Help choosing a good wifi adapter to work with Nighthawk R7000

The plus of that dongle is it's small. The minus of that dongle is it's small - so the antenna is also small. You can't have it both ways :-D

No surprise you are getting crappy reception.

I have the Nighthawk as well and my 2x2 and 3x3 laptops all work great. My desktop with the Wifi (first one in my sig) has a big chunky antenna and when I use it, the connectivity is great as is connection speed and throughput.

I guarantee you will get better all around performance if you just go to a full size adaptor with MIMO capable antennas.

That should work great - 3 antenna setup is going to blow away your old usb thumb plug. If you are getting good speed when you are wired to the router (so you know for sure your problem is the wifi), you will definitely get a big boost with the new wifi adaptor.

If you live in a crowded area (condo / apartment, townhouse) with lots of other signals, you may want to look into the router settings as well, see that they don't overlap with your neighbors. Sometimes the default / auto mode picks a crappy channel that conflicts.

Good luck man and let us know how it turns out.

BTW: 455Olds, you are one early waking up mo-fo. 5.51am EST and already on [H]? :-D

That should work great - 3 antenna setup is going to blow away your old usb thumb plug. If you are getting good speed when you are wired to the router (so you know for sure your problem is the wifi), you will definitely get a big boost with the new wifi adaptor.

If you live in a crowded area (condo / apartment, townhouse) with lots of other signals, you may want to look into the router settings as well, see that they don't overlap with your neighbors. Sometimes the default / auto mode picks a crappy channel that conflicts.

Good luck man and let us know how it turns out.

BTW: 455Olds, you are one early waking up mo-fo. 5.51am EST and already on [H]? :-D
I ordered it. I start work at 6 am,was waiting for work to start. I'll report back when it comes in.

Back