Hell freezes over: Duke Nukem Forever @ PAX

If you go to Google, punch in Duke Nuke Em Forever, and hit News, all the major outlets are going with it. This is as real as it gets. :)

Looks like it's headed for all three. PC, XBox 360, and PS3. Looks out of date like we've feared, but hopefully some spit and polish is why we're not seeing it until next year.

I think it'll be fun. Those are early 360 screens. You know it'll look better as a finished product and especially maxed out on a nice PC.

I saw something that looked like a cross between Prey, Serious Sam, and Halo except it's DNF.

Looks like it's headed for all three. PC, XBox 360, and PS3. Looks out of date like we've feared, but hopefully some spit and polish is why we're not seeing it until next year.

yeah, it reeks of mediocrity...

screw it though, I'm still going to buy the DELUXE ULITMATE LIMITED COLLECTORS EDITION

yeah, it reeks of mediocrity...

screw it though, I'm still going to buy the DELUXE ULITMATE LIMITED COLLECTORS EDITION

Don't lose faith this early. ;)

17,000 people are watching this stream right now. http://www.ustream.tv/2kgameslive

The guy just said they even had 3D Realms people come in with them.

EDIT: About to show more.

Eventually... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'll believe it when I see it on store shelves.
Are you being sarcastic or serious? You honestly do not believe this game has been taken over and is in development now by another team? It's all just a big lie?

enough with the interviews..I've had my fill of the neckbeards and various uglies

Yeah, I have to move on with my day and enjoy the pretty weather. I get the idea.

I think when it's all said and done, Gearbox won't let us down. Will we some catering to the consoles? Of course. That's a given.

But if they can give us a quality title like they did with Borderlands I'll be plenty satisfied.

Here's hoping. :)

Yeah, I have to move on with my day and enjoy the pretty weather. I get the idea.

I think when it's all said and done, Gearbox won't let us down. Will we some catering to the consoles? Of course. That's a given.

But if they can give us a quality title like they did with Borderlands I'll be plenty satisfied.

Here's hoping. :)

agreed. at least they are not rushing it

I'm gonna' say Q2 2011 late May-early June

just hope something bad wont happpen to gearbox software while making duke.

just hope something bad wont happpen to gearbox software while making duke.

They'll be fine. Borderlands kicks ass and they got plenty of money off of it and are still making plenty of money off of it. :)

agreed. at least they are not rushing it

I'm gonna' say Q2 2011 late May-early June

That's fine by me. :)

eh, they are playing something. what and when are the questions. some people there said parts of it are rough.

HOLY SHIT! That's literally what I said outloud when I saw this. (I keep thinking that the internet just exploded at this news.) lol. I read another comment that sums up how I feel about this... "I am buying this on day one on principle alone... even if it sucks." I can't wait to play this...

http://pax.gamespot.com/story/62751...11-on-360-ps3-pc/?tag=latestheadlines;title;1

Duke Nukem Forever shipping in 2011 on 360, PS3, PC:

Yesterday as part of his prolific Twitter stream, 3D Realms president George Broussard posted a cryptic picture of pigs flying. Today, the reason became clear. At PAX Prime in Seattle, Gearbox president Randy Pitchford took the stage to announce that his studio has taken over Duke Nukem Forever, which had been in development at the now-all-but-defunct 3D Realms since 1997.

Hail to the king, baby!

Speaking to a shocked and enthusiastic crowd, Pitchford said, "We can't let the Duke die, right? The guys at 3D Realms who put their hearts and souls into this, so we wanted to make sure it hits all the platforms. It's coming to PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC in 2011."

Pitchford also told the Wall Street Journal that Gearbox took over the game in late 2009, following the quasi-closure of 3D Realms and tit-for-tat lawsuits between 3D Realms and Duken Nukem Forever publisher Take-Two Interactive. "Clearly the game hadn't been finished at 3D Realms but a lot of content had been created," he said. "The approach and investment and process at 3D Realms didn’t quite make it and it cracked at the end. With Gearbox Software we brought all those pieces together. It's the game it was meant to be."

Duke Nukem Forever is playable on the PAX Prime show floor.

Scott Miller, owner and CEO of 3D Realms, also reflected to the Journal why his studio failed to complete the game. "We were probably too much of a perfectionist about the game. When some other game had some great feature come out, we wanted to match it…We'd been distracted on other games like Prey. It was a combination of those things. We were trying to build a game that was too great."

Duke Nukem Forever will feature beasties like this.

Duke Nukem Forever isn't the first Duke Nukem game that Gearbox has worked on. In June, court filings in the Take-Two Interactive lawsuit against Duke Nukem Forever developer 3D Realms (incorporated as Apogee Software) revealed that another game featuring the first-person shooter icon was in the works at a "well-known game developer" as early as 2007. That mystery developer was, in fact, Gearbox.

The Duke Nukem-Gearbox connections don't stop there. Before forming Gearbox, Pitchford worked at 3D Realms on an expansion for Duke Nukem 3D for the PC. (The game was rereleased in 2008 as an Xbox Live Arcade title.) "People like George Broussard and the 3D Realms team are the reason I got into gaming," said Pitchford during today's speech.

Last edited:
Are you being sarcastic or serious? You honestly do not believe this game has been taken over and is in development now by another team? It's all just a big lie?

Lol, I'm totally serious. When I see it on store shelves for sale. Then and only then will I believe.

HOLY SHIT! That's literally what I said outloud when I saw this. (I keep thinking that the internet just exploded at this news.) lol. I read another comment that sums up how I feel about this... "I am buying this on day one on principle alone... even if it sucks." I can't wait to play this...

ditto

When I saw the pigs fly post over at Blues News yesterday...I knew exactly what it meant and that it was real, I even told my wife who has no idea what the hell I'm talking about that Duke is baaaack.

I hope it's not too dumbed down for the consoles, but then again Duke 3D wasn't really a complex game, either, was it?

Why'd this get moved to PC gaming section? It's a multi-platform game...

Why'd this get moved to PC gaming section? It's a multi-platform game...

Exactly my thoughts, I created the thread in the main section for all platforms. It has been confirmed for PC, PS3, and 360. 2011

Right, but I'm sure there will be a PC version. Are most games at PAX demo'd using consoles?
That was the PC version being played on the floor. They were just using 360 controllers because most gamers are console players. The lead producer at Gearbox said the PC version has 100% KB&M support and that PC players will not be disappointed with the control's.

You guys have to remember that the game was nearly finished when 3DR went belly up. Gearbox has been working on it since late 09. What that tells me is a lot of polishing has been going on and there is still several months left. The graphics may end up being dated but the game play may end up being great. It's not like people won't mod the shit out of this game with HD textures for years to come.

Back