're not using the right kind of cable you'll get no image at all.

Specs state - One Dual Link DVI-I, One Dual Link DVI-D, One HDMI, One DisplayPortS

You cannot have 2 DVI-D connected to ports DVI-D and DVI-I and get the monitors to display on one card.. at least not in my house lol...

I'm not into a converter...and am actually looking forward to enjoying the additional performance gain...good for my system and with EVGA you can warranty those cards for 10 Years by adding thier additional warranty. Which I am doing with all 3. It's sweet, card fails they send you one of equal performance or better. Not a bad way to go if you have 3 awesome displays...

Now for the rest of your post that you edited in. DVI-I and DVI-D don't mean what you think they mean.

From Wikipedia:

"The DVI connector on a device is given one of three names, depending on which signals it implements:
DVI-D (digital only, single link or dual link)
DVI-A (analog only)
DVI-I (integrated, combines digital and analog in the same connector; digital may be single or dual link)"

DVI-I is included on the card so they don't need to put an old-school VGA connector on it. If someone needs VGA they can get a passive DVI-I to VGA adapter.

No. Just no. Maximum Dual-Link DVI resolution is 2560x1600@60Hz. The maximum HDMI resolution is 4096x2160@24Hz. Both of the DVI outputs on a GTX 780Ti are dual-link and capable of 2560x1600.

Source: Electrical engineer. I design and verify video hardware/firmware/software.

Now onto debugging your 3rd display issue. Are you sure that you're using a Dual-Link DVI cable? Check to make sure that the pinout on the cable connected to the monitor that doesn't work is the same as the cables for the working monitors. Your Dell 3007 monitor doesn't have an internal scaler so if you're not using the right kind of cable you'll get no image at all.

All three cables to all three displays are exactly the same. You got me on the 2560 thing above, I agree with you on that. Maybe the cables are just DVI-d single link... however my 480's had two separate ports and two cards could drive 3 displays..perhaps those ports were single link / dual link but because they were separate physical ports they worked with my monitors/cables. Anyway, the third card was ordered not only for the display but the additional performance and the warranty rocks so good all around lol... appreciate your information and help man... thanks.

I posted in your other thread concerning the performance gain, now I according to some suggestion on this forum I think your whole platform with that CPU at only 3.7 will limit these cards in 3-way SLI to death, anyone can confirm what I am saying ?

I posted in your other thread concerning the performance gain, now I according to some suggestion on this forum I think your whole platform with that CPU at only 3.7 will limit these cards in 3-way SLI to death, anyone can confirm what I am saying ?

Well buddy boy... I know the rest of my rig is probably due for an upgrade but wouldn't it be nice to benchmark those bad boys with what I have then after I upgrade the mobo and cpu? The 950 cpu is really a good one... ;)

Well buddy boy... I know the rest of my rig is probably due for an upgrade but wouldn't it be nice to benchmark those bad boys with what I have then after I upgrade the mobo and cpu? The 950 cpu is really a good one... ;)

I said that because there is nothing worse than getting these babies up and then not seeing them perform as well as you hope because other components are holding them back, and then it's all back to the waiting process again ordering stuff up, anyway congrats on your purchase man.

just one last question is there a reason why you have not clocked that cpu higher ? I know that these first gen 1366 can do 4.2 easy by just changing the imc voltage if my memory serves me correctly.

HDMI will work too. My 780ti drives my U3014 with an HDMI cable. How are they running so far?

EDIT: derp didn't realize you had 3007's. I miss mine, was a way better display for games than the 3014 is.

I said that because there is nothing worse than getting these babies up and then not seeing them perform as well as you hope because other components are holding them back, and then it's all back to the waiting process again ordering stuff up, anyway congrats on your purchase man.

just one last question is there a reason why you have not clocked that cpu higher ? I know that these first gen 1366 can do 4.2 easy by just changing the imc voltage if my memory serves me correctly.

Yes I did not do anything past the Rampage III Extreme's auto oc setting. 3.7 to 4.2... no big deal in real life. Now if I could get that to 4.5 or 4.7...well then nice. I'm actually looking now to upgrade the cpu and board and maybe even ram and case. Giving this pc to my bro in law and will put the new gpu's in my new system. I'm going to take my time, shop and run the gpu's in this system until I have everything ready to assemble. Looking at the Rampage IV Black Edition...that board looks badass...

HDMI will work too. My 780ti drives my U3014 with an HDMI cable. How are they running so far?

EDIT: derp didn't realize you had 3007's. I miss mine, was a way better display for games than the 3014 is.

They are running great... waiting for gnu #3 tomorrow...:D

Yes I did not do anything past the Rampage III Extreme's auto oc setting. 3.7 to 4.2... no big deal in real life. Now if I could get that to 4.5 or 4.7...well then nice. I'm actually looking now to upgrade the cpu and board and maybe even ram and case. Giving this pc to my bro in law and will put the new gpu's in my new system. I'm going to take my time, shop and run the gpu's in this system until I have everything ready to assemble. Looking at the Rampage IV Black Edition...that board looks badass...

X9x boards should be dropping soon with Sata Express to boot. Should be a nice upgrade path for you :)

I know that these first gen 1366 can do 4.2 easy by just changing the imc voltage if my memory serves me correctly.
It depends on the stepping. I have two first gens still, my C0/C1 does around 3800 before it craps out, my D0 930 will run 4.4GHz.

OP if I was you I'd try tuning your OC by hand. If you can pick up another 400-500 MHz it will probably make a difference for you. From what I read the sweet spot for these CPUs and multi-GPU setups is around 4.2-4.4.

My guess: No scalar. Less lag.

The "Game mode" bypasses the scalar, but the pixel overdrive is absolutely insane. I can watch colors crawl across the screen if I move fast in a game and it drives me nuts. The AG coating is nicer and the power usage is much, much lower but the overall quality of the monitor is as well. The bezel and stand are nowhere near the same quality. The capacitive buttons are also a total failure and are nearly impossible to use. Great desktop use screen, just not good for games.

It's not so much the cpu that'll hold the cards back it's the pcie 2.0. There is MASSIVE gains from 2.0 to 3.0 with 3 2560 monitors. Like doubles the performance because you are using 3 cards. As soon as u put 3 cards and that res together 2.0 shows its weakness massively. Pretty sure if op bought a 3rd 780 ti for the he'll of it he'll have no issue dropping $800 or so on a 4930k and mobo.

I don't get it. How can an older model be better than a newer one.

:confused:

Cost cutting... well the proper corporate term must be maximizing profit margins. The display itself is better on the new model (except for gaming use), which is what most people care about.

I don't get it. How can an older model be better than a newer one.

:confused:

If the newer monitor is more problematic. Dell stumbled a little with the 3011 but major stumbled with the 3014. Hence why people liked the older models better for gaming.

Well guys I have to get a new Mobo... my 2nd SLi slot is toast. So I have 3 cards and only 2 will display. Not the card, I took em all out and tested it and it worked fine. Moved everything around and 2nd slot not working. Soooo... I'm going to give this system to my bro in law and buy a new mobo, cpu, cpu cooler, ram and case and power supply.....lol

Well guys I have to get a new Mobo... my 2nd SLi slot is toast. So I have 3 cards and only 2 will display. Not the card, I took em all out and tested it and it worked fine. Moved everything around and 2nd slot not working. Soooo... I'm going to give this system to my bro in law and buy a new mobo, cpu, cpu cooler, ram and case and power supply.....lol

Sucks, send the third card back and upgrade that board bro...

Back