hec orion 485d - does it have the heart of a champion (pics)

dualblade

Supreme [H]ardness
haha.....no

it's a tiny little fellow. i'm not sure how it's able to boast such good 12v rails unless they are done under impossible conditions or an outright lie.

Efficiency. It's got two 80mm fans too, which help tremendously in removing heat. I like how there's so many empty spots on the PCB. The new Zalman 460W (based on the FSP Green high-efficiency unit) also has non-existant guts inside.

No amount of efficiencty can compensate for basic electronic theory.

That PSU looks like a Powmax inside.

No choke coil on the AC side to act as any kind of AVR or PFC. A pair of 470uF caps, which is only acceptable if the PSU has active PFC.

The lack of transformers and rectifiers and reduced number of transistors tells me that all of the rails are on the same plane.

Where can I buy one of these so I can blow it up at 200W?

Gee it even has a maximum operating temperature of 35C(winter only) Looks kind of different from a PC power and cooling power supply unit. The photos shows a leaky glue gun and the web page has fantastic typo specs like; Dual 8 mm DC Fan? 100% Hi-Port? it even has a rush current of 150A (PEAK) for 230Vac?

i saw the 585w version in the hot deals section, and people seemed to be saying good things about it. i missed the good deal, but saw these 485w ones at mwave for $20 each. usually cheap power supplies have lousy 12v rails, but these were rated very well so i picked up 3 of them, thinking it was a great deal on a non-flashy but functional power supply. alot of people seem to use them in htpc's because they're quiet. well it turns out that my version of quiet is different from most people because these supplies are not really quiet. seasonics are quiet - you need to put your ear right up to them to tell that they're running. i actually have one of these running my new dual core a64 + 7800gt system, and it there's no instability or even any real voltage drop under load. that said, even if the guts weren't so eerily empty, i'd still want to replace it because i like a silent computer. i'll probably be picking up a seasonic s12 500w to suit my needs.

jonny, if you'd like to take one of these off my hands for testing, how's $25 including shipping? my guess is that these supplies won't be too bad to run a mid level system, but should not be trusted to perform as rated. i'd sure like to know what your lab tests show though.

You're going to try to make $5 off me? Man! :p

:D

lol, no i just said shipped to make it simple. mwave's price was $20 plus shipping and if you only ship one thing i think it was about $11 for shipping. i figured that you could get it from mwave for $31 with shipping or from me for $25. if that's not a fair price then what would you like to pay for the privilege of blowing up such a puny power supply?

i don't know if you need a brand new supply for the test, but i've got the one i took pictures of, which saw less than an hour of use, or another one that's brand new in box (still wrapped). you're welcome to either of them. actually, maybe you should buy both, and put the parts together to make it a bit more filled in there;)

Any chance or reposting the pics? They're not displaying any more because of excessive traffic.

larrymoencurly said:
Any chance or reposting the pics? They're not displaying any more because of excessive traffic.

i saw that and fixed them now (hopefully). now everyone can share in the amusement of hec's "my first psu". i swear, it looks like a glue gun threw up in there

Thanks for the repost, Dualblade. Wow, another manufacturer gone way downhill. Here's a photo of a 4-year-old 350W HEC. It's heatsinks are puny too, but at least it has an EMI filter, an extra filter coil on the output, and 1,000uF input filters:
open.jpg

I don't think this should make one believe that HEC has gone down hill as a whole. The Orion series is probably just an ultra cheap line. I'd still trust their other model lines.

I have a 585 watt one that just has been sitting around. Used it for a week, then went back to my Enermax and now XClio. It was worth the purchase just to satisfy my curiosity.

Back