HELP! AMD64 4400+ Still Stuttering

vilhiem

Weaksauce
Not sure what the problem is, ... but ever since I built my new 64-bit rig in February (w/Vista Ultimate) it has never been "snappy." As an example, I just put a DVD movie I recently recorded and went to play it in WMP and the playback was stuttering.
Also get graphical problems playing Battlefield 2 in which the frame rate drops on occasion to an unplayable state.

Is it that I am only using 2gb of memory (should I increase it to 4gb)?

Thanks!!!

Here are the rest of my specs:

Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+
Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
Gaming graphics 1407 MB Total available graphics memory
Primary hard disk 8GB Free (69GB Total)
Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer System manufacturer
Model System Product Name
Total amount of system memory 2.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 2

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 216 GB
Disk partition (C:) 8 GB Free (69 GB Total)
Media drive (D:) CD/DVD
Media drive (E:) CD/DVDCD
Disk partition (F:) 9 GB Free (112 GB Total)
Disk partition (G:) 4 GB Free (34 GB Total)

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
Total available graphics memory 1407 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 640 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 767 MB
Display adapter driver version 7.15.11.6369
Primary monitor resolution 1920x1200
DirectX version DirectX 9.0 or better

Network

Network Adapter NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Network Adapter Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter

I thought I saw somewhere that it's recommended to have 4 gigs. Or maybe it was 2...

Is there anyway you can reduce that shared system memory or is that just the way it is?

Joe

The DVD playback is probably an issue divorced entirely from memory capacity and your CPU.

The BF2 problem, however, might be due to a lack of memory. Would you characterize your problem as pauses, as complete breaks in the action? Or do you literally mean that you drop into the tens of frames-per-second, with the action being constant but extremely sluggish?

To LstOfTheBrunnenG:
Well, more recently in BF2, the frames dropped to like the 10's per second, and even kicked me to desktop (yet game was still running in system tray).

To osalcido:
What do you mean by "dual core fix already?"

Thanks!

Would this "The AMD Dual Core Optimizer" apply to my processor, especially with Windows Vista?

The dual core optimizer fixed my video stuttering problems, I still don't know why I need them for an amd dual core but not an intel dual core.

Here's what I've heard about Vista Ultra, you need a minimum of 2 gigs of ram to run it in 32 bit mode with few or no errors, but in pure 64 bit mode it needs double the amount. If I were you, put that Vista Ultra away and stay with XP sp2 until they come out with sp2 for Vista. Besides, you don't need DX 10 right now, especially since 95% of the games out now only require DX 9.0c atm. Its just a thought though.

Also, what video card drivers are you using. Could also be video card related as well if the patches dont help at all.

Back