Hello! Going to buy myself a new monitor.

xeefus

Limp Gawd
Hello!

I'm going to buy a new monitor, well, as the topic says then.
But I'm completely lost right now... I'm not even sure if I want a CRT or a TFT(LCD) monitor yet.
I do play alot of games but also do some photoshopping and 3D-stuff.
And would it work with an LCD for Quake 3 Arena, I've heard that it doesn't work that great because of the refreshrate.
So, the price isn't THAT important as long as under 1.000$ I guess, but I want the most out of my money.
And I'm not that macho so I guess it shouldn't weigh too much :D A new 19" CRT would be pretty neat, my current one isn't even flat and got horrible image quality :(

Any help will be appreciated!

under $1000? get a dell 2405fpw 24 inch widescreen. u can usually get it around 750-800 with coupons. or the 20 inch widescreen, 2005fpw, is good 2. usually just under $400 with coupons.

Well, then the question is how well those work for gaming... They do look really pimp indeed :)
That's the main question I want answered.
And, I kinda would like to use low resolutions too... Like 640x480 because of I play that resolution in some games :p So, does low resolutions work on LCDs too? My friend got himself a Syncmaster 913N but it didn't work so he has to use 1280x1024 with his semi-slow computer in all games. Not that great :(

I dunno, the response time listed on specs is kinda high, but let the owners speak. I'm sure any ghosting won't be too drastic.

M'ichal said:
I dunno, the response time listed on specs is kinda high, but let the owners speak. I'm sure any ghosting won't be too drastic.
Yeah, the specs doesn't really make me "WOAH!" but the size and resolution is neato burrito.

A good all-around monitor is the Gateway 21".

It wont break your bank, specifically supports HD content (2405 is still fishy), has better response/contrast, and supports future HDCP technology (if its ever implemented).

LCD? Still noone who gives me CRT's... So CRT is like disappearing?
I've heard that CRT's got alot better response time and and image quality. :p
Well, hm... This is annoying! :D

640x480 resolution? why not just pick up a 2005FPW and a 7800 GTX video card and get out of the low resolution games. i got my 2005fpw for 389.00 + shipping.

LogicSound said:
640x480 resolution? why not just pick up a 2005FPW and a 7800 GTX video card and get out of the low resolution games. i got my 2005fpw for 389.00 + shipping.
Actually, I do have 7800GTX, X2 4400+ at 2.9ghz, 2gig of Crucial BallistiX at 601mhz.
I can play the latest games on high resolutions. It's just that I don't like the feeling of high-resolution in games like Quake 3 and stuff... It doesn't feel as smooth as low resolutions do.

Well, it's a different story for CRT. Yes, there is no lagging in CRTs, they're faster. As to image quality...well, I got an oooold CRT and I had an LCD for a few days and LCD had a way better picture. Some pic I looked seemed to be alive, I was like "wooow!" and now on CRT I'm just "kool!".
Answer yourself a question: "What am I looking for that an LCD has and a CRT doesn't have? And do I care about those advantages?"
Right now if you're saying you're concerned about graphics and games, CRT is proly a better solution. If u don't care about weight, size and space, you can get a decent CRT and it'll be good. Remember though that the viewing area of a CRT is smaller thatn LCD, so 19" CRT is smaller than 19" LCD.

I think CRT is the best route for you. You said you game and CRT's are the best for gaming, and you also said you use photoshop, where color rerepresantation is important, CRT is superior. The best CRT out there, would have to be the Sony FW900. These are 24" widescreen(22.5"). They are over $1,000 new but can be had on ebay for only $300. Here is a link to a highly reputable dealer of them who sells these that have gone of lease.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-TRINITRON-...ryZ99235QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Theres also a huge thread in this section titled I just got my 24inch CRT from ebay. I suggest you read that thread as well. It really is an amazing monitor.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Benton The Race said:
I think CRT is the best route for you. You said you game and CRT's are the best for gaming, and you also said you use photoshop, where color rerepresantation is important, CRT is superior. The best CRT out there, would have to be the Sony FW900. These are 24" widescreen(22.5"). They are over $1,000 new but can be had on ebay for only $300. Here is a link to a highly reputable dealer of them who sells these that have gone of lease.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-TRINITRON-...ryZ99235QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Theres also a huge thread in this section titled I just got my 24inch CRT from ebay. I suggest you read that thread as well. It really is an amazing monitor.

Sure looks neat... But the weight must be like a ton or two.
But, why is it not possible to play at 640x480 at LCD? That's like the main reason I haven't yet decided.
The refreshrate works differently at LCD so I guess it's better for my eyes, and I do sit alot infront of the computer :( So, hmm... The game I play the most is World of Warcraft, which would be nice playing in 1280x1024 since I play at 1280x960 on my current CRT which is like 5 years old.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
xeefus said:
Sure looks neat... But the weight must be like a ton or two.
But, why is it not possible to play at 640x480 at LCD? That's like the main reason I haven't yet decided.
The refreshrate works differently at LCD so I guess it's better for my eyes, and I do sit alot infront of the computer :( So, hmm... The game I play the most is World of Warcraft, which would be nice playing in 1280x1024 since I play at 1280x960 on my current CRT which is like 5 years old.
It weighs 96.4 pounds. It can display 1080i resolution HD ready. So if you wanted a 360, this is perfect as well.

Benton The Race said:
It weighs 96.4 pounds. It can display 1080i resolution HD ready. So if you wanted a 360, this is perfect as well.
Well not 360 but PS3... If it supports 1080i. That would be awesome!
BTW, are there different models cause I found a REALLY REALLY cheap FW900?
:)

Voleric said:
Sony CPD-G410R

I recently bought one of these and couldn't be happier:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824006008
19" TrinitronFD CRT that does 1600x1200 @ 85Hz for $189 +$29 3 day shipping.

I run a desktop res. of 1280x960 and text is clear and crisp.

Specs and manual can be found here:
http://esupport.sony.com/perl/model-documents.pl?mdl=CPDG410R
Hm hm, that sure looks like a nice monitor! I have always loved Sonys products...
But, I live in sweden. So, uhm, that one would be pretty hard to find here I guess.
And what's the weight in kilograms? :)

xeefus said:
Well not 360 but PS3... If it supports 1080i. That would be awesome!
BTW, are there different models cause I found a REALLY REALLY cheap FW900?
:)
Yeah, theres a sony and HP. The HP is exactly the same just a diffrent beige casing.

Benton The Race said:
Yeah, theres a sony and HP. The HP is exactly the same just a diffrent beige casing.
Sony Trinitron Multiscan GMD FW900 Color Trafic Disp
for ~180$, should I like ask if he still has it? Or is there a newer version?

Back