Help choosing a new router..

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
Not sure if I should even upgrade. Currently have an Asus 68U. I own a two story home and the router is upstairs. I do large file copies between wireless and wired PC's. The differences in USB adapters has been unreal. My netgear 6210 has been the best wifi adapter I have used. I just ordered the A7000 AC1900 adapter. Is there any benefit to stepping to a newer model router? Looking for best transfer speeds possible between my PC and one that is wired to the gigabit switch.

AC is it for a while. You are limited by your adapters the environment. Tune what you have.

so for speed, 5GHz obviously and AC. Make sure your reception is the best possible.

so for speed, 5GHz obviously and AC. Make sure your reception is the best possible.

Yup, 5ghz and AC.. the netgear 6210 wasn't bad.. surprised my onboard which should have been better was not. Transfer speed was half as fast. Will see how this 7000 does and I will check to see what channels I am on as well. I haven't touched this network in a couple years....lazy!

Just order a new access point and turn off the one in your router. You will get a better access point that way.

Placement is important as well as antenna orientation. Dipoles have weaker tx/rx from where the end is pointing, so try to keep it parallel to the area you want to cover.

AC Wave 2 has beam forming, I doubt your devices have wave 2 though. We're deploying wave 2 devices at work just because that's what is available now, don't expect to benefit from it for a while when laptops finally start coming with them.

Back