Heatmaps Reveal Exactly Where People Look?

HardOCP News

[H] News
At first, I wasn't too sure about this technology, but I was convinced after I saw the picture below. Women notice the shoes, men didn't even realize the model had feet. :D

They say the eyes tell all. Now thanks to eye-tracking technology we can tell they're saying, and the results point to fascinating differences between men and women and useful insights into advertising and design.

I found it surprising the women's side had them trying to view the crotch via the mirror image.... but that didn't show on the men's side at all.

Did we really need a study to tell us men would look at a naked women's face and body, while a woman would look at the entire figure, including "accessories"?

Not much of a surprise.... Men <3 boobies.

Actually I find it quite interesting. Women spent longer looking at the chick's shoes than men spent staring at her arse and the women actually spent more time perving at her breasts than the men did, and men spent a lot longer looking at a dude's crotch as well. Women also spent more time checking out the bikini clad chick's body than the men did (and reading the random writing off to the side).

Goes to show people are more worried about the junk of the people who are the same sex than actually observing the opposite sex.

Maybe the colors are just too broad of a range but what that says is that Men and Women both look at some spots the same amount of time, women however look at other areas where as men get bored and stop looking?

That said I must be a woman because I looked at the reflection to see if I can see any pubes? :D

Just below her right knee (not even on her body) is a light green area that the women were looking at. Odd.

Just below her right knee (not even on her body) is a light green area that the women were looking at. Odd.

Yeah I noticed that and was thinking "wtf are these women looking at". It'd be interesting to see the colour scale to know exactly how long how many people looked there to produce that green spot, maybe 1 chick just started daydreaming for a few seconds or something. Or maybe the calibration was off for one person.

chicks are looking at the muscle definition of her calf and wishing they were that toned, or whispering something to themselves about "skinny bitches"

This ain't rocket science.

Gaze patterns and eye tracking is certainly fun. Not only the difference between men and women but cultural too. These things do exist and corporations spend a lot of time and money understanding what it is people look at. It’s one of the fun things about my job.

If this is something you are interested in, take a look at into Human Factors. Great career if you are into figuring out how people tick...

Take a moment to check out this video, not about heat maps per say but interesting how we focus on tasks as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxgWHsfk6Zg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I don't know where Steve finds this stuff but on a daily basis I just about spit my coke out reading this site.

i think all this just shows the technology is flawed ...it is not a real representation..yet.

not a good image.

bring a full on nude, and see where the heat markers are.

for me, it's tits first, then face.
if she's turned around, ass first, then face.

Context matters, why would a guy look at marketing stuff directed towards women (shoes, text off to the side etc.) Give that sneakers chick a nice tactical shotgun to play with, and then show us the gender heat map.

That said I must be a woman because I looked at the reflection to see if I can see any pubes? :D

Yeah, I thought that was interesting as well. In the naked sneaker lady pic women stared at the reflection of her crotch while no men did such a thing.

Then there's a picture of a baseball player where both men and women look at the guy's face, mostly, but then the men stare at the guy's crotch for a long while as well. There is nothing on the female side.

So, people don't like to look at the crotch of the opposite sex, but will if the person is the same sex?

Yeah, I thought that was interesting as well. In the naked sneaker lady pic women stared at the reflection of her crotch while no men did such a thing.

Then there's a picture of a baseball player where both men and women look at the guy's face, mostly, but then the men stare at the guy's crotch for a long while as well. There is nothing on the female side.

So, people don't like to look at the crotch of the opposite sex, but will if the person is the same sex?

Agreed, it's like guys didn't even notice there was a mirror?

and the baseball player WTF ARE YOU LOOKING AT GUYS??!??!?!? :rolleyes:

Look at the picture of the baseball player. I find it interesting and scary that women don't look at the man's crotch, but men do. So much for being God's gift to women, only the wrong people notice.

Is this simple male versus female or Men versus Women.

I wonder if Gender plays a role.

Look at the picture of the baseball player. I find it interesting and scary that women don't look at the man's crotch, but men do. So much for being God's gift to women, only the wrong people notice.

I don't know, as somebody who got hit pretty hard in the crotch with a baseball, as a kid, playing little league, I find myself always looking to see if I can tell if a player is wearing a cup. Kids didn't wear cup back in those days. But I'm probably the anomaly. I guess people like to compare certain body parts among their own gender. I look at a guys muscles when I'm out and about, but I'm not gay.

Actually I find it quite interesting. Women spent longer looking at the chick's shoes than men spent staring at her arse and the women actually spent more time perving at her breasts than the men did, and men spent a lot longer looking at a dude's crotch as well. Women also spent more time checking out the bikini clad chick's body than the men did (and reading the random writing off to the side).

Goes to show people are more worried about the junk of the people who are the same sex than actually observing the opposite sex.

It's a comparison issue. Sizing up the competition.

I love how women look more at the butt crack then guys do, who appear to look more at the side of the legs

2072366.jpg

That seems odd that men are checking out dicks and women are checking out tits more than the opposite sex. :eek:

Back