[HELP] ASUS Rampage II GENE locked

KeymaN

Gawd
Hey guys, I am having this problem that I don't know what to do.
the ASUS R2G that I have assembled ( FINALLY! after having it sitting over 9months! lol! well... it been a busy 2009 for me =( ) is having an issue.
Everything is properly connected and double checked before I power this baby up; However, the system won't boot nor post. and the LCD poster is saying locked on it.
So i figure i will look it up online to see if someone else have the similiar problem, and yes people do have the similiar issue, but not the exact same one.
and I have tried a few ways to try booting it up, but no success.
I hope someone can help me out! here are some ways that I have tried and that doesnt work.
-reconnect everything
-using 1 ram on each dimm slot
-remove cmos battery
-different combination of the above
STILL DOESNT WORK!!! HELP!!!
should i RMA my motherboard?

thanks

KeymaN

I am using the exact same motherboard and also had that "locked" issue on the LCD and it would not POST. It was because one of the ram slots on the mobo is bad and when I moved the ram to another slot, it worked just fine. On a forum thread, I had read another person had that issue and a BIOS update fixed the problem. I am still using the stock BIOS from Spring when the mobo came out. Never got around to updating the BIOS.

I hope the update will fix it as my previous Asus P6T motherboard bit the dust after only a couple months of use. I had such a strong opinion of Asus and their products but I dunno anymore. :mad:

Hey guys, I am having this problem that I don't know what to do.
the ASUS R2G that I have assembled ( FINALLY! after having it sitting over 9months! lol! well... it been a busy 2009 for me =( ) is having an issue.
Everything is properly connected and double checked before I power this baby up; However, the system won't boot nor post. and the LCD poster is saying locked on it.
So i figure i will look it up online to see if someone else have the similiar problem, and yes people do have the similiar issue, but not the exact same one.
and I have tried a few ways to try booting it up, but no success.
I hope someone can help me out! here are some ways that I have tried and that doesnt work.
-reconnect everything
-using 1 ram on each dimm slot
-remove cmos battery
-different combination of the above
STILL DOESNT WORK!!! HELP!!!
should i RMA my motherboard?

thanks

KeymaN

You tried different RAM? The 1 stick at a time trick, did you try it with different sticks? Wasn't there an issue with D0 920 and early BIOSes?

Yep I have tried with different RAM sticks in different DIMM slots, still a no go.
and I got my 920 in somewhere in march-april, so I believe i have the C0 stepping one.

Any more ideas? that would be very helpful!

Thanks

KeymaN

Make absolutely sure that your graphics card is inserted all the way. It can be a tight fit.

That bit me the first time I fired up my R2G.

Alright I am going to try to do that once I am off work
just making sure one thing, without having the graphic cards inserted all the way, did you lcd poster said locked on it?

A thread rob, but wouldnt the card needed to be seated correctly even to display a picture on the lcd? that mobo doesnt have onboard graphics right?

The Rampage II Gene comes with a small external LCD which connects to the motherboard and gives POST information and fan speeds, system time, or temperatures (depending on what you configure it to display).

So as he starts up the computer, it stated "LOCKED" on the LCD and the computer will not POST. I have this exact same motherboard and had that same issue when I had any stick of ram in a certain slot (forgot which one). When I removed it, the computer starts up with no problem. I dunno if its a bad ram slot because I heard another person had this issue and a BIOS update fixed it. I still haven't updated the BIOS yet, too lazy. :)

This LCD doesn't need a GPU to work, of course to display anything on a computer monitor, you would need a GPU as this motherboard has no integrated graphics.

EDIT: Here is a thread I found on this exact issue with the same motherboard. Maybe following the OP's directions will help you?

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...&model=Rampage+II+Gene&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Back