Hell freezeth over. XBOX One to enable Crossplay with PC, Sony, etc.

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Read the announcement here. Lot more in the article.
A Letter from Chris Charla: ID@Xbox Updates and GDC

Cross-Network Play
First, in addition to natively supporting cross-platform play between Xbox One and Windows 10 games that use Xbox Live, we’re enabling developers to support cross-network play as well. This means players on Xbox One and Windows 10 using Xbox Live will be able to play with players on different online multiplayer networks – including other console and PC networks.

Of course, it’s up to game developers to support this feature, and Xbox Live players will always have the option of choosing to play only with other Xbox Live players. We’re thrilled to confirm that Psyonix’s Rocket League will be one of the first games to take advantage of this new capability by enabling cross-network play between Xbox One and PC players, with an open invitation for other networks to participate as well.

No way any big games are going to do this. 99% of CoD/Battlefield players on consoles would rage quit after getting destroyed by PC players.

I came here to post this, but you beat me to it. Thiss could be huge, but it definitely has a pretty large asterisk. I think if this ever happens, the first thing we'll see is the sports genre going cross platform. No one gets an advantage playing on a particular system with those games.

While awesome on the surface, everything about this new initiative seems very locked-in to their Windows store platform. As of today, it's a total mess.
I get what they're trying to do, but MS has never been any good at this kind of modality on the PC.

Pretty cool news, I'm hoping that Sony and Nintendo will play nice and open up their networks for cross-play (at least for 3rd party titles). It'd be really cool if this move will remove the requirement for Xbox Live Gold for multiplayer play on the Xbone, then forcing Sony to follow suit with PS+.

As for people complaining about being owned by the PC master race with their superior input methods, I'm sure it'd be easy enough to have a setting to opt out of matching with PC users (and vise versa).

If anything, perhaps the console manufacturers will introduce full support for gaming keyboards/mice. The days of a bunch of players sharing the same large sized TV monitor to play together seems to be waning - nowadays it seems like players spend their time playing online against other competitors using a computer monitor and desk setup.

Last edited:
And the PC crowd is furious that MS is trying to infest new PC games with that garbage. The circle of life is complete.

So far it seems to be limited to the Windows Store. I gave Gear of War on Windows 10 a chance and I'll be very wary of anything else in the store.

As for people complaining about being owned by the PC master race with their superior input methods, I'm sure it'd be easy enough to have a setting to opt out of matching with PC users (and vise versa).

Yup, you have to imagine that will be the case. In SF5, you can opt-out of cross-play with PS4 players or PC players if you like.

I don't think either side wants this. Only way this would work is if it forced cross platform controls. XBox controls only / VR controls only etc.
Even then PC players will have the advantage due to generally superior system performance and customization.

That does not mean they won't try it. Get people hooked on beating console players in game or cross chat, then set the hook.

I absolutely do want it...I just don't want to have to go through that awful MS store. I don't even care if it's game-by-game.
While people on this board have killer PC's, most PC's out there (including ones running WOW and the like) aren't going to be any better than the consoles. Many might be far worse if this actually catches on.

So far it seems to be limited to the Windows Store. I gave Gear of War on Windows 10 a chance and I'll be very wary of anything else in the store.

I guess that's not so bad since I already plan to avoid buying games from the windows store if I can.

GFWL never added anything of value to the games I played that had it but it did cause more than a few headaches, I hope I never have to deal with that crap again. Cross platform multiplayer is the one feature that some wanted so I can see how they think it might entice people. Personally I don't really care for multiplayer games anymore and a public server with console players just makes it less attractive for me but I'm sure there's plenty of people that would like to play with their friends that have a console.

It's been a long time since I've been aware of MS doing anything truly positive for PC gaming, DX12 sounds promising but I doubt they would have done much with that if the threat of Vulkan hadn't lit a fire under them.

This can be good and bad. Good in that you may have an increased player population. Bad in that games will have to be scaled to the lowest end system even more than it is now. That may end up being bad for the PC versions. And it will likely only work with match making. Few console games have server browsers. Though I suppose PC versions can have server browsers whereas consoles join to the same servers but go through match making.

It will really depend on the game. Low end games it would make sense. For something like Battlefield it won't. I've been playing Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed on PC a bit these past weeks. Essentially a Mario Kart clone. That kind of game would work great cross platform.

I don't understand all the complaining about controls. If you're good enough using whatever then it doesn't matter. Encounters with enemies are random; it doesn't matter what kind of controller you're using. Am I going to do better than a top level Xbox gamer just because I'm using a mouse and keyboard? My son is normally top 3 in Team Fortress 2 and he uses a 360 controller on the PC.

I don't understand all the complaining about controls. If you're good enough using whatever then it doesn't matter. Encounters with enemies are random; it doesn't matter what kind of controller you're using. Am I going to do better than a top level Xbox gamer just because I'm using a mouse and keyboard? My son is normally top 3 in Team Fortress 2 and he uses a 360 controller on the PC.

Mouse / Keyboard is not what i would describe as "infinitely" better. But its flat out superior. You'd be hard pressed to convince anyone otherwise. Put two teams against each other with equivalent controller experience, M / K vs Xbox controller. M / K will win. It won't be effortless but they'll win.

Depends on the game. For first person shooters mouse/keyboard is much better. A 3rd person fighting style game? Then they'd probably be equal.

Mouse / Keyboard is not what i would describe as "infinitely" better. But its flat out superior. You'd be hard pressed to convince anyone otherwise. Put two teams against each other with equivalent controller experience, M / K vs Xbox controller. M / K will win. It won't be effortless but they'll win.
Can depend heavily on the game as well. Most games these days are built with controllers in mind, slow movement, can only aim worth a shit standing still/walking while looking down the sights, spam AOE weapons/strikes, aim assist lol. In a game that requires real precision and tracking fast moving targets, a controller would be decimated by m/kb.

I've been playing rocket league against PC players on my PS4 for some time now.... It's always been about game devs coding the game to support multi platforms. MS is just wanting some attention for being late to the party.

Shooters and MMORPGs are the only things that I find KB/M to be far superior for. I actually think a controller is superior for most genres (blasphemy, here, I know...).

Not exactly, I am starting to use controllers for anything that doesn't require twitch mouse movements or aiming precision,for example, Valkyria Chronicals, FF games, though in the former I still miss mouse as aiming is still PITA (though granted you can take as long as you want when you are aiming).

I still use KB/M for most other things.

I use a pad for literally everything except shooters. I think it's easier and more comfortable. They have upwards of 20+ button functions now, so it's not like a keyboard has anything on them. The only downside is that a mouse is much quicker for aiming...but other than in shooters (or some RTS games where you use a pointer), that doesn't much matter.

Or you know... Maybe they would simply enable KB/M support in game on the consoles to level the playing field? It's not like they don't already support them. With the exception of better peripherals like higher end wheels and flight sticks, it should be pretty similar across the board.

I could see this happening for causal games at first. There really isn't much to lose by doing this with something like Minecraft where fun is more common to the game than competitiveness. Hard to say if they will even have any takers, but if they do it certainly could be a good way for a dev to promote their game over others. I'm definitely not going to pick up a console, but it would be nice to have the ability to play games with friends from either camp since we are already playing the same game. I think it might be even more interesting if this extended beyond that, aka android. In a non competitive game there definitely could be an advantage to mobile gaming meeting up and tying into pc or console gaming.

Not many Console companies will ever let go of the console accessory gold-mine that is the Controller. I would definitely considering getting a PS4 / Xboxetc if this happened universally.

Unless they get Origin and Steam on board this won't go anywhere. After GFWL died a horrible death, you won't see many gamers quickly rushing to windows 10 with the microsoft store to give them money.

I seriously doubt there would be any harm done besides costs in trying to see how things pan out. This shit sounds cool as hell. Everyone is so sensitive that some person on the other end whos using a controller isnt doing as well as their pc counter part would rage quit. Who gives a shit but damn I would definitely play more now if cross play was added. Like I said no harm done. If you can log online to whatever platform youre on then your a big boy/girl who can handle getting your ass handed here and there. Then they themselves will hand out a few asses and so forth. Why the uproar/negativity? Or did I read the responses wrong and raged myself. Sorry lol.

Anyone remember Quake 3 Dreamcast vs PC players? Those poor DC players got rocked...
I forget if you could use the DC mouse and keyboard to play Quake 3 on DC. You can use mouse+keyboard for UT3 on PS3, but I believe the game speed is 20% slower, or something like that.
Cross-network play could be interesting and convenient, if done well. The main thing is just to avoid all of Microsoft's shitty-ass UWP games. UWP is what needs to die. Well that and paid subscriptions for XBL and PSN.

That could be something...XB1 and PS4 players using keyboards and mice. They might convert 'budget' gamers over to the console that way.

Eurogamer Interview with a MS employee about CrossPlay. Here is a small excerpt. Read the article for more information that made me smile.
Microsoft on cross-network play, Xbox One dev kits and more

So when will I be able to play Rocket League on Xbox One against people on PlayStation 4?

Agostino Simonetta: Well as I said, it's always up to the developer to decide. We issued an open invitation.

It sounds like the ball is very much in other people's courts?

Agostino Simonetta: As far as we're concerned - we've made the announcement and we're ready - whoever wants to get on board. It remains an open invitation to any network that wants to do the same.

Have you heard any encouraging noises on that front? You must be friends with people at Sony - you used to work there! - your counterparts.

Agostino Simonetta: We can only say: we're ready. We've done our bit and we welcome anyone who wants to take part.

How difficult is it technically? Assume I'm a complete layman, because I am.

Agostino Simonetta: I'm a layman in these matters too - I'm not a technical person. It might not as easy as flipping a switch, but it can be done.

I don't know about this. I already get annoyed when playing against PS4 players in Rocket League. Could be my imagination, but they seem less mature and can only use the canned comments (can't type) which limits the interaction.

Back