Help! Asus Z97I-Plus problem hard to diagnose

Buttoneer

Limp Gawd
Hi all, I have an issue with my Asus motherboard and looking for help in understanding what I need to do next.

This is the motherboard I have;
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/Dvzv6h/asus-motherboard-z97iplus

It is powered by this PSU;
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/vQjG3C/silverstone-power-supply-sstsx600g

I have a Corsair K95 keyboard and Logitech G5 mouse plugged into it. I mention these because they are where the issue manifests itself. The computer has been working really well until recently and now I can't get past the Windows login screen. Here's a full description of what happens;

PC switched on from power (I never hibernate or sleep)
Boots past BIOS with no POST messages
keyboard lights up in default colours (red all over but with WASD in white) and mouse lights up with it's small amber tracking speed light.
Just before the windows login screen appears, the keyboard switches to my preferred RGB colour lighting.
Two or three seconds later the keyboard and mouse both power down.
Even if I get to the keyboard and mouse to try and use them while they are still illuminated, they don't work, not accepting any input.
The screen is at full 2560x1440 for the startup screen so GPU seems to be fully powered.

In terms of troubleshooting this issue please bear in mind;
I have removed all peripherals other than keyboard, mouse and monitor with no effect.
I have tried the keyboard & mouse in all USB ports including front of the case.
I have plugged in a Corsair SF600 PSU to the 2x4 and 24 pin power on the mobo to no effect.
BIOS shows nothing odd but I don't know what I could to use for diagnosis anyway.
I have connected the monitor to my motherboard HDMI direct rather than via the GPU, to no effect.

Taking the motherboard out is a complete nightmare. If I'm going to do it then I need to know that I'm doing it for the right reason. It's a SFF build which has been cable-managed to death.

What can I try next? If it's clear to anyone that I have an issue with the motherboard, does anyone know where I can source a replacement compatible with my i7 4790K?

You could try a bios reset, remove the cmos battery for 10 minutes (make sure you remember or note down all settings b4 doing that)

also you could try a different keyboard and/or mouse, but not sure that will do much.

Hi all, I have an issue with my Asus motherboard and looking for help in understanding what I need to do next.

This is the motherboard I have;
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/Dvzv6h/asus-motherboard-z97iplus

It is powered by this PSU;
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/vQjG3C/silverstone-power-supply-sstsx600g

I have a Corsair K95 keyboard and Logitech G5 mouse plugged into it. I mention these because they are where the issue manifests itself. The computer has been working really well until recently and now I can't get past the Windows login screen. Here's a full description of what happens;

PC switched on from power (I never hibernate or sleep)
Boots past BIOS with no POST messages
keyboard lights up in default colours (red all over but with WASD in white) and mouse lights up with it's small amber tracking speed light.
Just before the windows login screen appears, the keyboard switches to my preferred RGB colour lighting.
Even if I get to the keyboard and mouse to try and use them while they are still illuminated, they don't work, not accepting any input.
The screen is at full 2560x1440 for the startup screen so GPU seems to be fully powered.

In terms of troubleshooting this issue please bear in mind;
I have removed all peripherals other than keyboard, mouse and monitor with no effect.
I have tried the keyboard & mouse in all USB ports including front of the case.
I have plugged in a Corsair SF600 PSU to the 2x4 and 24 pin power on the mobo to no effect.
BIOS shows nothing odd but I don't know what I could to use for diagnosis anyway.
I have connected the monitor to my motherboard HDMI direct rather than via the GPU, to no effect.

Taking the motherboard out is a complete nightmare. If I'm going to do it then I need to know that I'm doing it for the right reason. It's a SFF build which has been cable-managed to death.

What can I try next? If it's clear to anyone that I have an issue with the motherboard, does anyone know where I can source a replacement compatible with my i7 4790K?
So Windows starts up and gets to the login screen, but right before that all USB devices stop accepting input?

It sounds like the devices are still getting power over USB, because they remain illuminated.

If you enter your UEFI bios during bootup, do the USB devices remain fully operational?

When did these issues begin to occur? After a Windows update or a driver update? Power outage?

So Windows starts up and gets to the login screen, but right before that all USB devices stop accepting input? Correct.

It sounds like the devices are still getting power over USB, because they remain illuminated.

If you enter your UEFI bios during bootup, do the USB devices remain fully operational? If I can get there (troublesome monitor with very persistent low power mode) then I have been able to use them.

When did these issues begin to occur? After a Windows update or a driver update? Power outage? I honestly don't recall. Updates are automatic for Windows and it seems that there are regular driver updates so it is entirely possible

You're making me feel very hopeful here!

I have about the same problem.. From one day to the next, no respond on my house or kb. It doesn't show screen either. I have a 1440p as well (z97i-plus and 4790k)

I have a z97/4790k system here that had all sorts of issue due to a dying battery. test and or replace it. make sure the mouse and keyboard are in the top usb ports. try a ps/2 mouse/keyboard if have one kicking around.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Battery I can try later - I removed and reset CMOS but didn't think to replace it.
USB ports I have used a spare keyboard (single port Logitech instead of the double port Corsair RGB I have as default) In all of them and that made no difference. If it did make a difference that would be equally bothersome to me anyway because it shouldn't happen. I don't have access to a PS/2 version unfortunately.

Sounds like the driver/software of the keyboard is loaded and then something unusual happens linked to USB powering.

What I would try is attach the Logitec keyboard only and check if you can navigate into the BIOS/UEFI with it.
If the keyboard works fine there, I would then boot into safe mode (hit F8 at startup) for a minimal drivers load and see if you can log in into Windows.

If you succeed with safe mode, maybe there is an issue with the USB powering on the Z97I-Plus.
You should then give a try with a powered USB hub...

^ what he said or try a bootable USB next. if you have a way to download one. Seems like chipset/USB diver probs.

I should have some time to play around later this week so will give this a try, thank you. That will have been an expensive error then - a whole new PC built to replace something with a driver glitch. A small part of me hopes it's the motherboard still, because of that, but would rather have a second PC :)

I should have some time to play around later this week so will give this a try, thank you. That will have been an expensive error then - a whole new PC built to replace something with a driver glitch. A small part of me hopes it's the motherboard still, because of that, but would rather have a second PC :)
Buttoneer, sorry for not responding to this thread again sooner.

I agree with the folks above, it does sound like a software issue (drivers) more than any hardware. I imagine a fresh Windows install would probably fix these issues, but booting into safemode with or without network drivers (as suggested above by another user) is the best first step you can take right now.

I agree with the folks above, it does sound like a software issue (drivers) more than any hardware. I imagine a fresh Windows install would probably fix these issues, but booting into safemode with or without network drivers (as suggested above by another user) is the best first step you can take right now.
Not at all, I'm grateful that you've taken the time to respond at all.

So Windows starts up and gets to the login screen, but right before that all USB devices stop accepting input?

If you enter your UEFI bios during bootup, do the USB devices remain fully operational?

When did these issues begin to occur? After a Windows update or a driver update? Power outage?

Well this has been a massively expensive lesson to learn. I'm typing this using the old computer, which has booted successfully into Windows with all peripherals(so far) fully operating.

Downside - I've spent massive amounts of money and time.
Upside - I have two VR capable PC's, and can devote a bit of time to finishing the new one without interference.

Thank you all so much for your help. I would have probably preferred it to have been earlier but that's not your fault of course, and happily I didn't throw anything away and I do have a use for it.

Probably. I went for a full nuclear reinstall - kept files only - and slowly reintroducing everything. Video files are good and windows update is still working through stuff. I'll try the Corsair iCue next and see what happens.

edit:it's all good!

Last edited:
Back