Heatsink for Dual CPU setup?

liiroy

Limp Gawd
What heatsinks would fit on a dual CPU board like SuperMirco X10DAX?

Anything that's LGA2011-Narrow ILM should be fine on this. Personally I'm partial to the Supermicro 92mm tower heatsinks; I get mid-60s C load on a E5-2699V4.

There's a lot of confusion in this area. Let's break it down.

1. The LGA 2011 socket has two different heatsink mounts, the narrow and the square ILM. The narrow ILM is used on smaller boards most famously on the Asrock LGA 2011 ITX board but also some dual boards like the X9DR3 but the X10DAX is square. I have included pictures below.
  2. Beyond this you need a cooler which doesn't leave the Intel prescribed area. On single boards, if the cooler is oversized you might have some RAM clearance issues but here, you have two coolers trying to occupy the same space. For this reason, the typical recommendation are the Noctua workstation coolers . They fit square and narrow ILM both, quiet and powerful. The are no other quiet narrow ILM options, plain and simple, of course you could pick up some server coolers like the aforementioned Supermicro one and swap the fan to a Noctua one but why bother? But for square, many other coolers will fit. Practically all 92mm tower coolers are not a problem. For bigger, first you need to avoid very big square-like coolers but if the cooler is just a little wide but not too thick and overhangs the RAM slots that might or might not be fine. You might want to do research with many Asus dual boards, like the Z9PA-D8 instead, it's much more widespread. Example with Arctic Freezer i30 http://www.overclock.net/t/1343396/...sandy-bridge-ep-lga-2011-atx/50#post_19251584 Observe the heatpipes almost immediately going vertical and the heatsinks just hanging off space. Compare to say the Prolimatech Armageddon which has heatpipes running almost to the very edge of the fins. That one won't fit.
Pictures of the sockets:

S2011-Arten.jpg

xeon_ilm_support_dx_i4.jpg

Last edited:
I use cooler master 412 EVO and 412S in my asus Z9 and Z10 boards . No problen with RAM sticks. They are more affordable than Noctuas's

Back