HEAT.NET - Were you there, do you remember? Post up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The HEAT network will run on PCs that meet the following minimum requirements:

Operating System: Win '95
Processor: Pentium 75 MHz
Modem Speed: 28.8 +
Memory: 16 MB RAM +
CD ROM Drive: 2X Speed
Internet Connection: Internet Service Provider (ISP)
Internet Browser: Java Enabled (Netscape 3.01+ or Internet Explorer 3.0+)
Other: 20 MB free on Hard drive
IMPORTANT NOTE:
At present HEAT WON’T play games through AOL, Compuserve, or Prodigy.

Please see Web Bullet offer below!!!

You will need all of the following software to run HEAT. If you do not have something, you can download it from this page.

If you don’t want to download Katalyst, the HEAT exclusive Games Demos and Web Bullet and would rather receive a HEAT CD-ROM with these files through the U.S. Mail, you should continue on with the registration process now. When you are presented with the option of receiving your HEAT CD through the mail select the appropriate option. Please note: You must enter your correct mailing address when entering your information as that is the address to which your HEAT CD will be shipped. Please allow 2-3 weeks for delivery.

Hey DHalen,

I was an active member of Heat. I even won the player of the year award in 1998 under the alias Tapewormz. Reniu won it the previous year. Glad you joined the Steam Group. Get Reniu to join it also and anyone else you're still in contact with. Thanks for posting this, it sure brings back good memories.

General Heat aka Grillo and several other Heat staff aliases is a member of our Steam Group. He ran the Footsoldiers program, and ran some trivia in the game lobbies and handed out lots of degrees.

poty1998_full.jpg

Tapewormz

I remember heat.net I'm 26 now. I was like 12-15 when I played. I played Kingpin Life of crime. That game is so awesome, I still play on the free gamespy app that came with it.
here is the icon still in the install folder. I miss it. I had 56k Dialup then too. By the time I had highspeed heat.net was dead.
I remember once the site was down, we could still get in the back door and play on heat for about a week. I cry mostly when i think of it.

Llvdj.jpg

Haha, yeah it totally blows. It was an awesome service and had an awesome staff. Unfortunately for them, profit wasn't a big concern.

I played around the same age, I am 28 now.

My earliest memories were using Sirdoom and the like on dial-up BBS's.
Once the internet gaming world kicked off, I definitely remember using a lot of QSpy and later GameSpy. GameSpy was pretty much all I messed with until games started using their own browsers (and now Steam).

My earliest memories were using Sirdoom and the like on dial-up BBS's.
Once the internet gaming world kicked off, I definitely remember using a lot of QSpy and later GameSpy. GameSpy was pretty much all I messed with until games started using their own browsers (and now Steam).

gamespy is all i used for the Q2-LMCTF days

You used Xerxes, I remember the handle.....

http://board.flashkit.com/board/archive/index.php/t-250718.html

Xerxes
01-06-2002, 09:13 PM
Well, I used to go to Heat.net to play online games all the time. I got some new games a little while ago...so, I though...hey, I will go to heat and see if my account is still active. Well, unfortunatly Heat.net is no more. So, my question is: Where would be the best place to play PC games online for free (Like heat.net's service). I mostly have new Interplay games...if that makes a difference.

Thanks guys. ;)
- Xerxes

Nice find, but thats not me. I worked at a ski resort in 2001-2002 and didnt have a computer for the year. I used All-seeing-eye pretty much exclusively after HEAT.net died. But I sure missed the chats and community.

Interplay.... Wow, didnt they turn into present day Atari? Infogrames>Interplay>Atari? That was a long time ago.

I used heat.net for Warcraft, I forgot all about it until now. I used Kali mostly and that was to play pirated versions of Warcraft 3 DOTA back in like...2003?

Kali user for Mechwarrior 2 mostly, but some Duke action also.
After that, I remember GameSpy became kind of big.

Best GameSpy game, Fallout: Tactics -> but only the demo! no uber mutants and super soldiers with complete damage immunity. The demo let you play some simple generic guys on one map, but because you were so limited, everyone was on an even playing field.

I was there.
...playing numerous titles, and I recognize some of the names mentioned.

I'm also 26, and I never did beat Kingpin: Life of Crime...hmm... I think I lost interest or perhaps I was too involved in RL.

i played on heat,mplayer,gamespy,zone,kali...woot good fun there.
mplayer got bought out by gamespy...then the guys from mplayer tried to create seemeplayme..that didnt do to well.

good fun their.
games played their :Rainbow Six/Quake 2

soo much q2 nostalgia in this thread makes me sad. Miss the days of playing q2dm1 or edge on Erols for days at a time. Played some on Heat, zone and clan stuff through IRC

Gaming just doesnt feel the same nowadays

soo much q2 nostalgia in this thread makes me sad. Miss the days of playing q2dm1 or edge on Erols for days at a time. Played some on Heat, zone and clan stuff through IRC

jumping from the ledge all the way to the cliff with the rocket packs, just above the pool with the rail gun underneath inside the tunnel............

strafe jumping was awesome

heh or reverse edge! Gaming will never be as epic as Q2...

does anyone remember playing rails only on edge...jumping off the top of the elevator.. :) good times

I used to play my heart out on Heat! My old user name was: nwo316 and I do actually remember some of you guys on there! I remember my partner in crimes alias was coldheart but everything just vanished after Heat's demise. Those were some fun times weren't they?

So many hours of playing this game...

Me and one other guy were always fighting for the top spot...

7713_large.jpeg

Heat/Mplayer got a lot of shit from people. But I really enjoyed roaming the lobbies, chatting, meeting people and then jumping from game to game all via a single interface. It was the steam of it's day minus the ability to purchase software. I still think that Steam could take a lesson from Heat/Mplayer in several respects.

Wow, my brain had a nostalgic brain fart. Wow, I completely forgot about this thing.

And as stated before, Army Men was awesome on Heat. Played it all the time.

Last epic game I remember playing on Mplayer was Blood <insert drool smilie>

But Quake got the most play time :)

Heat.net? Mplayer was my all-time favorite, but I never heard of Heat. Gonna check it out now. Good thread and bump for nostalgia.

I seem to remember accessing SiN multiplayer that way. Yes . . . SiN.

Wow...wasn't there, I just watched the 10-6 trailer though

just wow...way ahead of its time, the obvious decedent being EVE of course

I remember it, but I never used the service. I was cracked out playing Unreal Tournament in clan matches setup by a community I was part of. Fun times back then.

I remember trying to use heat and never understanding what I was doing wrong. I always tried to play Duke Nukem on it lol

Heat.net was GREAT. Battlezone time.

Anyone else remember Microsofts "Zone.com" back in the day? I remember playing Mechwarrior 3, Rogue Spear, and AOE 2 hardcore there.

Jeez men, where has gaming gone these days. I mean it's depressing

I remember heat.net. I never got into it because of the cost.

Briefly i was into Mplayer, i think they had like the free servers you could play on.. Then there was also TEN. which I played ARC a ton.

Best game ever on those services was Quake 1 though. Nothing will ever trump the amount of time i put into that game. Are servers still up for it? It's been a few years since i've checked..

I played a shit-ton of Total Annihilation on those services. 3.1 patch, 1k unit patch and haha.ufo Anyone else? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back