Help choosing a Gaming Laptop.

Diablo2K

Supreme [H]ardness
Getting a new Gaming Laptop really soon. I would really like something with at least:
1. 16gb Dual Channel Memory
2. 512gb NVME SSD
3. RTX Video card
4. 17" 144hz+ IPS screen
5. Less than $1400 after tax/shipping
6. Full size Keyboard w/ Numpad
Right now my top selection is a MSI GP75 leopard It has everything I am looking for. I also like that it is in stock at a local store. I am also considering a Lenovo Legion 5 (Currently out of stock ) or a Sager from XoticPC (about $1350 configured the way I want it). I am also thinking about a Refurbished/open box ASUS ROG Strix Scar II Edition It is only $1092, buying a refurb scares me a little but sense it's from a local Micro Center I can return it if I find anything wrong in the first 2 weeks.
They all have Pros and Cons.

All things equal and considering the price, I'd go for that Scar II. Its build quality and slickness is notably nicer than the GP75 and Sager NP7858 (both of which I've also used) -- new, this laptop would be a good deal more expensive. GPU and CPU on that Scar II will have similar performance to those two newer models with the 3060 (about 5% faster than the 2070) and i7-10750H (the i7-10750H is essentially the same chip as the older i7-8750H, only ~5-10% faster). You could get a nice set of headphones (and possibly an external DAC), extra games, speakers for the ~$200 you'd save

That said, I'd check which warranty is better since that Scar 2 refurb only has 90 days with a 15-day return policy. I wouldn't worry too much about buying a refurb from microcenter: they test them and you can easily return no questions if there's any issue e.g. coil whine (a risk on all of these laptops, TBH).

The only one of those models and configs I'd actively avoid would be the Legion 5: it's pretty chunky (these models are all pretty chunky, to be fair, the Scar 2 being the thinnest/lightest) and only has an RTX 2060.

Note: I'm going to assume the GP75 and NP7858 have the full-power 3060 since they are full-size desktop replacements. Once again, these resellers aren't doing what they're supposed to do by listing power-version of the GPU.

Last edited:
All things equal and considering the price, I'd go for that Scar II. Its build quality and slickness is notably nicer than the GP75 and Sager NP7858 (both of which I've also used) -- new, this laptop would be a good deal more expensive. GPU and CPU on that Scar II will have similar performance to those two newer models with the 3060 (about 5% faster than the 2070) and i7-10750H (the i7-10750H is essentially the same chip as the older i7-8750H, only ~5-10% faster). You could get a nice set of headphones (and possibly an external DAC), extra games, speakers for the ~$200 you'd save

That said, I'd check which warranty is better since that Scar 2 refurb only has 90 days with a 15-day return policy. I wouldn't worry too much about buying a refurb from microcenter: they test them and you can easily return no questions if there's any issue e.g. coil whine (a risk on all of these laptops, TBH).

The only one of those models and configs I'd actively avoid would be the Legion 5: it's pretty chunky (these models are all pretty chunky, to be fair, the Scar 2 being the thinnest/lightest) and only has an RTX 2060.

Note: I'm going to assume the GP75 and NP7858 have the full-power 3060 since they are full-size desktop replacements. Once again, these resellers aren't doing what they're supposed to do by listing power-version of the GPU.
Thanks for the quick reply.

You do know I am talking about the Scar II being an open box as well as a Refurb. You still think it's worth the risk?

Being a keyboard geek, if I were in your shoes, I'd try to get some handson time to see which keyboard I liked the most. Maybe by both and return the one I ended up liking the least over the course of a few days.

Being a keyboard geek, if I were in your shoes, I'd try to get some handson time to see which keyboard I liked the most. Maybe by both and return the one I ended up liking the least over the course of a few days.
I ain't picky about my keyboards, Yes I do have a more expensive keyboard on my Desktop PC (Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown switches and Red O rings (don't even know what the O rings do but that's what everyone was doing when I bought the Keyboard)), but I am adaptable and I don't do any real heavy typing. I still have to look at the keyboard when I type but I do use more then one finger. It ain't pretty but I get the job done.

Thanks for the quick reply.

You do know I am talking about the Scar II being an open box as well as a Refurb. You still think it's worth the risk?
Yes. It's virtually no lose. If there's an issue, just return it. It's categorically the nicer laptop (from someone who's actually used all of the ones you're looking at).

The only thing I'd say to look out for is coil whine. It's become a plague of high-end gaming laptops. Definitely something you can work around, bit to be considered.

Yes. It's virtually no lose. If there's an issue, just return it. It's categorically the nicer laptop (from someone who's actually used all of the ones you're looking at).

The only thing I'd say to look out for is coil whine. It's become a plague of high-end gaming laptops. Definitely something you can work around, bit to be considered.
Thanks. Just noticed you have a Scar II in your Sig with the same CPU/GPU combo. Your not bias are you, lol.

Thanks. Just noticed you have a Scar II in your Sig with the same CPU/GPU combo. Your not bias are you, lol.
I have the 15" version, but have had the GP75 and a similar Sager, albeit in different configurations. The GP75 is a chunky block, I was happy to be rid of it TBH. In the end, they're all big DTRs, but the Scar has a bit more polish and is thinner.

Well I went Rogue, I bought a HP Omen 17. I appreciate the feedback however. I really was scared of getting a open box refurb and chickened out!

[edit] I looked up how to enable G-Sync and theres no option for it in the Nvidia Control panel. I bought This Laptop and it says in description this Laptop has G-Sync? Do I not have it?
[2nd Edit] Was playing the Outriders Demo and game crashed to desktop, Purple dots all over screen and rebooting didn't help, purple dots are even in the startup screens. Will be returning it tomorrow. :( Not happy, I was really liking this laptop.

Last edited:
I just picked up this bad boy ROG Strix G17
I know its last years model and not a 30 series, but so far I am happy with it. I bought this and an immediate upgrade kit for 32 gigs of G-skill ripjaws and I am loving it so far. Only issue I have had is a little lack of ports but a quick visit to amazon solved that real quick.

I just picked up this bad boy ROG Strix G17
I know its last years model and not a 30 series, but so far I am happy with it. I bought this and an immediate upgrade kit for 32 gigs of G-skill ripjaws and I am loving it so far. Only issue I have had is a little lack of ports but a quick visit to amazon solved that real quick.
I got the Lenovo Legion 5 from Micro Center, happy with it so far. I liked the HP Omen 17 more however but they didn't have another one in stock.
Check out XoticPC.com
I had a laptop configured on there that I liked but I was to impatient and wanted to buy local.

Thanks everyone for your opinions.

MSI laptops are very high quality products. I bought the msi stealth with a 1060 almost 4 years ago for $1500 and it holds up even now. It has slowed down a bit but nothing major and the graphics still keep up with a lot of games. Going to upgrade to the msi stealth with an RTX 3070, 32gb of ram, and 4tb of SSD because of how well my current laptop has held up. You can probably get an older model for well under $1400 if you don't mind getting one used, but there might be some good new ones under $1400 on the market.

Back