Help build ultimate 3D system

One of my brothers friends has a guy with lots of resources who wants the fastest workstation possible for 3D stuff this is what he has in mind:

AMD 64 fx 51
Ati Fire GL X2
sata RAID 0/1 (dual 80gb?)
ASUS motherboard
2gb ram

Also,

An alternate price for AMD 64 3400+ cpu

any suggestions/places to get the stuff would help a lot. Would also like to know what the most stable/fast amd64 board is right now (no OCing), I'll throw pics of everything up once i start building it (was also wondering if the newer ATI cards can be soft modded to the fire GL/workstation cards like the old ones could - this would save a lot of money)

I don't think the price difference really warrent s the use of athlon fx's IMO.

maybe you could build a dually opteron 240's (possibly 242's)? Of course that's not the fastest possible but I have a feeling cash is important.

I think though the 3400+ would gain allot from lower latencies and you'd save some money on non ecc ram.

If the applications he'll be using are capable of using dual processors than a dually Opteron machine would be pretty killer. The FX-51 will edge out the 3400+ in most things, but the price is about $350 more than a 3400+. Opteron/FX-51 boards from Asus cost about 190-210 depending on if you want a nVidia or Via chipset, and the 3400+ costs about 400, so your looking at about $600 for a nice 3400+ cpu/mobo combo, and then whatever else you need. What kind of "resources" are available and how soon does it need to be finished. New boards with PCI Express and newer chipsets should be coming out in a few months along with faster processors and maybe some price drops.

3D Workstation? I wouldnt look to hard at the 3400+. He'll probably really want that extra memory bandwidth the Athlon FX had.

But if hes got the money, a dual opteron would suit him better.

I'm not completely sure of the resources, but since the guys getting an $800 video card I wouldn't worry too much. What I really need to know is what the fastest board is for the A64 that doesn't compromise stability. The pros and cons of the raid and other features, this guy just really wants the best as long as it is significant.

heres what I'm expecting

If I go fx-51
$720 for processor
$200 motherboard
$750 video card
2 gbyte ddr400 $250ish
HD need quiet and quick/sata suggestions pls
and a quiet nice case probably lian-li or cooler master

If i go athlon64 3400+
$400 for processor
$150 for mobo
$750 for vid card
2 gb ddr400 $250ish
and same quiet HD's

since hes getting the fire GL X2 he really needs the top performance for the 3D-rendering stuff and I really have no feeling for how significant Fx-51 dual channel capabilities advantage is over the 3400+

thx for help so far

250 for 2 gigs of ecc ram... wow
i think you mean more like 500 :rolleyes:
you should have him get 4 raptors and do raid 0 + 1 :D

Originally posted by Jared701
250 for 2 gigs of ecc ram... wow
i think you mean more like 500 :rolleyes:
you should have him get 4 raptors and do raid 0 + 1 :D

four 74gig raptors in 0+1 and a 250gig storage drive.. :D

and he really should get dual opterons..

Originally posted by blue_heart71
what 3D programs he will be using?

yeah, thats a damn good question.

I would probably go dual Opterons. Depending on what kind of software he uses, i.e. Adobe, Alias, and others, Intel would be a better option since said companies do not have much interest in 64bit computing. Call me a Fanboy, but I'm only trying to help. If he uses 3DsMax, then I'm not sure what to recommend as I have no experience with that platform.

he is going to be using 3ds max i guess whatever that is forgot that you would have to use ecc ram with the fx chip, pls keep info coming I'm going to send an email out tonight with the suggestions, damn I can't believe how much vid cards can cost

for quiet get some samsung spin points and set them up in raid 1 or 0+1 (raid 0 is too risky for the guy's work IMO)

I still think dually opterons would be best if he can afford it.

Back