Heatkiller IV TR4 inbound ?

BitMaster

Limp Gawd
Yesterday I asked Watercool in their forum if they still plan to send a HK-IV_TR4 to Kyle and, wow, promptly got the answer that it's about to be sent out, actually today.

Looking forward to see how it performs vs. Raystorm.

One of the reasons I didn't go TR4 but stayed on 1151/8700k was the delay of this HK-IV_TR4.

At least for 1151, this is the best block imho that I have come across and it ain't even the most expensive one.

That's great news.
Not so much for the threadripper part, but to get Heatkiller some press.

I have been using their blocks for at least the past 6 years. In fact I run a Heatkiller CPU Rev 3.0 on my main computer, have used the same one
since it was released. Currently it cools my re-lidded 7600K. All I do is periodically take it apart to clean it (annually). The thing is a beast and good looking as well.

Same for their GPU blocks.

Good news, really good news. Can't wait to see the review.

I had one of the all cooper version of the tr4 blocks for a few weeks.
It wieghs over 2 pounds !!! I look forward to seeing a review on it ! Hoping
he will find some tweaks that will squeeze out some more performance.

It will be a tough battle for the crown, that is for sure.

I do tho ask myself how service friendly those micro fin based blocks are when it comes to annual cleaning and some debris between the fins etc.. . I do know that I can do that pretty easy with a toothbrush on my HK-IV and not harm any fins, and those are also really small as well but not as small as the micro fins we saw in Kyle's reviews from what I can see from here.

2 Pounds pure copper..LoL..a proper passive cooler till 65w already I'd say haha

If the spring mount is as straight forward as with the 115x model I see an advantage right there.

Cmon..get that box to Kyle !

Hey folks,
great to see that you are already hyped :) Kyle's sample will be a little late, unfortunately. Demand for those blocks exceeded our expectations, and of course, we want to cater for our paying customers first! Review samples were pushed back to ~first week of January.
I would have LOVED to see one of these reviews with our blocks over the holidays, but on the other hand, we are super happy to have so many devoted fans and customers!

Hey folks,
great to see that you are already hyped :) Kyle's sample will be a little late, unfortunately. Demand for those blocks exceeded our expectations, and of course, we want to cater for our paying customers first! Review samples were pushed back to ~first week of January.
I would have LOVED to see one of these reviews with our blocks over the holidays, but on the other hand, we are super happy to have so many devoted fans and customers!
PAYING CUSTOMERS! WTF?

Seriously, I am going back and retesting all the TR4 blocks on the new CPU and board at this time. But my 1080Ti is still naked for you.

Hehehehehe........Jakob forgot something.......

If you show off your stuff to about 30 or 40 thousand computer geeks.......guess what......the one guy who had to wait a week to get his block
turns into hundreds of new customers.

I bet they do have a spare GTX 1080 Ti block sitting around to test out in the meantime.

Mine were a cinch to install and as always work flawlessly. TBH its more of a pain in the ass to remove the Founder's heatsink than install the water block.

Look what just arrived (thanks to Watercool prioritizing paying customer over reviewer samples and FedEx delivering on a Saturday):

2017-12-23 11.38.31.jpg 2017-12-23 11.55.45.jpg

Not trying to rub it in... At all... :D

Seriously, looking forward to the review since I probably won't have the time to install it before then.

Last edited:
Nice looking blk !! I like the top. What is the weight like ? My pure copper one is over 2 pounds.

Someone on one of the other forums weighed the copper it came in
at 2.3 pounds. Its a beast. I think your is better looking then mine. Here
are some pics of the all copper one

https://imgur.com/a/9FMIn

9FMIn

Look what just arrived (thanks to Watercool prioritizing paying customer over reviewer samples and FedEx delivering on a Saturday):

View attachment 47431 View attachment 47432

Not trying to rub it in... At all... :D

Seriously, looking forward to the review since I probably won't have the time to install it before then.
Wow, I thought that was the Bykski at first! Damn good looking block. Got it installed yet? Temps? vCore? Clocks?

Bykski-2-1280.jpg

Finally installed my Threadripper and Heatkiller yesterday (basically redid the whole loop). I did the 5-points method using ARCTIC MX-4. I'm running Prime95 blend test with everything at stock to make sure everything is stable. It's been about an hour and it's sitting around 46°C.

Edit:

At 4GHz (1.373v Core / 1.134v SOC), it's hovering around 61°C (with peaks at around 63°C) after about 45 minutes. I'm getting the reading from the lasted version of AIDA64. The 3 fans (Gentle Typhoon (550-1850rpm)) on the EK-CoolStream XE 360 are set at 36%. Not so bad I guess (?).

Last edited:

The light effect is nice but it's not perfectly uniform as you can see from the picture. The installation is really simple (basically place the cooler, insert screws/springs, screw everything down, and voilà!). They have included a nice hex wrench if you do not already have one.

I was really impressed by the machining on the bolts. Looks really nice !! I had a hard time getting the screws started the first time
i placed the blk. The dame thing was sliding all over the place. Would have been easier if i had the mb out instead of in the case.

The dame thing was sliding all over the place. Would have been easier if i had the mb out instead of in the case.

I installed one screw without the spring just to keep this from happening. This made it easyer to push down and screw down the other 3 (then I reinstalled that first one correctly).

Like you said, it probably would not have been an issue if the motherboard had been outside the case. With 2 kids running around the workbench I had to cut some corners.

I installed one screw without the spring just to keep this from happening. This made it easyer to push down and screw down the other 3 (then I reinstalled that first one correctly).

Like you said, it probably would not have been an issue if the motherboard had been outside the case. With 2 kids running around the workbench I had to cut some corners.

Yea that is how i did it also. On the second time i did the block. I been really happy with mine. Its the all copper one.

How are you temps?

Really good. I have had both the Xspc and the heatkiller on my 1920x. The data is not comparable
due to different ambient and paste. Currently in a 76f degree room with a mining load on the cpu and my
2 1080ti's i sit around 47 to 49 c.

For me it was hard to get a good application of paste with the heatkiller. I reset the blk many times
before i was happy with the result. Most of this i believe was just user error :). U can get a good
tight fit. I have heard of some folks actually sheering the bolts in half.

I can't wait to see how the blk stacks up when Klye test it. To my eye i believe we will have a new tr4 champ.

My Heatkiller IV blocks (matching set of Acrylic Nickel-Black for TR4 and TXp) will be here on Monday. Unfortunately I'm still waiting on other orders to be shipped, plus I haven't purchased the CPU and mainboard yet (waiting on state tax refund or next payday, whichever comes first). It'll likely be another couple of weeks before my new system is built.

Back