Heat Issue with my Raptor?

ZerazaX

[H]ard|Gawd
Okay so it was another sweltering day in Los Angeles and this issue popped up again after it was gone for a while so maybe someone can confirm this is a heat-related issue as I suspect it is:

I'm running Vista x64 on my WD Raptor X and I have it in a P182SE. While the P182SE is a great computer for a silent temperature, its not the greatest for cooling. Because I don't have AC where I live right now, room temepratures can reach up to 80 degrees or more on hot days, so the ambient is bad.

Basically what happens generally is that i may be using the computer or away from it, but usually you hear a click first before you realize that windows basically locks up and stops functioning. Then suddenly the computer will restart but when you go through the BIOS POST screen, it will fail to detect the Raptor's SATA connection. You then need to shut down the computer and/or sometimes go back into BIOS to put the Raptor to be the first HDD booted up.

Is this a heat-related issue in all likelihood? I did notice that this problem seemed to occur more when it was on a hot day or when my fans were too low and the inside got hot (that damn 8800Ultra isn't helping either). Or could there be another culprit?

I should really consider moving everything into a Stacker..

we need full specs. it could be south/north bridges overheating, i dont think its the hdd.

what are your temps?

Northbridge reads in Everest at 46 C, WD Raptor at 43C, Seagate 500GB at 41 C, GPU at 58C (I have a Hr-03 on the 8800 Ultra though), and mid 40 on the cores at idle (Do have a Thermalright Ultra-120 but the fan isn't on the highest). This is as of now, as it would've been higher during day time

i mean you can see the raptor is only 2c higher than the seagate, which isnt nuts since its an OS drive and prob accessed a lot more. any room for a fan near it though? my seagate 400gig isnt near any fans and is 40c, and my raptor 36gig is right in front of a fan and is only 30c.

46c northbridge could be toasty. how often does this restart occur? if its daily, you could remove the side panel and put a window fan there to drop temps to verify it being a heat issue.

Could be heat or PSU struggling/dying.
Even if your ambient is a bit higher, just keep air flowing well over the harddrives, as that will help draw away the head emanating from the drive.

Getting a different case won't do a thing if you can't bring ambient down. Cooling in the P180/P182 is /not/ that bad -- it's the fans it comes with. Replace them with some low speed Yate Loons at 12v and you'll be fine (and they'll be quieter than the POS TriCools on medium) for ventilation, on par with cases with several more fans due to the 'ducting' type setup in the P180 series. The issue is going to be your ambients, regardless.

The detect raptor 'bug' is something I've noted at any temperature. If something happens and the system fails, it usually requires a hard-reset (power off and power on) for the controller on the raptor to start responding again.

Back