Heatkiller IV the best?

Despotes

Gawd
Considering going back to AMD. Likely a 3900X system and will have to buy another block unless there's an AMD adapter. Is the Heatkiller IV the best performing or close to it?

Last edited:
This is going to be a controversial subject, as everyone has their favorites, and there are scant reviews for waterblocks

That said, back before the H main page went down, Kyle did a few Threadripper block reviews, and if memory serves, in those the Heatkiller IV Pro did the best, or at least tied for the best. Based on this I got one for my Threadripper build.

Now, the Threadripper blocks are larger blocks and not the same design as those for the standard sockets, so who knows if this holds up on the smaller ones. I am very happy with mine though.

Last edited:
I remember the XSPC Raystorm Neo fared pretty well too. It's what I chose for the two threadripper builds I had.
I don't recall issues with the Heatkiller

I remember the XSPC Raystorm Neo fared pretty well too. It's what I chose for the two threadripper builds I had.
I don't recall issues with the Heatkiller

Yeah, it's too bad the main page went down so we can't refresh our memories.

The internet archive seem to have nabbed the first page of the reviews, but the subsequent pages (where all the data was) are lost to history.

Yeah, it's too bad the main page went down so we can't refresh our memories.

The internet archive seem to have nabbed the first page of the reviews, but the subsequent pages (where all the data was) are lost to history.
Yeah, I know. I saw that too.

Anybody recall if there were any appreciable differences between the versions of the IV Pro? Black Copper--Pure copper--Acrylic, Acetal ect

Anybody recall if there were any appreciable differences between the versions of the IV Pro? Black Copper--Pure copper--Acrylic, Acetal ect

I think Kyle only tested the one version, but if I had to guess the differences are mostly aesthetic. Most of the heat dissipation happens across the cold plate on the bottom, and those are identical between models.

Full metal ones are usually a tiny bit better but not that much better in order to get it over one with a plastic top imo.

I've got a Heatkiller Pro Acetal on my 3900X.

It performs admirably. 63.5°c maximum under load, after heat soak, in a system with a 1080ti (also under load), with 1x 420mm, 1x 480mm rads.

Full metal ones are usually a tiny bit better but not that much better in order to get it over one with a plastic top imo.

I usually get the all metal ones, not because of temps, but because I feel more confident with the inlet and outlet threads cut in metal

For what it's worth, I used the all metal, nickel plated version of the Heatkiller IV Pro block for my Threadripper build.

I am very impressed with it. I could quote you temperatures and whatnot, but they are not going to be terribly relevant, unless you are comparing them on the same CPU and with the same loop, fan speed, room temp and radiator capacity, but I will say this:

In my loop I have my fan speed controlled to maintain water loop temp at or below 33C. It's not a traditional fan curve, but rather more of a PID controller which is set to a target of 33C and increases fan speed if the temp goes up, and drops fan speed if the temp goes down, to maintain 33C.

I used to have a 32nm 6C/12T Core i7-3930k overclocked to 4.8Ghz, with an EK Supremacy EVO all copper block. At full load the temps would go up to the high 80's. So we are talking a 55-56C delta T over the coolant temp.

Now, with my Threadripper 3960x, stock at full load in Prime95, depending on the test (Small FFT, etc.) it sits between 62C and 68C, a 29-35 delta T to the coolant temp.

Now, a large portion of this has to do with the 32nm vs 7nm process, but still it is pretty nice. Without testing everything under the same conditions like a reviewer would, I can't tell you how much of this is due to the block. Sadly, the type of apples to apples comparison Kyle did in his block reviews are pretty rare in the custom water loop world.

The only objective measure I can give you is that my flow is much better with the Heatkiller IV. With my pump at max speed I used to get a flow in the 0.85 to 0.9 GPM range.

Having changed nothing but the CPU block, that has gone up to 1.25GPM at full pump speed.

So, this block is definitely less restrictive.

Last edited:
Well I hope it's the best because I just bought one :p

It's gotta be better than my current block. Apogee GT strapped to the mainboard with some long screws and two pieces of an old steel ruler. My temps aren't so great.

Considering going back to AMD. Likely a 3900X system and will have to buy another block unless there's an AMD adapter. Is the Heatkiller IV the best performing or close to it?

Apparently the Optimus block beats is by a good margin.

There's a test vid by perf pcs. Lemme find it again.

I don't see any data in the vid.

I think most blocks are going to perform within a few degrees of eachother unless there is a huge change in wb design. All blocks are currently using really similar designs, pretty much a jet and microfins.

You'll only see a huge discrepancy with glaring design flaws (ala ekwb threadripper block)

I don't see any data in the vid.

I think most blocks are going to perform within a few degrees of eachother unless there is a huge change in wb design. All blocks are currently using really similar designs, pretty much a jet and microfins.

You'll only see a huge discrepancy with glaring design flaws (ala ekwb threadripper block)

What do you mean you didn't see any data?

There's a test vid by perf pcs. Lemme find it again.

I have a hard time believing that data is solid and I have had a lot of time with HK and Optimus products. Not buying into a 6 to 7C delta. I think there are some variable issues in that testing. That said, I have found Optimus products to be worth every cent, so I think you can buy from them with confidence.

I have a hard time believing that data is solid and I have had a lot of time with HK and Optimus products. Not buying into a 6 to 7C delta. I think there are some variable issues in that testing. That said, I have found Optimus products to be worth every cent, so I think you can buy from them with confidence.

That's why I wrote apparently. That said, their TR3 block looks pretty serious especially the size of the cold plate in preparation 64 cores.

Just placed the order for the 3900X, mobo and NVME. now to find the HK IV Pro in stock somewhere...or Optimus--I'll have to compare
The Optimus looks to be less restrictive and has same size fitting as my Raystorm Pro, but $179 for the Signature V2. Curious how the less expensive Foundation versions compare.

Last edited:
Just placed the order for the 3900X, mobo and NVME. now to find the HK IV in stock somewhere...or Optimus--I'll have to compare

Yeah, ever since the 3950 and the new Threadrippers launched Watercool's AM4 and Threadripper blocks have been a little scarce stateside. The usual suspects in water-cooling retail don't have their shit together and haven't been ordering enough quantity wise to satisfy the U.S. market.

I wound up going straight to the source and ordering off of Watercool.de, but that of course means it takes a little while for it to get here.

Wasn't as bad as I was expecting though. I ordered on December 4th. I wasn't in a hurry, as I didn't have my Threadripper yet, so I chose their standard U.S shipping method, FedEx International Economy.

Their webpage said they were experiencing unusual demand and it would take a few days to ship. It finally shipped on the following Monday December 9th and arrived on Friday December 13th.

That's really not bad for cross Atlantic shipping, especially during the height of Christmas gift season when customs is usually overwhelmed. It would probably be even faster now.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Just installed my new heatkiller 4 Friday night. Wow what a difference. I just got the basic version as I feel a difference of only a couple degrees isn't worth it. Although the more expensive ones do look very sexy....

I still have some testing to do, but so far not bad. Skylake i5 6600k, idle is 32C and full load is 53C at stock. Much better than what I was getting before.

Now there is a reason for that. My old block is a dinosaur apogee GT. Never designed to mount to socket 1151, so I did some ghetto mounting. Insert joke here. Didn't have a backplate....area under the CPU bowed out. The backplate that you can buy with the heatkiller really is excellent. Quite thick and well made. Stiffened things up right good.

Some might wonder why bother doing this with a Skylake? Simple. I can transfer this setup over to any platform, might just need an adapter kit.

Yeah, the lack of a back plate with the Optimus leaves me apprehensive. Boards do bend over time when subject to heat and pressure.

First time I’ve ever heard of Optimus waterblocks. They look amazing! Would love to try them out one day.

Yeah, the lack of a back plate with the Optimus leaves me apprehensive. Boards do bend over time when subject to heat and pressure.

After this little fiasco, I don think I'd ever buy one without a backplate unless the mainboard already had something there.

After this little fiasco, I don think I'd ever buy one without a backplate unless the mainboard already had something there.

For most sockets I agree.

For Threadripper I don't think any of the ones I have seen use any kind of backplate. They just screw I to the frame around the CPU which seems pretty damned sturdy to me

Ordred the Optimus Foundation. I'm assuming the cpu back plate that comes with the mobo is used with it. Asus Crosshair Hero VIII

More and more I look at these blocks... makes me want to get them. Too bad it would run 700 bucks.

Removing the back plate is a no go. Will mod as well.
Necro, but my next kit will be a dual 180 in a Torrent with a Heatkiller IV AM5 7950X... My only dilemma, the NH-U12A that's on it now is doing really well...

Last edited:
The Heatkiller iV is still a cood waterblock. I tested this waterblock against EK Aquacomputer and my prototype.

Back