Help choosing the best monitor for movies

Best monitor for movies

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AmVO

n00b
Hi
I am thinking in a monitor between 24" and 30".

I would like to watch HD movies on it, in the most immersive way possible.
I was thinking in a VA panel because of the black colour and better contrast, but now I am not sure, and I would love to hear your best advice.

If money wasn't a limit, which monitor would you recommend to enjoy movies?

Last edited:
Plasma TV > all for watching movies if you want the best blacks and contrast available.

Plasma TV > all for watching movies if you want the best blacks and contrast available.
Thank you
Are there nowadays 1080p, VESA style to hang on the wall, PC connectable, and of less than 30-inch plasma TVs?
Do they make your eyes bleed if you use them in short ranges as a monitor?

Last edited:
Yeah but you'd have to get a used one. Meh.
EDIT: no you won't find a -30" plasma, the smaller ones were over 40" (720p) over 50" for 1080p. And all brands have stopped manufacturing those over a year ago. Plasma is dead.

Definitely go with a HD VA, because if you get an IPS you will cry at the awful contrast and blacks, no matter what.
; http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1803228

I think it's hard to argue against the BenQ EW2750ZL which shows results above the rest in the most critical fields for a VA which are contrast, color consistency, and responsiveness.
Review: http://pcmonitors.info/reviews/benq-ew2750zl/
It's a newer AMVA panel apparently, which seems to correct some of the weaknesses of typical AMVA+ of the 2013~2014 breed from AUO.
I'd definitely buy that one.
(but the absence of VESA mounting holes is kind of annoying for me, I really need that, if you do too, get one like the Iiyama or the not-listed BenQ BL2700HT).

If not a monitor I'd go with the Sony KDL-32W700B (KDL-32W705B in Europe).
For one who's going to use a Blu-Ray player or VOD a dedicated TV set is probably the best, and this one is still to this day the best 32" TV available, it's even awesome for console gaming since it's got the lowest lag in a TV ever at around 14ms.
(I own the 42" model and it's badass)
Problem is it's not available in the US except as an import (from Canada, check NCIXUS), and even in Europe it's getting discontinued and rarely in stock.

Last edited:
Check the thread Richard posted above, it's got all the VA monitors.

If money is not an issue though, I think a high-end IPS with an ATW Polarizer is much more interesting than a VA monitor. You may have all the contrast in the world, if your monitor is glowing and bleeding backlight like crazy, well that's pretty useless, especially when watching movies.

I had a 27" Asus VN279, I kept it a week and went with a Eizo CX240. Granted, that was about 800$ to add. But I don't regret it, also especially when working.

This was 2 years ago, but I was in the exact same situation as you. Here were my threads:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1782276&highlight=

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1795375&highlight=

^ Lebowsky I think you've been unlucky with the VN279, those were the still early implementations of the then-new AMVA+ panels and contrast readings were kind of a disappointment for those used to the old 5000:1 yes, however, there were also possibly manufacturing-related issues, which I believe is what happend in your case because I've seen a VN279 in action a few months ago and it definitely wasn't as bad as what you've experienced.
Sure in regards to contrast and blacks it didn't perform as well as the 'old' AMVA, but still considerably better than any IPS i've seen, twice as well i'd say, which matches the common 2500:1~3000:1 those are often measured at, when pretty much any IPS struggle to reach beyond 1000:1

Okay there's the high-end Eizo, but personally I don't think recommending one of the only (two?) IPS panels with ATW polarizer available on the market - very expensive - makes much sense for someone who just wants to watch movies (with that kind of investment he'd go directly for a nicer TV set).
It's also 1200p which isn't ideal for 1080p movies (what OP is aiming at).
Finally regarding backlight leakage issues; even the most expensive Eizo can suffer from BLB, this has nothing to do with the polarizer. Most VA panels on their end, are commonly much less plagued with that issue, whatever the price range.

Yeah but you'd have to get a used one. Meh.
EDIT: no you won't find a -30" plasma, the smaller ones were over 40" (720p) over 50" for 1080p. And all brands have stopped manufacturing those over a year ago. Plasma is dead.

Definitely go with a HD VA, because if you get an IPS you will cry at the awful contrast and blacks, no matter what.
; http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1803228

I think it's hard to argue against the BenQ EW2750ZL which shows results above the rest in the most critical fields for a VA which are contrast, color consistency, and responsiveness.
Review: http://pcmonitors.info/reviews/benq-ew2750zl/
It's a newer AMVA panel apparently, which seems to correct some of the weaknesses of typical AMVA+ of the 2013~2014 breed from AUO.
I'd definitely buy that one.
(but the absence of VESA mounting holes is kind of annoying for me, I really need that, if you do too, get one like the Iiyama or the not-listed BenQ BL2700HT).

If not a monitor I'd go with the Sony KDL-32W700B (KDL-32W705B in Europe).
For one who's going to use a Blu-Ray player or VOD a dedicated TV set is probably the best, and this one is still to this day the best 32" TV available, it's even awesome for console gaming since it's got the lowest lag in a TV ever at around 14ms.
(I own the 42" model and it's badass)
Problem is it's not available in the US except as an import (from Canada, check NCIXUS), and even in Europe it's getting discontinued and rarely in stock.

What a nice answer, thank you. So VA #1 BenQ EW2750ZL. And if you need VESA : #1 iiyama XB2783HSU.
I've read that BenQ GW2760HS is as good as BenQ EW2740L and it has VESA, could it be a better option than the iiyama?

Check the thread Richard posted above, it's got all the VA monitors.

If money is not an issue though, I think a high-end IPS with an ATW Polarizer is much more interesting than a VA monitor. You may have all the contrast in the world, if your monitor is glowing and bleeding backlight like crazy, well that's pretty useless, especially when watching movies.

I had a 27" Asus VN279, I kept it a week and went with a Eizo CX240. Granted, that was about 800$ to add. But I don't regret it, also especially when working.

This was 2 years ago, but I was in the exact same situation as you. Here were my threads:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1782276&highlight=

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1795375&highlight=

Thank you, very interesting threads. You almost made me desire your old Samsung Syncmaster 193P ;D

I agree that if there is bleeding the experience is awful. Although it seems that lately bleeding is solved in most VA monitors. Not sure if this is correct.

What a nice answer, thank you. So VA #1 BenQ EW2750ZL. And if you need VESA : #1 iiyama XB2783HSU.
I've read that BenQ GW2760HS is as good as BenQ EW2740L and it has VESA, could it be a better option than the iiyama?

The GW2760HS isn't the best performer of the bunch, especially in regards to pixel response/overdrive, in this particular field all other 1080p models did better in the reviews.
The Iiyama XB2783HSU did a bit better than the rest in several areas such as colors and pixel response, the BenQ BL2700HT is not reviewed but suspected to be just as good a s that Iiyama.

The EW2750ZL has the best test results of all objectively, but some will complain about its bezel, which may or may not be a bother to you in regards of contrast perception...
Still, it's the only one showing above 4000:1 contrast today and that's not nothing.
All other produce around 2500:1~3000:1 in ideal situations.

You know what I'd do ? I'd buy the EW2750ZL and mod it, adding a matte gray bezel and mounting holes.
But I'm quite the handyman for those things and I know it's not for everyone. :p

Otherwise really if you want a VESA mounting ready then get the XB2783HSU or the BL2700HT (keeping in mind those have 2500:1~3000:1 contrast, so not exactly 'inky' blacks).

PS: the XB2783HSU also exists without the rotating stand; just remove the 'B' after the X and you get the 'X2783HSU'. That'll save you a few bucks if you don't want that fancy stand.
Moreover there's an updated version of that monitor adding DisplayPort. Not very useful for a Full-HD but maybe convenient for some, I don't remember the specif part number.

Last edited:
Great, Richard, thanks.
Good idea to modify it afterwards. To change the bezel maybe not, but the holes or other modifications idea is great.

:)

Thank you, very interesting threads. You almost made me desire your old Samsung Syncmaster 193P ;D

I agree that if there is bleeding the experience is awful. Although it seems that lately bleeding is solved in most VA monitors. Not sure if this is correct.

I actually re-used the old Samsung the other day, it's not bad but it's complete crap compared to the Eizo ;)

I don't know anything about current VA monitors to be honest. My information is 2 years old.

Great, Richard, thanks.
Good idea to modify it afterwards. To change the bezel maybe not, but the holes or other modifications idea is great.

:)

Mmh... well, I think adding some kind of custom thin matte dark grey bezel over to hide the inner black border would actually be a much easier 'mod' (and with potentially great benefits) than crack-opening the back cover and drill/solder stuff strong and stable enough to safely accept VESA mounting.

The Iiyama doesn't have any inner panel border and is already equipped with VESA holes...

I'm saying that just so you realize the modding job could be a tough one, only got for that if you are damn sure you have the skills !

PS: wanted to ask: for watching movies are you going to use a BluRay player or just a computer ?

Oh, you mean to add some adhesive with a new bezel. Yeah, that's not hard, I thought you were speaking about changing the bezel ;D

It is to watch MKV encodes with a computer.

EDIT: Decision made -> BenQ EW2750ZL
Thank you, guys.

Last edited:
I'd go with adhesive anti slip tape, but it's a one-try I think as the adhesive substance is pretty strong.
Or some kind of thin rigid plastic strips only held by a few small two-side adhesive strips...

Good luck with your purchase, just come back later with your impressions and photos please ! ^^

Last edited:
Hahaha, as you wish.

BTW, did you get a PM from me? I can't see it in my sent box :m

I like the ultra-wide monitors for movies.
this is my 25" LG
lg%20monitor%201.jpg

and my 34" LG
lg-34um95.jpg

this looks amazing, but I wonder what a standard dvd looks like on such a wide monitor...

this looks amazing, but I wonder what a standard dvd looks like on such a wide monitor...

16:9 has black bars on the side,
16x9%20on%20LG.jpg

4:3 has large black bars, you can have 2x 4:3 on the screen
4x3%20on%20LG.jpg

4x3%20twice%20on%20LG.jpg

Yes, please update us with pics and your impressions. I'm waiting for the ew2750zl to release in the US so im looking foward to what you think of it. Did you order it already?

Back