HealthCare.gov System Hack Affects 75,000 Customers

cageymaru

Fully [H]
A computer system associated with the HealthCare.gov system has been hacked. 75,000 people will soon be notified and offered credit protection after a computer system used by insurance brokers and agents to assist consumers with applications for coverage was hacked. The Direct Enrollment pathway for agents and brokers is expected to be restored within 7 days. HealthCare.gov and the Marketplace Call Center remain operational. The breach was discovered on October 13, 2018 and declared on October 16, 2018.

"Our number one priority is the safety and security of the Americans we serve. We will continue to work around the clock to help those potentially impacted and ensure the protection of consumer information," said CMS Administrator Seema Verma. "I want to make clear to the public that HealthCare.gov and the Marketplace Call Center are still available, and open enrollment will not be negatively impacted. We are working to identify the individuals potentially impacted as quickly as possible so that we can notify them and provide resources such as credit protection."

Government or private, hacks happen.

Sure but private have something to lose if they get hacked. Government just shrugs and moves on leaving you holding the bag. Sure some people might get fired...but you cant put the Government out of business...

What makes you think a few years of credit protection is going to matter when they have data that wont ever change...like your ss #, dob, etc.

I said this would happen. Just another reason to NOT involve the Government in the every day lives of citizens or to trust them with any more data than is absolutely necessary.
I'd like to point out, this was 75,000. How many hacks of Private Corporations are measured in the Millions, or even Tens of Millions? Or Equifax that was what? 100 Million or something assinine?

I'd like to point out, this was 75,000. How many hacks of Private Corporations are measured in the Millions, or even Tens of Millions? Or Equifax that was what? 100 Million or something assinine?

But gov’t. lol

But hey its ok it was only 75k people that were likely low income. I tend to be fairly conservative but your attitude towards this is very dismissive. Like I said at least for private companies we can force them into accountability either with our wallets or by demanding the govt take action. Good luck forcing the Government to do anything about this beyond giving you lip service.

Sure but private have something to lose if they get hacked. Government just shrugs and moves on leaving you holding the bag. Sure some people might get fired...but you cant put the Government out of business...

What makes you think a few years of credit protection is going to matter when they have data that wont ever change...like your ss #, dob, etc.

How did Equifax fair? Any fines? Any arrests? anything?

But hey its ok it was only 75k people that were likely low income. I tend to be fairly conservative but your attitude towards this is very dismissive. Like I said at least for private companies we can force them into accountability either with our wallets or by demanding the govt take action. Good luck forcing the Government to do anything about this beyond giving you lip service.

Low income? How did you derive at that? A lot of self-employed individuals who are well off use this healthcare.

Govt actually has seriously strict regulations governing the reporting and handling of such breaches. Private Companies...not so much...which is why it took Equifax so long to report while this was reported within 24 hours of discovery, as per Regs.

When did private companies in general not just shug and move on ?
i think every time we hear about this people are calling for some kind of punishment for it but yet private companies receive nothing.

It seems to t me you are just grasping for some political agenda

Well if equifax didn’t have anything happen to them then by all means let’s never punish anyone.

/s

Government or not eventually someone needs to be punished for these.

Well if equifax didn’t have anything happen to them then by all means let’s never punish anyone.

/s

Government or not eventually someone needs to be punished for these.
Yes, lets punish someone, and if we do, we should start with the breach that hit HALF OF ALL AMERICAN ADULTS.

Yes, everyone should be punished in some way, but scale also matters.

Yes, lets punish someone, and if we do, we should start with the breach that hit HALF OF ALL AMERICAN ADULTS.

Yes, everyone should be punished in some way, but scale also matters.
What I’m saying is that if the litmus test for all hacks moving forward is that equifax wasn’t punished then we are truly screwed.

Equifax should have and still should be punished.
Also the OPM breach sent way more than 75k of personal information into the wild by the government and no one was punished. We can do this forever.

Edit: OPM hack was 22 mil.

Does it really matter anymore? Is there even anybody left who hasn't had their data compromised. Between the 2 credit agencies that were hacked I would think there is nobody left.

i think every time we hear about this people are calling for some kind of punishment for it but yet private companies receive nothing.

There is no political agenda here. I have always maintained that giving the government your data was a bad idea. In fact asking the government to fix any problem is a bad idea and better left to situations that are either A) well within its mandate (i.e. defense) or B) stuff so fucked up nobody can fix it or c) of a scale that is so massive only the govt can tackle the issue.

Equifax should have and still should be punished.

You seem to have forgotten just how congress punished them...

1) new multi-million contract for services...
2) Legislation stating they would be immune to lawsuits..

See.. how they were punished??

Pretty brutal :rolleyes:

There is no political agenda here. I have always maintained that giving the government your data was a bad idea. In fact asking the government to fix any problem is a bad idea and better left to situations that are either A) well within its mandate (i.e. defense) or B) stuff so fucked up nobody can fix it or c) of a scale that is so massive only the govt can tackle the issue.

That IS a political agenda and you pushes a political agenda on a point that has no merits on it.
You claimed that the government has somehow less of a risc/punishment than privat sector but has yet to fullfil the request to prove that.

That IS a political agenda and you pushes a political agenda on a point that has no merits on it.
You claimed that the government has somehow less of a risc/punishment than privat sector but has yet to fullfil the request to prove that.

No its not its my opinion but if you don't like it well tough luck.

Anyone with access to a computer can use google these days: https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/24/17275994/yahoo-sec-fine-2014-data-breach-35-million. 35 million for failure to disclose a data breach. What did OPM get? Oh wait nothing.

There are plenty of others. Just because equifax has good lawyers and deep pockets to bribe govt officials doesnt change the point. At least companies have some sort of financial incentive. Remind me again why the Govt should care if it loses your data?

Really you should be careful about who you give your data to...private or public (as in Govt).

You seem to have forgotten just how congress punished them...

1) new multi-million contract for services...
2) Legislation stating they would be immune to lawsuits..

See.. how they were punished??

Pretty brutal :rolleyes:
I don’t remember the same outcry when OPM got hacked.

That was potentially a lot more damaging to the government and the government ignored it.

The whole thing is total bullshit but I don’t have time to worry about it.

More like a religion.

Anyone with access to a computer can use google these days: https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/24/17275994/yahoo-sec-fine-2014-data-breach-35-million. 35 million for failure to disclose a data breach. What did OPM get? Oh wait nothing.

There are plenty of others. Just because equifax has good lawyers and deep pockets to bribe govt officials doesnt change the point. At least companies have some sort of financial incentive. Remind me again why the Govt should care if it loses your data?

Really you should be careful about who you give your data to...private or public (as in Govt).
Nobody's saying there shouldn't be consequences for the government having a breach. The point is in a post-Equifax, post-Facebook breach affecting half the country or more, your words ring hollow. Equifax is still in business, they received a slap on the wrist fine. Even your example of Yahoo is still weak considering 35 million is hardly a crippling fine to a company worth over 5 billion. News flash: people fuck up in the public and private sector. In BOTH cases, the consequences don't mean much. If you showed me CEOs going to jail over this, it would be a different story, but the reality is whether it's private or government doesn't seem to make much of a difference. If anything, Equifax alone gives government a BETTER record now.

Another way to look at it:

healtcare.gov: 75,000 accounts hacked
Facebook: 30,000,000 accounts hacked
Equifax: 148,000,000 accounts hacked

OMG THE PROBLEM IS OBVIOUSLY GOVERNMENT!

Good thing I got a real job before I bothered to use my Healthcare.gov account.

More like a religion.

Nobody's saying there shouldn't be consequences for the government having a breach. The point is in a post-Equifax, post-Facebook breach affecting half the country or more, your words ring hollow. Equifax is still in business, they received a slap on the wrist fine. Even your example of Yahoo is still weak considering 35 million is hardly a crippling fine to a company worth over 5 billion. News flash: people fuck up in the public and private sector. In BOTH cases, the consequences don't mean much. If you showed me CEOs going to jail over this, it would be a different story, but the reality is whether it's private or government doesn't seem to make much of a difference. If anything, Equifax alone gives government a BETTER record now.

Another way to look at it:

healtcare.gov: 75,000 accounts hacked
Facebook: 30,000,000 accounts hacked
Equifax: 148,000,000 accounts hacked

OMG THE PROBLEM IS OBVIOUSLY GOVERNMENT!

I didnt say the problem is just the government. I said at least in the private sector this is SOMETHING of a risk vs no risk in public sector.

It only affected 75k because the ACA has been a big, steaming pile of shit since day one.

....but that's an argument for another day .

Reactions: kju1
like this

There is no need to try move the goalpost here. But I guess I will take that as you are admitting that you first statments was BS since you have to change it to aligned what everybody has been trying to tell you.

Doesn't matter if its gov or private.
Shit will have bad security when when there is no proper punishment

Sure but private have something to lose if they get hacked. Government just shrugs and moves on leaving you holding the bag.

It's actually the other way around. Thanks to recent Supreme Court rulings most companies have added enforceable forced arbitration clauses as part of their service contracts, they get to decide your compensation if they lose your data. The government can't do that, you have a 1st amendment right to sue the government for redress of grievances.

There is no need to try move the goalpost here. But I guess I will take that as you are admitting that you first statments was BS since you have to change it to aligned what everybody has been trying to tell you.

Doesn't matter if its gov or private.
Shit will have bad security when when there is no proper punishment

No I havent. You just keep interpreting what I say the way you want to hear it.

Back