Help! Cant switch user nor will screensaver activate

DarkOps

n00b
My parents' computer is having some issues. It runs XP Home. There are 6 users, but fast user switching doesnt work. You go to "switch user" and nothing happens. Same with pressing Win-L. This means only 1 user can be logged in at a time which is annoying. I checked the Services and Fast User Switching is enabled and automatic (doesnt work on manual setting either).

A second problem, possibly related, is when all users are logged out, the screensaver wont turn on. I am worried that this will cause login screen burn-in. Each user has an individual screensaver idle time of 5-10 minutes. Is there a master setting I just cant find?

Thanks for your help.

I had this same problem.. just one day even though fast user swithing was enabled no matter what I did it wouldnt switch.. I hate to say it but the only way I ever got it back was by reloading... but you may just want to try and do a repair and cross your fingers.

you can download tweakui form microsoft (just go to microsoft.com and do a search for power toys)...this will solve your welcome screen saver problem...one of the things it lets you do is set the screen saver settings for the welcome screen to that of the user you using when you run tweakui...might require a restart for that to take effect though, not sure about the no fast switching though, that sucks man

I was under the impression that screen burn-in was a problem with older monitors only... the newer ones arent succeptible...

I was told the newer monitors still have problems with burn-in just not as quickly as older ones...where older ones would burn in with in a few hours, the newer ones can go days...still a good idea to have a screen saver running if you aren't using it, no harm done....and tweakui should let you get that screen saver going on the welcome screen..

Thanks a lot for the welcome screen help. No way am I going to try to sort and backup their crap to reformat though, so I guess they just wont be able to switch users.

IMHO formatting is a thing of the 98 past. Just about every other post someone mentions that they are going to reformat. I understand since this is standard operating procedure to fix Win ME and 98. Or maybe they just doint want to take the time to learn to troubleshoot XP properly. I Fix countless XPPro/Home machines and i havent had to "reformat" yet, except when they UPGRADED win 98 to xp. It amuses me that people are locked in this way of thinking. Time to get with the times, XP/Win2k can be repaired. I guess people are wising up since I dont hear this so often: " I cant install XP because I dont have win98 boot disk to format my drive." :eek:

Back