Heat Shield for Evga 295?

ReconSniper

[H]ard|Gawd
So I was on the Evga website today and found this. It seems to be a heat shield for the back of the card. The question I have is, why didnt the card come with it? I think they were in too big of a rush getting this product released that they didnt add it stock. Now they are charging 19.99 for something I would expect to have for free. What are your guys thoughts? Will it change the temps enough to warrant 20 bucks?

http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=401-EV-1234-01

Evga only user installed accessory. If it's anything close to the hot fan shroud on the 9600...it should help.

Wonder how much weight it adds?

I'm really wondering why that doesn't come standard. The exposed PCB is.... well it just looks unfinished.

Evga only user installed accessory. If it's anything close the hot fan shroud on the 9600...it should help.

Wonder how much weight it adds?

Probably 7 pounds. This card is HEAVY!!! I just signed up at the local Golds Gym just so I can build the strength to carry my case around when I need to move it.

I'm really wondering why that doesn't come standard. The exposed PCB is.... well it just looks unfinished.

Right.....because almost every other card on the market doesn't have an exposed PCB...:rolleyes:

This was not included stock because it is not needed

What?
Hasn't every video card ever made had an exposed PCB?

The first cards I've ever seen with a back cover on the PCB were the GTX 260/280.
I just assumed it was a cosmetic feature.

Unfinished? Are you new to PC upgrades? Video cards have had exposed PCB's since their creation until just recently when Nvidia chose to cover the backside of the PCB on the 200 series because they use the backplate as a heatsink for the ram. However, the new 55nm cards don't have ram on the backside of the card, therefore not necessary to use a heatsink. eVGA created these plates simply for looks because some people missed the backplate on the new 55nm's.

Personally, I think it's silly to use one as it will only trap heat on the back of the card, but if looks are your thing...

criccio said it looks unfinished because the other two Nvidia cards (260, 280) both come with a full coverage cooler which includes a backplate. If those two cards come with a backplate, why doesn't the 285?

criccio said it looks unfinished because the other two Nvidia cards (260, 280) both come with a full coverage cooler which includes a backplate. If those two cards come with a backplate, why doesn't the 285?

cuz it runs cooler? :confused:

I've already explained why, did you not read the thread? The 260(65nm) and 280 cards have ram on the backside of the card, therefore they need a heatsink to cool the chips. The 260(55nm), 285 and 295 do not need the backplate because there's no ram on the backside of those cards. The ram is all on the front side of those cards.

Also the reason why it didnt originally come with the backplate is because these cards were reference designed not to have it. The backplates are made of brushed aluminum material and they should be good for conducting heat.

Here are some user pics (jacob)
401ev123401xl1ck8.jpg

incasejx3.png

onboardvc3.jpg

Oh, it'll conduct heat alright, and it'll hold it right next to the card. The card should cool faster without it. It was created for "bling" factor, nothing more.

You guys would be surprised how many people on the EVGA forums are complaining that these cards dont have a backplate and all the others do... even though thats how the reference design is.

The back plate looks good. It looks like the design won't hold much heat up against the card, it has a lot of air holes. Its cosmetic, but shouldn't have any meaningful negative effects.

Back