Heat limited I7 2600K with a Noctua NH-D14?

I am kind confused by these "new" monster coolers, the core temperature utils are showing the cores overheating, yet the cooler is only luke warm (maybe 30C) (fins or top of the base). Old school pin coolers ran much hotter and running high rpm fans cooled them off. Yet from my experiment (holding a higher rpm fan pulling air through the Noctua) I don't think you will get much of a core tempurature drop.

I say that my i7 is heat limited as 4.5Ghz and 1.35V it is in the 70C's, but crank it to 4.7Ghz and 1.375V and it goes into the 80C's (Prime95-10K FFT-8 threads). I am surpised that the monster Noctua cooler is the limiter. Yet I believe the Noctua is holding the base to a low tempurature and since I believe I have applied the thermal grease reasonably, the processor metal cap/IHS should be at a fairly low temperature. This implies to me that the heat conductance from the core to the IHS is not sufficient at these high power levels (at least for my chip). In the old days, we used to be able to rip off the IHS and put the heat sink directly on the exposed core for a good drop in temperatures, but no longer. The only solution seems to be to drop the heatsink block temperature to even lower temperatures. But requiring such extremely low temperatures seems to be a flaw in the i7, i.e. the Noctua can cool higher wattage processors, yet the low power i7 2600K cores overheat.

Now it is likely a few more speed clicks up would smash into voltage or stability limits, but at least for my processor, the limit is heat.

I vote for bad contact. I hardly believe the chip to be the problem. The IHS transfers heat just fine.

I'm running a Cogage Arrow, which is no slouch, and I'm seeing the same temps...........4.8 Ghz wth HT at 1.35V and I'm hitting 80C with LinX. My HS/Motherboard sits parallel to desktop, so I doubt contact is an issue in my setup.

Before going water, I had my 920 at 4 GHz under the Asus Triton 88 and I maxed at 68-72c with Prime95 and a few more degrees when doing Intel Burn Test. Mind that the 920 at 4 GHz has a much larger power draw than the 2600k. Perhaps his temps are normal, but he can easily get better temps with either a better contact (perhaps - ofc I cannot say, since it wasn't myself who applied it) or better cooling.

The problem is definitely not the IHS not being able to transfer the heat quickly enough. If that is the case, I dare you to use the stock cooler with the same OC and see what happens. Because then the stock cooler ought to cool just as efficiently, since the heat-transfer is supposedly minimal.

you may need to reapply the thermal paste and reseat. my 2600k at 4.8 with 1.360V with prime running hit 68-67C. I have the silver arrow which is comparable to the noctural. in the bios did you set cpu fan profile to high so the fans run at max?

Push/Pull Archon with 2600K @ 4.8ghz 1.4V and I see 85C during intel burn in but 77C tops in OCCT. Using Shin Etsu paste. In real use I don't think it ever gets out of the 50's max. HT is on.

My hyperthreading enabled. If I disable it, temperatures go way down. Also my vdroop prevention settings are at maximum and all the watt/amp settings are unlimited.

For me Intelburntest and Prime95 Blend (first runs) do not get that hot. Its Prime95 small fft 10k and larger (8k is a bit cooler) where the temperature is high. Also I am ignoring the first "core" temperature as it -10C lower than the other 3 which are pretty close (1-2C).

I have played with my thermal grease (mostly Noctua) a few times and I think it is reasonably applied. Currently just put a very small booger in the middle which gets spreads to a circle by the pressure which I observed in previous applications. I didn't see any obvious defects in the surfaces of the i7 IHS and the Noctua D14.

Also I noticed the i7 seems to have a stronger correlation between temperature and clock speed with same voltage than previous processors, i.e. before voltage was king.

I guess I just have a "hot" chip which I am guessing means that thermal connectivity to from the die to the IHS is not as good or the silicon itself is using a lot more watts..

I ran my Noctua NH-D14 on my i5-2500k and pushed it to 4.5ghz 1.3v @ 52c max load temps using prime95.

I didn't bother going further, but I'm sure I could have. Maybe bad contact or thermal paste? (I personally used the included thermal paste, because I didn't want to spend $15 on AS5).

I ran my Noctua NH-D14 on my i5-2500k and pushed it to 4.5ghz 1.3v @ 52c max load temps using prime95.

I didn't bother going further, but I'm sure I could have. Maybe bad contact or thermal paste? (I personally used the included thermal paste, because I didn't want to spend $15 on AS5).

2500K doesn't have hyperthreading.. I can keep my temps real cool with it off. Also I assume we are all using core temp or some accurate way of measuring temp? Using your motherboards software will not be accurate as its usually socket temp and not core temp.

2600k @ 5ghz here ht on, vcore set to offset +, runs 1.0 vcore idle 1.488 vcore loaded, h70 82c loaded linx with newest binaries!! ic24k

2600k @ 5ghz here ht on, vcore set to offset +, runs 1.0 vcore idle 1.488 vcore loaded, h70 82c loaded linx with newest binaries!! ic24k

That's a damn nice chip. Mine takes 1.44v for 4.8ghz and touches up on 80C during 12 hours of prime blend :(

Back