Hellgate: London requiring subscription fees for online play?!? - confirmed

http://www.hellgateguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2894

[...]

Obviously the topic of the day is the news from CES, and the controversy on pay models. We want the best of both worlds: free play for both single- and multi-player, AND an ongoing revenue model to fund the expansion of our world through ongoing content - something we never were able to do with the Diablo series at Blizzard. Exactly how we get there is the subject of ongoing discussion, but rest assured we're committed to significant free online multi-player play!

[...]

Max Schaefer
C.O.O. and co-founder, Flagship Studios

Greetings!

Gaming developers are moving to online-monthly-fees model.
Only way to make money with all the piracy.

Expect other developers to follow.

Greetings!

Well then expect sales to be lower too......Not all pay to play games will be as lucky as WoW with 8million subscribers......Reality shows it is hit or miss, and gameplay has to be easy to learn and not just for the hardcore fan......I am against pay to play for a shooter, but for a MMORPG with 10,000 players on one server and continous updates/content I can understand, but never for a CounterStrike style game

If it's fun and they plan on updating content on a regular basis I have no problem paying a monthly fee for their service.

i was reading that forum that was posted and apparently you can get some stuff for free but you can pay a monthly fee and get the premium content

I don't know about HG:L at this point. I really would like a single player experience. I hated Guild Wars; I tried it by myself and with a guild and I still hated it. I really don't like all of that forced on-line bullcrap; I like to be able to pause my damn game in the middle of it, go to the bathroom, smoke a cigarette or answer the phone and come back to it. Online gaming interferes with all of those necessary functions. They need to have some sort of "pause without getting kicked" mode if it is going to be strictly online, because I'm just not going to sit logged in for hours without getting up to a) get something to drink, b) get rid of what I drank, c) smoke so that I need something to drink, d) answer the phone since some idiot won't stop calling because I'm not answering the phone.

I don't know about HG:L at this point. I really would like a single player experience. I hated Guild Wars; I tried it by myself and with a guild and I still hated it. I really don't like all of that forced on-line bullcrap; I like to be able to pause my damn game in the middle of it, go to the bathroom, smoke a cigarette or answer the phone and come back to it. Online gaming interferes with all of those necessary functions. They need to have some sort of "pause without getting kicked" mode if it is going to be strictly online, because I'm just not going to sit logged in for hours without getting up to a) get something to drink, b) get rid of what I drank, c) smoke so that I need something to drink, d) answer the phone since some idiot won't stop calling because I'm not answering the phone.

I think HG L has single player. Its like D2 with multi player used for coop/pvp. Probably can return to town to take breaks and stuff. Not like GW where you have to quit to go to town.

"Most crucially, Roper noted that Hellgate: London is guaranteed to include some kind of free online mode that gamers will be able to access without any monetary commitment.

I didn't read the rest of the thread but I wanted to say... So there going to do something like planetside... You can play for free and level up a little bit but if you want to get a higher level and have access to the cool shit instead of getting your ass handed to you all the time your gonna have to pay.

Damit and now they have also stripped out LAN play as well.... Seems Bill Roper wants no one to have fun,unless he can keep his hands in thier pockets at ALL times :mad:

No editor,no LAN,and monthly fee's......whats next !!?!?!?!!!!! Bill is getting more and more greedy by the day.

I guess he wishes he had stayed with Blizzard,so he too would be raking in all that cash !!

:rolleyes:

I am not against devs making a living,and a good profit on a game they worked hard on,but this gimping mission they are on is a bit much.How much farther will Bill and company work to push me and many others away from this game come launch ?!?
Pretty damn far it seems !!

screw that. I refuse to pay a monthly fee for games. If I pay for the game, I expect to be able to play it without getting charged every month.

$10-$15/month is just way too much. That covers WAAY more than server maintenance & staff.
Consoles are getting more attractive everyday.

Damit and now they have also stripped out LAN play as well.... Seems Bill Roper wants no one to have fun,unless he can keep his hands in thier pockets at ALL times :mad:

No editor,no LAN,and monthly fee's......whats next !!?!?!?!!!!! Bill is getting more and more greedy by the day.

I guess he wishes he had stayed with Blizzard,so he too would be raking in all that cash !!

I am not against devs making a living,and a good profit on a game they worked hard on,but this gimping mission they are on is a bit much.How much farther will Bill and company work to push me and many others away from this game come launch ?!?

Striped out LAN play? Godamnit , that was the sole reason I was gonna buy it, to play a LAN game with my freind. Thats fucking wonderful.

Link plz.

Greetings!

I'm not convinced this is going to make people spend more money they usualy would, I don't see the total amount of money being injected into the games industy actually going up because of it.

And if it does, it will only go to the large popular studios with the big games like WoW.

Meh...

Pay to play an instanced game ... yeah ... i'll get right on that.:rolleyes:

Looks like I have a new project. A few years ago a group of us wrote a diablo 2 gameserver to be run separately from battlenet. Hellgate: London seems to be in need of a lan server now ^_^. What fun.

the way that lead developer was explaining at geforce lan 3.0 is that he liked diablo but he hated not being able to add content because there was no money to do so.

What annoys me is that Diablo 2 did have quite a lot of additions in patches (synergy patch anyone? completely changed the game) and anything requiring a massive change could be left for an expansion, I really loved battle.net and it's a shame they now consider a subscription fee the best option :(

Link plz.
http://www.hellgateguru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3124 how about this one, from 2 months ago
Pay to play an instanced game ... yeah ... i'll get right on that.:rolleyes:
they haven't decided on the pay model yet. and the most "recent" news is that, the regular online play will be free. however, if you want to create a Hardcore player, or PvP, or have a Guild Hall... those services will come at the cost. but don't take my word for it, anything can change.
I'll buy it as long as you can play the full game in single-player.
then i guess you'll be buying it :D

I would support subscription fee on ONE condition:

The game is free upfront. If you're going to charge a fee for providing a service, then you shouldn't have to pay extra up front. That, or include an equivalent amount of free months that equals the price of the game.

and $15 / month is way too much. That's just insane.
$10 a month I might. $5 definitely. $8 definitely.

The PC Gamer I just got says "summer".

Whatever that means.

Until products are out the door, anything that isn't said by the company directly is completely rumor in my eyes, same goes for the R600... which may or may not be out in time for this game! woot...

Im looking forward to this game based on just the single player.

the upcoming issues of "games for windows" magazine is gonna have hellgate on the front cover and it's supposed to have all of the final pricing on what you get for free vs. pay in their article. should be out pretty soon i think.

oh. lame. i was wanting a big epic solo-game. i don't want another World of warcraft. seems like they're wanting to make it a subscription based so that they're basically doing content work while making money as opposed to say diablo 2. d2 had alot of content added to it, but did blizzard make money past the intial buy? no.

/sigh god of war you're still the best.

EB Games says 9-03-2007.

Anyone whose been reserving/expecting video games for several years should know that those dates are bunk. Its an "expected" release date just to give people who preorder a window. FSS has stated their their projected timeframe for release will be "before the end of the summer."

So it could release in June, July, August, Sept... who knows? It could be pushed back as far as the end of the year for all we know. I remember Diablo II got pushed back at least 10 months from the original release date.

Elite Subscriptions - $9.95 a month

Crippled online - Free

Just released by Hellgate Guru. There will be some "free" online play, but your online account will be SEVERELY CRIPPLED unless you shell out $10/month extortion fees!!!

Fucking shithole pissants! :mad: :mad: :mad:
The latest issue of Games for Windows Magazine has revealed the elite subscription pricing behind Hellgate: London, which will be free to play online should you opt out of subscribing for additional features. These features, which will be available for $9.95 (depending on location) are as follows:

* Elite subscribers pay $9.95 a month
* 24/7 phone- and internet-support
* No (server) queues for elite subscribers, with preference over non-paying customers
* 3 chars per account for non-elites, 12 for elite-customers
* Elite subscribers can store up to 40 items (instead of 20 for non-subscribers), which can be accessed from any char in an account-wide item vault.
* Visible distinction from other players. Elite subscribers are recognisable from their equipment and may trade subscriber-only equipment to other elite subscribers.
* VIP-Shuttles to remote areas
* Housing and founding of guilds are enabled for subscribers. Elite subscribers may attain officer/leader priviledges within their guild.
* Elite subscribers have access to additional game modes, including Hardcore mode.
* Elite subscribers and non-subscribers can play with each other.
* Costs actually depend on where you live. Subscription fees in the Asian market will cost considerably less, in accordance to the market conditions and expectations of the players and local publishers within the region.

The subscription costs make it possible for Flagship Studios to produce additional content for Hellgate: London twice a month, or more. New content includes new items, monsters, areas, character classes and other content which are not present in the retail version of the game. It is not known as this time whether this additional content will only be available to paying subscribers.

This game just got renamed Hellgate; Blow Me :rolleyes: Fukk u and your monthly fee, especially for a shooter style game, and not a MMORPG with a big Wolrd like WoW and 15,000 player server's, I can give a sh!t about the game now

I just wanted this game for one reason, to play CoOp with my Bother's online, I dont need 100 people to play with, I dont care about five new mosnters a month and 2 new swords to whack off to for a fee every month. Just sell me the main game to play the single player story CoOp with a couple of buddies and I will be the happy stud :)

Elite Subscriptions - $9.95 a month

Crippled online - Free

Just released by Hellgate Guru. There will be some "free" online play, but your online account will be SEVERELY CRIPPLED unless you shell out $10/month extortion fees!!!

Fucking shithole pissants! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Why do you put FREE in quotes? There’s no trick to it. You either pay or you don’t.

Let’s see…
- 24/7 phone service… whoop dee doo.
- 3 char per account – ok, this one is a bit ridiculous. Even GW offers more then that, and it’s free
- 40 items vs 20 items – although it makes a little sense to offer more storage to subscribers, why limit it to 20 and 40 in a Diablo2 like game where collecting items is big part of fun? Major flow IMO
- Visible distinction – nothing but appearance. Useless IMO
- remote areas – fair enough…
- guild support – this is b/s, but not a deal breaker for me. I don’t intend to play in guild
- additional game modes – HC and… ? give me a list, I want to see if it’s worthwhile. Some kind of PvP I guess.. what else?

Meh.. I guess if you’re a collector or want to play in guild, free online is all you need. You’re not being crippled in any way.

Why do you put FREE in quotes? There’s no trick to it. You either pay or you don’t.

Let’s see…
- 24/7 phone service… whoop dee doo.
- 3 char per account – ok, this one is a bit ridiculous. Even GW offers more then that, and it’s free
- 40 items vs 20 items – although it makes a little sense to offer more storage to subscribers, why limit it to 20 and 40 in a Diablo2 like game where collecting items is big part of fun? Major flow IMO
- Visible distinction – nothing but appearance. Useless IMO
- remote areas – fair enough…
- guild support – this is b/s, but not a deal breaker for me. I don’t intend to play in guild
- additional game modes – HC and… ? give me a list, I want to see if it’s worthwhile. Some kind of PvP I guess.. what else?

Meh.. I guess if you’re a collector or want to play in guild, free online is all you need. You’re not being crippled in any way.

What do you mean? You certainly are being crippled. You mentioned several things yourself. Free gets only 3 slots vs the 12 for paid. Free has to wait in lines to get into games while paid skip and get right in. Free has half the storage capacity account-wide. Free has to hoof it to all areas, while paid get to warp there. Free has only a basic set of gear, while paid get access to better elite gear that they only can have/use. Free only get basic online play, while paid get Hardcore and who knows what else. Free might be lucky enough to have an email to send a problem in to, while paid gets 24/7 phone support. Free can only be basic members of a guild, Paid can create and lead guilds, and get personalized housing.

It sure sounds to me like the free service is crippled. It's kinda like MS Vista Home Basic - No one is expected to buy it, it just serves as an example of why you should buy Premium or Ultimate, while at the same time, giving MS (Flagship in this case) the necessary basis for claiming a "low TCO". It feels like a paper launch of the affordable thing done to get us to buy into the expensive thing.

What do you mean? You certainly are being crippled. You mentioned several things yourself. Free gets only 3 slots vs the 12 for paid. Free has to wait in lines to get into games while paid skip and get right in. Free has half the storage capacity account-wide. Free has to hoof it to all areas, while paid get to warp there. Free has only a basic set of gear, while paid get access to better elite gear that they only can have/use. Free only get basic online play, while paid get Hardcore and who knows what else. Free might be lucky enough to have an email to send a problem in to, while paid gets 24/7 phone support. Free can only be basic members of a guild, Paid can create and lead guilds, and get personalized
- 3 vs 12, agreed
-waiting, agreed
-storage - i think the german translation is wrong. 40 items for 12 characters? doesn't this seem low to you? i think it's 20/character and 40/character seems more reasonable. still.. agreed
-gear - the only difference is cosmetic. elite users won't be getting anything better
support - you still get support over e-mail or whatever. it's not like they're just going to forget about you. no opinion here, because in 15 years of me playing games, i've never had to call customer service for any of them
-guild - i'm neutral here, so i won't comment.

in essence, it's not much different from Tibia, now is it?

don't get me wrong, i too think it's a little sketchy, but 30 cents per day isn't a fortune. i'm still undecided if i'll pay or not... i'll wait for FSS to release detailed info in english before i make any judgment.

I do believe the storage item as originally quoted. I don't think that it is the total storage available to you, just what is transferrable account wide. Have a look at the Guild Wars stash/storage as accessed through the Xunlai agents. It is (was - recently got expanded) a SMALL storage bin that all your characters shared together - useful for transferring items from one account to another. However, the main storage place for each character is still their own personal on-character storage. I think it is going to be something like that, and that the paid players get to keep twice as much stuff in it as the free folks do.

Looks like Roper sold out. I know I wont be buying this game if those fees are real.

Back