Heavily Overclocked RTX 2080 Ti Averages 51 FPS in 3DMark Raytracing Benchmark

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The 3DMark team was present (at least in spirit) at GALAX’s recent GOC event in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, where they offered experienced overclockers the chance to test the limits of the RTX 2080 Ti with their new real-time ray-tracing benchmark, Port Royale. While the top-ranking contestant managed a winning score of 11069, the card never did manage to hit 60 FPS.

Swedish overclocker Tobias “Rauf” Bergström ranked first with a score of 11069, pulling well ahead of any competitor. He managed to average 51.25 FPS with a GALAX RTX 2080 Ti overclocked to 2.640 MHz (core clock) and 2.088 MHz (memory clock), thanks to liquid nitrogen. The PC configuration also included an Intel Core i9-9900K CPU, installed on an ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac motherboard.

I wonder many fps it gets in the old 3dm01 dirt track racing? Lol

3dmark needs to fire those artists, every one of their demo's looks so cartoony.

Thank god it's not just me thinking that! I'm sure there's lots of cutting edge technical stuff in these benchmarks but the futuremark art style time and again is just a throwback to another decade.

I get the sense that the ray trace haters loveSssss themS some AMD.. Which is absolutely looney tune.

Loving a corporation with no emotional attachment to you is crazy. Hating a company because thry gave you ray tracing is crazy. All these lame whiny comments are crazy.

No contemporary hardware ever does well with a new 3dMark benchmark. 51fps is actually impressive when taking this into account.

Too true. I remember firestrike extreme bringing my EVGA SC edition 780 to it's knees back in the day. I've got my Strix 2080TI OC'd very similarly to what Kyle did in his review and it got 14,405 in Timespy. In firestrike extreme it got over 17k. It took that many years/gens to truly crush it.

I love those guys ... liquid nitrogen and 50 fps and they're bragging about it? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that it's now a one card ray tracing solution in real time vs having work stations pre-render everything like the CGI movies do / used to do.

But just because you can do something, have they ever considered whether we need to or should be doing it? Do games really need ray tracing? Especially since (as shown by their own benchmarks) even the highest of high end cards can barely run RT well. This is keeping in mind that realistically speaking 2080 / Ti / Titan do not make up the bulk of their video card sales figures / joe average buyer / non-[H] gamer anyway.

Last edited:
I get the sense that the ray trace haters loveSssss themS some AMD.. Which is absolutely looney tune.

Loving a corporation with no emotional attachment to you is crazy. Hating a company because thry gave you ray tracing is crazy. All these lame whiny comments are crazy.

I don't think it's so much people "hating" ray-tracing, but more along the the lines of how Nvidia priced these cards relative to the actual real world performance gains, what they promised, and what's actually being delivered. Not to mention the numerous issues with the failure rate of these cards, and then to add on it all the whole "NDA fiasco" and I think people have sufficient reason to not like Nvidia at this juncture. I, at one point was a staunch Nvidia supporter, but I chose to go with AMD for my upgrade to take advantage of FreeSync. Gsync wasn't worth the added cost, especially at the performance difference of the cards in the price range I was aiming for.

While I can appreciate Nvidia for wanting to push the boundaries with new tech, I still remain wary of how they're going to implement it. GameWorks was a disaster IMO, and sadly most dev's jumped on board with it, I just hope RT isn't going to be another GameWorks type thing.

This gen for me is skip till next one. I have 1080ti's and raytracing isnt worth premium price. I live in Canada where it is almost 2000 after taxes. I can get two 1080ti's still save a few hundred than getting one 2080ti.

Do games really need ray tracing, especially since (as shown by their own benchmarks) even the highest of high end cards can barely run RT well.

You do not appear to realise the purpose of these benchmarks..

My days of chasing benchmark numbers stopped back when the 8800GTX was king, good memorys frying 5700 Nvidia cards though, those things had such poor cooling.

Methinks nGreedia gimped the consumer Turing chip too much. The RTX Titan has well over twice the RT throughput, and if nGreedia had then given the whole consumer range just 25% of that extra performance, then RT would have been far more viable, especially for the 2070, which is a pointless card, unless you like framerate gimped 1080p RT games.

But if an OCd 2080Ti only manages 51fps, then the 2070, the most pointless card ever, will struggle to get mid 20s... Total crap, and a taste of RT on Turing for the masses. I really hope nGreedia removes the RT from the rumored 2060, as that would be a slideshow. RTX tech will be interesting when it's about 3 or 4 times faster than what is set in the 2080Ti. So maybe next gen, assuming nGreedia can either manage it, or make themselves feel "generous" enough to bestow that gift to the great unwashed masses, which most other companies call their customers...

Lets just hope that this "gift" does not come with yet another doubling of price. If it does, I'm out of PC gaming, as the next gen consoles will be out, and will be damned close to what we have today in high end systems.

Last edited:
3dmark needs to fire those artists, every one of their demo's looks so cartoony.
I don't know what happened to them, all their demos looked like crap since vantage. Before that they were actually up there with the best you could achieve at the time in graphics.

Well...it had a lot of reflective surfaces... very shiny, but is that our new direction?.. everything has shiny reflective surfaces?...meanwhile character animations still look like crap.

50FPS on Liquid Nitrogen. What is the FPS for a regular stock cooling without it set to blow your ears off? Given the performance impact that we have seen in gaming so far where extreme effort has to be put in by the developer to tune every map and location to regain some performance due to RTS that won't be done my most developers due to the added cost. I see this as 100% gimic. Now DLSS looks promising if it's implemented in games?

NDF in action?

Have to say the increased speeds vs. all the complications of LN are not that impressive. Have to wonder if they were hitting the power limits of firmware or board. Many partner cards will easily OC to 2000-2100mhz on air and I've read of a few between 2100-2200 mhz on h20. Gaining 300-500 for the hassle of LN doesn't seem that impressive to me. A Strix 2080ti comes with mem clock at 1750mm and [H]ard got theirs to 1937mhz out of the box, this card on LN was 2088mhz.

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/10/31/asus_rog_strix_rtx_2080_ti_video_card_review/4

I have the same model OG Strix and have had virtually the exact same number's as [H]ard so I don't really understand why these LN overclocks didn't gain that much vs. air out of the box. Usually LN marks impress me to no end but not this.

I totally get all the RT hate, but then again... Have you truly contemplated the technological enhancement that RT is? I picked up a 2080ti after telling myself I'd skip the 20xx series cards and don't think I could go back, I'm super impressed.

I get 70ish FPS on BFV with RT and other settings on ULTRA with my 2k panel. Its not 144hz by any means but the game play is absolutely gorgeous. My mind was first blown away after seeing water reflections, an exact image of what was above was being rendered below. I haven't gotten to any cool explosions in the game yet, but I'm glad I got one.

I'll get the next gen too, because RT is awesome.

For a MMO player as long as performance doesnt tank or the client becomes laggy anything 20+ is usually fine. The only other issue that can come up is tearing. Lots of options for fixing that.

I'd GLADY play ANY single player or non-competitve game at 50fps with lots of RT features. I've got no problem with that as a starting point for building into ray tracing.

Sure, it's not really enough for competitive gamers yet.

You gonna LN cool your card to get the results they did in this article?

Back