Help: 980 Pro 2tb or 970 Evo Plus 2tb for X99 Asus Rampage V Extreme Mobo

dpoverlord

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an X99 Asus Rampage V Extreme + 5930k build with windows on a 850 Pro 2 TB SSD

Currently I have never used the M.2. slot as I heard there were issues originally with the board.

I am curious if it is worth me making the move and if so is the 980 pro m.2. 2tb @ $249 that much better than the 970 Evo plus @$199.

Is there going to be a huge difference in speed? I feel this technology is a little older but my board wouldn't be able to take advantage of the newer drives anyway until a worthwhile upgrade comes my way.

Currently, I am using 3 2TB 850 Pro 2TB SSD's so I wonder if it is even worth getting an NVME for a slight gain.

Love any thoughts or opinions on this fun topic!

Benchmarks will certainly be much higher. Real-life, the difference will be much less obvious. The OS and games/apps may load a tad faster, as well as large files (e.g., editing large images/videos). General system responsiveness will be about the same (SATA and NVMe SSDs have roughly the same latency stats). Same-drive file copies will be much faster, but so what.

I'd say stick with what you have until the point comes that you actually require additional space, then go for a PCIe 4 (or maybe 5, if those are then a thing and the cost isn't stupid) NVMe unit.

Currently I have never used the M.2. slot as I heard there were issues originally with the board.

If you ended up actually having issues with the M.2 slot, you could always get something like this instead: https://www.amazon.com/GLOTRENDS-Adapter-Aluminum-Heatsink-PA09_HS/dp/B07FN3YZ8P/

I ran an X99+5820k setup for a while (now my backup system) and I used a card like that with a 960 Pro NVMe for years because the specific board I got didn't actually have any M.2 slots (I wanted max PCIe slots for 3-way SLI at the time).

As far as speed difference goes, you probably wouldn't notice a difference at this point. During real-world usage almost everything is held back by overhead from file-system protocols, so there is very little that can actually utilize the extra speed. There are new technologies such as DirectStorage, which will basically allow game textures to be transferred directly from the NVMe SSD to GPU VRam, bypassing the CPU and OS overhead. Only when these technologies become more mainstream will there begin to be a true advantage to NVMe. Unfortunately we're not quite there yet, as I don't know of a single game that already uses DirectStorage.

So I would recomend just keeping what you have. Wait until games actually begin to use DirectStorage and other similar technologies, then go all-in and get the fastest NVMe drive you can (Something better than the 980 Pro will probably be out by then).

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have an X99 Asus Rampage V Extreme + 5930k build with windows on a 850 Pro 2 TB SSD

I am curious if it is worth me making the move and if so is the 980 pro m.2. 2tb @ $249 that much better than the 970 Evo plus @$199.

Is there going to be a huge difference in speed? I feel this technology is a little older but my board wouldn't be able to take advantage of the newer drives anyway until a worthwhile upgrade comes my way.

Currently, I am using 3 2TB 850 Pro 2TB SSD's so I wonder if it is even worth getting an NVME for a slight gain.

Love any thoughts or opinions on this fun topic!
what do you use the computer for?------what needs all of that space?

In your current setup, I don't know that you'd see any difference since you're limited to PCIe 3.0 anyway. If you migrate the SSD to a new setup eventually, then I would expect the newer system to take advantage of the PCIe 4.0 of the 980 Pro.

Back