Heat traps in new cases

wandplus

Limp Gawd
Does anyone agree with this? Lately when looking at cases I don't even know if I can bother. They're now putting a sort of metal barrier above the power supply that hides the power supply and hard drives. I don't think this is ideal for either the PSU or HD temperatures. I prefer to have a fan in front of the drives. This may be because they want a large window but I only want one large enough to see the case fans and CPU fan. The CPU fan for me being the most important one I can see. I've kept machines on long enough to have fan failures.

And I don't even need to see totally painted insides either. Even if it was, dark blue might work better. If everything is black like mobo, case and screws, once you drop a screw you need a flashlight to find it.

Does anyone agree with this? Lately when looking at cases I don't even know if I can bother. They're now putting a sort of metal barrier above the power supply that hides the power supply and hard drives. I don't think this is ideal for either the PSU or HD temperatures. I prefer to have a fan in front of the drives. This may be because they want a large window but I only want one large enough to see the case fans and CPU fan. The CPU fan for me being the most important one I can see. I've kept machines on long enough to have fan failures.

And I don't even need to see totally painted insides either. Even if it was, dark blue might work better. If everything is black like mobo, case and screws, once you drop a screw you need a flashlight to find it.
Not much of a fan of those silly shrouds either, but they are not a problem for the psu temps since those cases are designed for the psu to draw in fresh air directly through a hole in the bottom of the case.

Does anyone agree with this?
No. there are plenty options out there like the H7 Flow I have that have an open end to the shroud that allows the front intake fans to pull in cool air into the power supply area, and as mentioned by emphy the fan on the PSU brings in cool air as well. I still have a Corsair 780T here that build in once in a while that doesn't have a shroud.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not much of a fan of those silly shrouds either, but they are not a problem for the psu temps since those cases are designed for the psu to draw in fresh air directly through a hole in the bottom of the case.

That's great if you have your computer on a desk, but many people have their tower on the floor on carpet, in which case the PSU gets almost zero airflow. Older bottom mount cases without shrouds often had double mount holes so the PSU could be installed with the fan down or fan up to pull from inside the case.

These might seem like superficial criticisms but for one, if you have a cool PSU, you'd want to show it off. Second, I think cases ought to be made so you can mount a fan near the hard drives.

Back