Help backing up laptop hard drive from dead laptop

MikeS

n00b
Long story short, my neighbor dropped some soda on his laptop and now it won't work. He wants me to copy the files to the new computer. Is there a way to do this without putting the hard drive in the new laptop?I don't have another laptop to put the hard drive into temporarily. Well, actually I do but it's an ancient 486 and I'm not sure if it would work. Is there a way to attach the hard drive to my desktop or something?

Thanks
Mike

I'm mostlikely horribly wrong but could you put it into a hdd enclosure and then just attach it via usb or firewire and drag and drop everything onto the new computer?

not sure if laptop hdd fit in those enclosures or not?

you can get a little enclosure for very cheap that turns a lappy drive into a usb volume. I'll try to find a link.

You hook it into a LAN, create a user called knoppix on a windows desktop computer, try booting the laptop with a Knoppix CD, smbmount a shared drive on the windows computer, and then copy the files over the network. This would work if its only the laptop's OS that's hosed. If it has problems booting because of damaged hardware, forget it.

yes, a laptop hard drive connector is what we use at work to backup dead laptops. they run in the line from the back of your laptop hdd to your ide cable. i have one i use in a removeable hard drive bay. :)

Back