Heh heh.....what a nice surprise (3DMark05)

Khaydarin

2[H]4U
I just got my Opty 170 and cranked it to 2.8 GHz, so my GTX 512 isnt bottlenecked anymore. But this isnt about the Opty, its about how well I can now see the power of the graphics card. I love it.

Today I was randomly trying 3DMark05 for the first time since I got my Opty (and OCed it). I knew my GTX 512 would actually run the way it was supposed to, and I wanted to see how much my score would improve from my old one (AMD64 3000) - 84xx points for my score.

I tried it out, and got 95xx points. I was kinda happy, though still wondering what I'd have to do to get up to 10,000; the "tier of graphic-processing glory" as it seems. Then, I realized that I had left my nvidia settings to force 8xAA and 16xAF. Heh WHOOPS. I turned those off and......

Got 10,586 for my score. :D

Alright, YES.....I know that 3DMark is a baseless, non gaming, stereotypical "benching" program that isnt really an indicator for any specific game.....ect ect. I've already been impressed after seeing my GTX512 come to life, but I just wanted to try this.

But would anyone suggest how I could get it to 11,000? :) My gpu is overclocked via the "detect optimal settings" (617, 1.79), and I have my cpu at 2.75 (though I can get it to 2.8 if I dont mind things getting a little warmer.)

[**EDIT** I just turned the Opty 170 to 2.8 (500 MHz increase), and the gpu clocks to (6.22, 1.79) - 10,706. So close.....]

I know this kinda dances along the fence in terms of topics, because I talk about both my graphics card and cpu. But since 3DMark is a graphics program, I thought this would be the right spot in the forums to stick it.

Any help? Suggestions? Snide remarks?

Perhaps an investment in better cooling and another 1GB RAM would do the trick. 2GB RAM would probably pick up the extra 300 points you want, and it would definitely help in current and especially future games.
Note: If you are running 2x512s right now, you might want to sell those sticks off and buy 2x1GB.

Werrd, you took me from top spot in 06 to 2nd.

I will have top spot soon...

haha

Back