Help choosing an 8800GTS (G92)

It depends, are you playing in staying with this card long?
If your a person who upgrades alot go with the EVGA, and the step up.
If you plan on selling it, XFX has a double lifetime warranty.

Like i said, it really depends on what you wanna do with the card outside of gaming.

I'll probably stay with the card long enough that by the time I want to sell it, it won't be worth it.

if that is the case, then I would save some money with the ECS (depending on their warranty). I myself wouldn't consider ECS to be exactly generic.

Well then i would go with evga, and save some money for 3 months down the road, and upgrade and use that to ride into the sunset of a long time of video gaming.

I think all those cards are still made by a single vendor right - isn't that still Nvidia's manufacturing model? If that's true than there really shouldn't be any physical difference between the cards besides a sticker on the outside.

For whatever it's worth, I'd get the EVGA because of the excellent customer support. my 7900GT started exhibiting problems a few days ago (the 512MB version, which is not affected by the normal 7900GT problems) and I boughtit almost 2 years ago. I sent it in for a warranty replacement, and odds are I'm going to receive a 8800GTS as a replacement. the customer service is impeccable and they're easy to contact and resolve issues with.

My personal preferences would be in this order:

1. eVGA
2. XFX
3. BFG

good warranties by all 3, eVGA and BFG have step up/tradeup programs, XFX double lifetime warranty.

i just got the msi oc one. msi has had great warranty for me ( but never gave me a better product in an rma like evga does). and the users on newegg are reporting great overclock success with the msi one so it must be binned higher or default to higher volts.

hmm, I always stick with Logitech because of their RMA policies. Perhaps I'll go with EVGA then.

Well thing is, XFX has double liftetime warranty, so if you want to keep it for a while, that would be the best way to go.

If you were to upgrade every so often or are just getting a placeholder card, and want to get the next best (within 90 days) go for eVGA.

um.. maybe i'm getting this wrong but I think that the XFX double lifetime warranty wouldn't be any benefit to me. It means that if I sell it, the buyer would also get the lifetime warranty.

EVGA still has lifetime warranty but also a better RMA policy.

Yes EVGA has an amazing RMA policy, you pay alittle when you register it. i think its 10 bucks, and that sets you up for EAR. which means you call in the RMA and they ship your card out first, then when you get it, you ship yours to them.

Its really sweet.

I dont recall exactly, but with either EVGA or XFX you can apply an aftermarket cooling solution and overclock without voiding the warranty. BFG prohibits aftermarket modifications,as they will void the warranty.

EVGA and BFG have step-up programs that are very good.
XFX, I've dealth with and they are as painless as anyone as far as RMAs go.
ECS is pot-luck.
But.....essentially all nvidia cars are made by Foxconn or someone similar, the badges are all that is different, that and customer service.

The EVGA is cheaper after rebate so just go with that. I haven't heard much about ECS RAM or warranty service but is they offer 3years w/rma service then I'd go with that and save $30.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm going for the EVGA. They have great customer service, and an amazing RMA program. Also SVC has the Accelero S1, for $23+ship. Much less than Newegg.

I've already used some ECS cards and never had problem with them. Never needed RMA anything to ECS too, so I don't know how is ECS RMA.
I'd save some cash and get the ECS card.

I still think he should go with evga, just because he might get some cash down the line and want more power. it happened to me.

how does the step up program work? is it based on retail price?

edit: ok i just looked it up and it seems to only cover 3 months. I KNOW that i won't step up in that time. (I'm a casual/infrequent gamer and I RARELY play FPS). The main reason I'm getting this card is so that:

1. x264 hardware decoding (90% of its usage will be for this)
2. I'll still be able to play RTS or RPG about 2 years down the line.

I think I'll pick up the ECS and the accelero and take my chances. If it fails after 2 years, I could care less. If it fails before 2 years (I'd give it a <5% chance), yes it will suck, but I'll take my chances at a $40 price difference.

ok, well after you buy your card, you register it with evga, and send them a copy of your invoice.
Just screen shot it or fax it, doesn't matter
within 90 days you can choose to upgrade.
If you look at their prices, they are usually alittle higher than most etailers, but thats because they can't go below MSRP.
You pay the difference between what you paid, and how much the new card cost.
e.g. you go on new egg and drop 230 on the card, and say down the line the new 9900GTX is 400
you would pay 170 + shipping (usually 6 dollars)
and voila, your in still in the best of the best for graphics.

ah sorry. well you never know what might happen in 3 months.
I'm just saying its a very good option to have. you never know they might put out a new middle card
I found it very useful

Back