HELP 1 hour till ordering!!!

mrmodman

Limp Gawd
i need a good overclockable 939 mobo that supports x2 out of box i dont want to update bios cuz i dont have floppy drive
want to spend around 50-85
i have 1 gigaram gig stick and 1 512 generic memory(dont want problems)
will also be buying 1900gt (dont think it has crossfire) but dosent matter right now
i have a psu with 12V 14A 20pinmain connector+4pin
but im buying a seperat psu dedicated for graphics card

dude thats the last thing i wanna hear right now ive been looking online for day and day and still not decited

IntelOwnz said:
buy intel lol

reallll helpful :rolleyes:

$50-$85 that overclocks? donno about that one. your looking at Nforce 550 --er wait its 939 isnt it... hmm

I would suggest one of these. If its under the UT name you can bet its gonna have a fair wack of overclocking options. Dont expect it to be a nice cooperative mobo tho. DFI UTs never are.

also, a psu with 14A on a 12V rail sounds rather suspicious to me. you might wanna ditch that thing all together. I suspect Vdroop will be omgwtfmycardisdeadzorz.

i read alot about that board and not liking memory. will it have problems with samsung 512 stick and gigaram 1gig stick memory?

mrmodman said:
i read alot about that board and not liking memory. will it have problems with samsung 512 stick and gigaram 1gig stick memory?

Im not sure what you mean by not liking memory. It has been one of the more cooperative DFI boards I've ever used. I repaired a comp w/ one gig (2X 512MB sticks) of samsung DDR 400. The ram was working perfectly.

also i have a 20 pin psu could i just buy adapter for 24pin or do i have to get new psu?

reading customer reviews from newegg. check out this n00b:

Crash happy

Pros: Worked great until I tried to play gaems.

Cons: Motherboard constantly creashes to desktop while loading games, or if your lucky enough to load the game it crashes after a few minutes. Updating the bios helped a little however, it is still crash happy. Plan to RMA, have read about others having the same problem.

bout 1,000,000 to blame for crashing games other then the mobo phool.

Anywho, without being so sinical, I have read that DFI has the yellow slots reserved for "lower latency memory" and the orange ones for "standard latency". But that seems a little basic to me. Dont think people RMA before they try differant RAM configurations.

Either way, the vast majority of people who have worked with this board like it. 50% of those who dont are not computer savvy enough to even attempt a DFI board. With these things you really need to know what your doing. This board, the one I worked with, was fine. The guy brought the computer in with a dead PSU, completly un-related to this mobo.

14amp on the 12v rail wtf..... it isnt dual rail is it?

you need a new psu.

k well everyone has convinced me to get the dfi (i know my stuff around computers but i just wated some backup. still one question can i use a 20pin psu and a 4 cpu power connector? or do i have to have a 24pin?

and also i have the zalaman 7000cu will it fit with putting 2 sticks on the orange slots?

oh my psu is 17A on 1 12V rail sorry but im still getting a dedicated psu for my graphic card

everyone? its just me! lol!

I dont know about the 20->24 pin converter. i dont think you can. The four extra contacts on a 24 Pin connecter are; I THINK, 3X 3.3V ones and 1X 12V return. Im not sure. take that question to the PSU sub forum.

>>oh my psu is 17A on 1 12V rail sorry but im still getting a dedicated psu for my graphic card

Not a good idea. One PSU's 12v is not the same as another PSU's 12v. Running dual PSUs, you get differences between voltage rails that are supposed to be the same rail. The equipment was not designed to work that way.

Get a decent dual 12v Fortron or OCZ. DFI will not support dual PSUs, 20-24 pin adapters, under-rated PSUs, etc.

Go to the DFI Street forums and tell them what you want to do.
They will tell you the same thing.

You must have bought the last one, the link is no good. :)

If you are saying that you are connecting one PSU to the video card, and another PSU to the mobo and drives, that is running dual PSUs and is not recommended.

The average computer PSU is not designed to be connected in parallel to another PSU. It can cause all kinds of weird things to do so. Oscillations, lockups, possibly smoke and flames, etc.

I haven't seen that thing before.

I like the concept of auxiliary power for the GPU, but they still run into the issue of running a parallel PSU with the main host PSU.

There will be 12v comming into the GPU from this PSU, and then a different 12v being applied to the GPU on the PCI-E slot. This effectively puts the two PSUs in parallel.

If both PSUs were designed for parallel operation, then I'd see no problem at all. It's done with redundant PSUs on servers. BUT, those PSUs are designed to do that. Typical ATX PSUs are not.

Even if it does work ok, it's not a standard config and I would think running a system like that would void warranties. I'd be curious to know if Thermaltake will cover damage caused by this configuration.

I wouldn't do it on my system.

EDIT: Here's another thought... what happens if you unplug the main PSU while the system is running? Will the system then attempt to draw power THROUGH the GPU & PCI-E slot!??? HAHAHAHA! Please take pictures if you try that! :)

Spartacus said:
EDIT: Here's another thought... what happens if you unplug the main PSU while the system is running? Will the system then attempt to draw power THROUGH the GPU & PCI-E slot!??? HAHAHAHA! Please take pictures if you try that! :)

:rolleyes: someone needs to stop smoking crack for breakfast.

yeah but Dual PSUs is a bad idea.

MrWizard6600 said:
:rolleyes: someone needs to stop smoking crack for breakfast.

yeah but Dual PSUs is a bad idea.

What? Crack isn't just for breakfast anymore! :)

Seriously though.... I looked at the Thermaltake page on that PSU and I saw that the wiring diagram shows their custom ATX adapter that provides an extra 4 pin connector to their PSU. It is supposed to sync the power on/off states of both PSUs.

I still say that if an error condition ever existed that allowed the Thermaltake PSU to remain powered without the main PSU being powered, it would likely be "bad" (Ghostbuster term).

EDIT: My brother used to work with a guy who is now at Nvidia. I asked my brother to ask him his opinion on this thing, and if Nvidia cards are still warrantied if connected to this "Nvidia SLI Certified" piece of equipment. I'll post back when I get an answer.

Try this one: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=MS-7125-BULK&cpc=SCH I'm using this board and it's great. As far as upgrading the bios, you have to use msi's flash utility and that can actually be done through windows. Yes you heard me right, you can flash your bios in windows with the msi utility. I'm ocing my opty right now on that exact board, and not a bad deal either if I may say so myself!

Back