HELP! brand new Asus U6 is running absurdly slow

Gopher

Weaksauce
I just bought an Asus U6 laptop (floor model) 2 days ago, and it is running absurdly slow. Its basically this laptop: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220258 running Vista Business Edition (32bit), and seems to have minimal bloat ware, but the performance is just unacceptable.

It takes about 5 minutes to boot, is slow like molases in the OS, each 1meg update from windows update site takes about 5 minutes to prepare and then actually install. What gives?!?!

I don't know vista too well, but I'd played around with 64bit ultimate on a s939 3700+ w/ 2gigs ram and 256 meg video card and it was MUCH more responsive.

This thing is a 2ghz c2d with 2 gigs ram and a 128meg video card... it should atleast be comparable.

No conflicts detected--open to all suggestions.

Floor model...

Did you try to the recovery CDs, or whatever it came with, to reinstall the OS? Do you know how many people inentionally try to break floor model computers?

I'm toying with doing that this evening. I had to leave it at the store (bestbuy) over night for the geek squad to run the recovery disk (yeah right) but I kind of doubt they did. When I was looking at various files on the computer though, I noticed things modified back in October, so I suspect they didn't do a damn thing.

I guess thats the logical thing to do next--I'll wipe that bitch tonight.

Good suggestion, guys. I restored the bios settings to default settings and ran the recovery...

It took literally 3 hours to complete the system recovery, but in the end, we're stable and much, much faster. It was a nuisance, but now I'm very happy with the price I paid for this open box lappy.

UPDATE:

Well... I discovered something... POWER seems to be the issue. Even with performance settings on max, this battery doesn't give the computer the juice it needs and it runs noticeably slower when not plugged into the wall.

Shockingly, the battery only lasts about an hour and twenty minutes from full charge. I guess thats the big draw back with ultra portables.

its probably an old and used battery, a new one would probably run much better.

UPDATE:

Well... I discovered something... POWER seems to be the issue. Even with performance settings on max, this battery doesn't give the computer the juice it needs and it runs noticeably slower when not plugged into the wall.

Shockingly, the battery only lasts about an hour and twenty minutes from full charge. I guess thats the big draw back with ultra portables.

Ultra portables generally have value processors and little RAM in it and can usually run about 3 hours to a charge. Yours is a fully featured laptop with a powerhorse processor and 2gb of ram with discrete graphics, so it's going to be sucking up a lot of juice from the tiny battery.

Doesn't Intel processor have the ability to underclock when on battery power? Maybe that's where your glitch is, it's not discerning whether you're running on battery or plugged into the wall.

133, the battery is brand new and was never used with the display. It was plugged into an outlet and the battery remained in the box in a locked cabinet.

Azhar,

Thats what I'm finding on the first part.
Very interesting re: the under clocking. I'll look into it.

Back