Help clocking my 1090T

Mr34727

Supreme [H]ardness
So I have my 1090T @4ghz using 250fsb x16. If I am raising the multi only from this point, will any voltages other than cpu voltage cause instability? I am running the other values at the stock 2000/2000 and 1066 or ram. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

well, since you have a 1090T, congrats on a 250 FSB :p

what mobo are you using?

anyhow, you would be better off putting the multi at ~20, and then pushing the FSB....the multi will get you faurther, more stable.....

what voltage is the CPU at now?

and no, if everything else is stable now, pushing multi will not affect the other components to my knowledge(the FSB will I know for sure).

Ok, I guess I was doing it backwords. I have a Gigabyte 790GPT-UD3H board. I had a 1055T that I recently upgraded from, which I had stable at 250fsb.

Are any multi's better than others like on the intel chips? odd/even?

I go get some more specific numbers and such now.

Thanks!

If you were to overclock the northbridge as well, the voltage for that can cause instability if its not high enough. Heat can cause instability with that as well. Like W.Feather said, the multiplier is the better option to change on the black edition processors.

Ok, so running 20x201 (for some reason setting 200 in bios yields 201 in cpuz) im at [email protected], stressing now. So far, max temps are 40c/104f across the board. I am under a copper TRUE with push/pull scythes.

Thanks!

botreaper- my NB voltage is at 1.2v, which I had up to 1.3v while doing the fsb overclock on my 1055T. It was at 1.3v for the 250x16, and is now at 1.2v for the 20x201.

Its all good if your overclock is rock solid....or at least solid enough for you. I hope that 1090T kicks ass and takes names for you. Enjoy that processor.

no, there is no "sweet" spot on AMD Black Edition CPU's.....its more about the voltage you give it....though generally you will lose instability after 20, you should be able to get to 21 or 22, but will need a crap load of voltage......best off going up on your FSB now to get it higher, if you want......

i think he ment you should OC your NB as well, it will give you a better performance bump....

I'd say that 16x250 is better than 20x200 as you can also increase your NB speed

I'd say that 16x250 is better than 20x200 as you can also increase your NB speed

This was my thought as well. After going the 20x then raise fsb route, I still only am perfectly stable at an even 4ghz. I guess ill just keep fiddling with it. Maybe a 19x and a slightly higher fsb would work. For some reason though, I just get the feeling its time for that Crosshair iv purchase....lol

Thanks for the help guys

Since you know that 250 FSB is stable, then why don't you push the multi up to 16.5 or even 17 and see where you are..You are going to need at least 1.5Vcore on anything over 4.1Ghz I'm pretty sure, but stranger things have happened...

Why did you sell the 1055T? Was it a dud o/c'er? Mine is great at 4.1Ghz (14x300) @1.5V..I will warn you though, at these voltage levels aircooling is dicey..I have an Antec 900 with Sycthe high flow fans and my TT120 struggled to keep the temps under 54-58C loaded with F@H...

I am using a Koolance Exos now, and temps don't break 38-40C on a hot day (have windows all the way around on 3 walls).

Also, do you run Folding@Home? We could really use that cpu power you have, and the guys in DC are a great bunch..Plus I don't like being one of the only AMD X6 guys:(

Good luck, and let us know how you made out..

i would say go to about ~18 on the multi, and FSB raise from there if you really want to.....honestly your best bet though is to stay at 20 multi, and raise from there till your happy, then do your NB...

ccityinstaller, does WCG count for 1090T power in DC? :p

Since you know that 250 FSB is stable, then why don't you push the multi up to 16.5 or even 17 and see where you are..You are going to need at least 1.5Vcore on anything over 4.1Ghz I'm pretty sure, but stranger things have happened...

Why did you sell the 1055T? Was it a dud o/c'er? Mine is great at 4.1Ghz (14x300) @1.5V..I will warn you though, at these voltage levels aircooling is dicey..I have an Antec 900 with Sycthe high flow fans and my TT120 struggled to keep the temps under 54-58C loaded with F@H...

I am using a Koolance Exos now, and temps don't break 38-40C on a hot day (have windows all the way around on 3 walls).

Also, do you run Folding@Home? We could really use that cpu power you have, and the guys in DC are a great bunch..Plus I don't like being one of the only AMD X6 guys:(

Good luck, and let us know how you made out..

Yeah I tried that, however still could not get anything stable. I have had the vcore up to 1.65-ish, still without full load stability. It will post and boot all the way up to 4.5 pretty easily, just wont stay stable enought to run linX. I have a solid copper true, and have not seen the chip above 45 full load at 4ghz, or above 55 full (until BSOD 10min in) at 4.5.

I sold the 1055t because my board wont do above 253fsb, no matter the tweaking.

I do alot of video encoding, so the chip is running full load all the time, really need that stability. I fold on and off, depending on what I am doing work wise.

EDIT: To Wfeather, I cant even get 20x205 stable, using 1.4v NB volts, 1.2v cpu->NB volts, and 1.6 vcore. Temps are not the issue, stays well below any kind of thermal/shutoff limit, usually 42-45 full load before bsod

1. 1.65v is way too much, even for water.

2. Don't put too much faith in the core temps being reported. It reads a good deal too low. These chips will read that you're idling at a temp below the ambient, especially when using Cool 'n Quiet or a program like PhenomMsrTweaker to save power.

3. Don't expect to remain stable at anything over 4.2Ghz when on air.

4. Up the CPU-NB vid a bit higher, somewhere around 1.35v if you're trying to max out both the CPU and IMC speeds. The NB vid shouldn't need to be messed with much since the NB on AMD boards does very little when it comes to determining stability. The NB(chipset) is mainly used for controlling PCI-E lanes and serving as a connect between the CPU and SB.

1. 1.65v is way too much, even for water.

2. Don't put too much faith in the core temps being reported. It reads a good deal too low. These chips will read that you're idling at a temp below the ambient, especially when using Cool 'n Quiet or a program like PhenomMsrTweaker to save power.

3. Don't expect to remain stable at anything over 4.2Ghz when on air.

4. Up the CPU-NB vid a bit higher, somewhere around 1.35v if you're trying to max out both the CPU and IMC speeds. The NB vid shouldn't need to be messed with much since the NB on AMD boards does very little when it comes to determining stability. The NB(chipset) is mainly used for controlling PCI-E lanes and serving as a connect between the CPU and SB.

While I'm not an expert on AMD o/c'ing using the newer chips, I was unable to stay stable under F@H load for more then 15 mins until I fed my NB 1.35V...

I have turned out tons and tons of WU's on this rig, it runs 24/7 loaded along with a GPU client, so I know everything (PS included) is being stressed)...I went back and tried to lower my NB voltage, and bam, Client Core Error in F@H..

This may be isolated to my board, I don't know, but I just wanted to toss that out...

Also, OP, as mentioned, 1.65V is wayy to high...There is a better then even chance that your rig is throttling and then becoming unstable due to the heat..The CPU temps simply cannot be that low with air cooling.

While I'm not arguing, I haven't seen annyone else with 65f ambient room temp and a copper true+scythe ultra kaze push pull setups yet ;-)

What do you guys think of this- the board Has a 4+1 phase 140w support, at 4ghz I am at 142w according to hwmonitor. Could it be the bsods are caused by the board? I am considering a new ud7 or ch4 more and more. Moving up to 8 will undoubtly help the oc I would think.

yes, BSOD can be caused by boards.....the 4+1 boards(some of them) have issues running overclocked X6's, though most of em just die

btw, HWMonitor isnt very accurate for CPU wattage....says my stock clocked X6 1090T is ~135w

I would suggest the Crosshair IV over the UD7, though that is just personal preference on my part, both are great boards

Yeah I am so torn. My main thoughts for the ud7 are more sata ports (I currently use all 6 on my board and a 2x sata controller) and the xl form factor (I have a xclio 1000, so 8x expansion slots, fits perfectly) just because it fits the stupidly largeness of my case. Also, I have had great luck with Gigabyte stuff, and iffy experience with Asus (I ran a 9950BE on an Asus 790fx and it was the worst experience ever....just random problems).

The ch4 just looks badass though, and is obviously geared toward oc'ing. Both boards seem to hit 300+ fsb, so im not too worried about the small margin the CH4 is better than the UD7 in the OC department.

I run an Nvidia card right now, so really could care less about layout, pcie slots, etc. (dont game much, just cpu intensive stuff, single nvidia card is all I need)

the Gigabyte would do nicely for your needs then, the CH4 is designed more for high end gaming

I find it hard to believe a motherboard can be "designed for gaming". Designed for overclocking, sure, but that is exactly what I am doing. Possibly you mean the pcie layout, idk

sorry, by that I mean more the layout lies better for gaming, and was thought out more for that, though the socket area IIRC was done so LN2 could easily been used.

Ah gotcha. Yeah idk. I feel like $200+ might not be worth it for the extra 2-500mhz I MIGHT see. I guess we'll just have to wait until I fry something....

Back