Heatsink Fan- Which way??

A2TheRizzo

Limp Gawd
Hello, I am sort of new around here so if you can help me out I would really apreciate it. I just got a Thermalright Xp-90 in the mail the other day, and tomorrow I am getting a Panaflo H1B 92x92x25mm case fan for the '90. Which way will be the best way to cool it- blowing air onto the heatsink, or away from it? If I blow it away, there is a side exhaust fan in the path of the air. I have heard in some cases that people blew the air onto the heatsink. Which way would you recommend?

Here is a picture of what I am dealing with incase it might help you any.

DSCN0935.jpg

DSCN0932.jpg

Thank you! :)

^what they said ;)

But yes, you usually always have the fan blowing at the cpu, otherwise see what happens when you switch the direction of that side fan on the window if you can so its blowing in.

Towards the HSF is always recommended? I thought getting the air away from the HSF and letting it get sucked out by an exhaust fan was better =/.

The logic is this... Air on the open side of the heatsink is cooler than air that is against the motherboard, as it is absorbing heat from components and ICs.

Therefore, it'll make your cooler... um cooler if you push cooler air at it. :)

That explains the retardedly high temps when I had a Vantec Tornado strapped onto a TT M12 Cu heatsink. I ended up getting a Zalman + some AS5, hehe. :)

woot, I just installed it and it's at 32* idle, I'm gonna run prime when i go to eat. Plus the time it will take for the AS5 to really kick in.

I just got done priming, although my idle stayed the same, my load temps dropped 4*C! :-O I <3 my XP-90 other than the fact it was a bitch to install, and I now have 2 cuts on my hands..>:-(

lol... Why is it a bitch to install? Howd you cut yourself? My xp-90 was easy to install. I always latched the right side first and put it on an angle, then just pull the left side down and latch it. Simple.

Logan321 said:
Therefore, it'll make your cooler... um cooler if you push cooler air at it. :)
depends on the heatsink, like swiftech's helicoid pins work better with the fan sucking the heat off ;)

Retsam said:
lol... Why is it a bitch to install? Howd you cut yourself? My xp-90 was easy to install. I always latched the right side first and put it on an angle, then just pull the left side down and latch it. Simple.

Well at first I thought it was supposed to hang over the ram, so I screwed it up and got thermal paste everywhere. Then I stripped a screw and had trouble getting the mountin bracket back on. It took me a little over an hour and a half..:-( Don't laugh..I'm a noob.

Back