Headset vs desktop mic & speakers

MoreDents

Limp Gawd
Hey all

I'm wondering which option is your preferred method for online gaming and why.

A headset or a desktop mic + desktop speakers

If a desktop mic, I'm thinking of this Logitech Silver
36-111-601-03.jpg

My budget is around 40 bucks...haha

Thanks

Since I already had a good set of headphones (Sennheiser HD280-Pros), I didn't want to have to buy a full headset. I ended up buying a clip on mic that actually works really well.

I use a headset as my desk has enough shit on it already. Using a desktop mic with speakers will not make you many friends online.

USB mics are the best. That Logitech is the one I use and love it.

I use headphones as well.

I used to buy headsets, but i got mad at the mic breaking or the headphone quality being low. I think it's a lot better to buy nice headphones and a desktop mic. I have one almost just like that logitech desktop mic you have a picture of along with sennheiser HD 280pro headphones and i'm much more happy with this combination than i was with any of my headsets before. The mic works good, i raid a lot in WoW using ventrilo, and play TF2 / cs:s and it picks up my voice good in all of those applications.

And since you said your budget is 40 bucks, get the mic for 15 or so and spend the rest on headphones, if you get desktop speakers they will send feedback into the mic alllll the time and piss of everyone you're trying to talk to.

nice headphones = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106328

Nice. The headphone + desktop mic makes a lot more sense. I have read that headset's have terrible sound. Even the expensive ones...

Thanks for clarifying me guys

I have the SteelSound 5H V2 and the sound is very decent for the price and the microphone is perfect.

Do yourself a favor and just buy the MIC you listed, i used to go through headsets like candy every 4 months they would either break or just fall apart even the expensive ones. So i finally just purchased an expensive set of headphones and got the a logitech desktop mic all my problems have been solved and not one purchase of a headset in almost a year.

Do yourself a favor and just buy the MIC you listed, i used to go through headsets like candy every 4 months they would either break or just fall apart even the expensive ones. So i finally just purchased an expensive set of headphones and got the a logitech desktop mic all my problems have been solved and not one purchase of a headset in almost a year.

yeah, that definitely sounds like the best plan. Everyone should follow that

I use a headset as my desk has enough shit on it already. Using a desktop mic with speakers will not make you many friends online.

Or you can turn on the noise cancelling effects and have no echoing issues, like me. I think vista in particular is good with this feature since they rewrote the audio in windows? Although I might be pulling that out of my ass, I'm not sure :)

I have been using a $10 mic that sits on my desk for the past 3 years, along with good headphones or 2.1 speakers.

Good headphones and whatever mic I happen to have at the time, which sometimes included a broken headset. I never buy headsets anymore.

headphones + clip-on mic for online gaming. I recommend getting the Zalman ZN-MIC 1 and investing in some quality closed headphones like Audio Technica A900s or Denon D2000.

I finally got to a point to where I was earning enough money to build this rig 1 1/2 years ago. Along with the rig, I got some 5.1 stereo surround sound speakers. I had always wanted to play my games with the volume up and the bass heavy and thunderuss.

It sounded excellent!!!! Untill the wife would come in bitchin that the sound was rumbling thru the house and waking up the kids, and let me tell ya, nothing pisses off a mother more than something waking up the kids. Prior to that though, TF2 was sounding OUTSTANDING!!!!

So, I had to get some headphones. So I got, ummm, well I dont recall which brand I got, but it has nice cushy ear pads (which is important) and a mic which I can fold down and move in front so it can pick up my voice better.

Oh well, so I dont get the bass I thought......Pffffffffttt!!!!

With the headset, I hear SO SO MUCH MORE in my games than I ever did with just the speakers. In TF2 for instance, I can actually HEAR the spies running around me (usually) as well as hear others running. One example was, I was guarding the briefcase in 2Fort, I was a Heavy. I would wait behind a wall in the main briefcase room and as long as I didnt have my minigun revolving, I could hear "whoever" running down the hallway, but not only that, I could also hear from which direction they were coming from too. The doppler effect works GREAT with the headphones.

Only thing wrong now is, as Im gaming, """sometimes""" I cant hear the door to my computer room open. Back when F.E.A.R. came out, I was playing it late at night and decided to play the game with the lights off for more effect. I was totally drawn into the game and next thing I know, I feel something on my arm, real lightly. I think its just a hair or something and I just shake it off and go back to my gaming. A few moments later, I feel it again, but this time, I look down and see this tiny hand on my arm......I about jumped out of my skin and let out this loud, eh hmm, manly yell and saw it was my 4 year old daughter, just standing there with this stare, grave look in her eye. It was creepy as hell.

Hey all

I'm wondering which option is your preferred method for online gaming and why.

A headset or a desktop mic + desktop speakers....
Ok I disagree with most of the advice given in this thread.

1. Get a desktop mic and desktop speakers if you want everyone in your clan to hate you. Yes, it is the quickest way to become the most annoying person on your team's Vent/TS. Why? Because every time you press your push to talk key we are going to hear your game blasting in the background. It just doesn't work.
  2. Forget the myth of the clip on mic. I too am a headphone snob. I digg my ATH-AD2000s but as much as I love them, they aren't for online gaming. I have tried cheap clip on mics, the Zalman and I even went as far as to buy an expensive $50 one. None of them work as well as a good gaming headset. They will all making your voice sound quieter and less distinct then pretty much any headset. Particularly if you are a team leader, you just can’t afford for to have to repeat what you are saying.
  3. So if you don’t want to be the redheaded step-child of your group, get a gaming headset. The bad news is must of them do suck. That said, forget about every single Surround Sound unit because they are over priced gimmicks. The best gaming headset I have used is the Sennheiser PC-150-160 series. Get the none USB one for around $60 bucks.

On the other hand the new PC 350 look like they might be the ultimate but then again…

So to sum it up, desktop mics are for wankers, clip on mics are only for team members that never have to talk or you don't care about because you won't be able to hear them that well and gaming headsets are for key players, best buds and the players that matter.

Anyone that tells you otherwise is obviously using a desktop mic and his team mates don't love him enough to make fun of him while he is around.

I am actually facing the same exact situation. If I get the headphones + desktop mic setup, anyone have any suggestions for headphones for around $50. I will only be using the headphones for gaming and nothing else so I really don't feel like getting expensive headphones. I was going to get a headset but after reading that they don't last long I'm having second thoughts.

1. Get a desktop mic and desktop speakers if you want everyone in your clan to hate you. Yes, it is the quickest way to become the most annoying person on your team's Vent/TS. Why? Because every time you press your push to talk key we are going to hear your game blasting in the background. It just doesn't work.
  2. Forget the myth of the clip on mic. I too am a headphone snob. I digg my ATH-AD2000s but as much as I love them, they aren't for online gaming. I have tried cheap clip on mics, the Zalman and I even went as far as to buy an expensive $50 one. None of them work as well as a good gaming headset. They will all making your voice sound quieter and less distinct then pretty much any headset. Particularly if you are a team leader, you just can’t afford for to have to repeat what you are saying.
  3. So if you don’t want to be the redheaded step-child of your group, get a gaming headset. The bad news is must of them do suck. That said, forget about every single Surround Sound unit because they are over priced gimmicks. The best gaming headset I have used is the Sennheiser PC-150-160 series. Get the none USB one for around $60 bucks.

On the other hand the new PC 350 look like they might be the ultimate but then again…

So to sum it up, desktop mics are for wankers, clip on mics are only for team members that never have to talk or you don't care about because you won't be able to hear them that well and gaming headsets are for key players, best buds and the players that matter.

Anyone that tells you otherwise is obviously using a desktop mic and his team mates don't love him enough to make fun of him while he is around.

QFT there's nothing else to be said :p

I've used a generic Labtec headset for the past 3 years. Sound quality isn't outstanding, but they've withstood the test of time. I am probably going to get some new ones soon though.

No, do not buy gaming headsets, they are a gimmick. If you visit any audio forums everyone will tell you not to use a headset for gaming. There are many quality headphones for not very much money and a mic is next to nothing.

You have several options as people have said. However I find boom mic's and clip ons to resuld in more static background nose and less clear voice. I have a nice Turtle Beach 5.1 (none usb thankfully) headset that has a pretty good mic and pretty decent audio. Is it as good as spending the bux on a solid headset? not really, but is it a good compramize between the two? yes.

Mics and such should be placed close to the source of sound, on your desk thats pretty much in front of your face but not confortably if you bump it or something. Clip ons can work but usually do not have a lot of quality behind them. Most computer consumer boom mics are also not that high in quality. You can find amazing ones but you will pay a little more for them.

It also depends on what you want and think would be best for you.

I've always figured better sound is more important than a better mic so I go for headphones + mic. I mean, a mic can only be so bad in comparison to headphones. Hell, I'm using the dinky little mic that came with my old ass Dell and no one that I play CS with even knows.

I've read 2 people say go for "none USB"
I thought USB was always better than their analog counterpart... :confused:

No, do not buy gaming headsets, they are a gimmick. If you visit any audio forums everyone will tell you not to use a headset for gaming. There are many quality headphones for not very much money and a mic is next to nothing.

damn...conflicting views....

I just bought the Logitech desktop mic and it's too late to cancel. I'm loss now..haha

I use the exact same setup as the above poster. Everyone can hear me fine, and I've had no complaints as far as mic quality goes. I tried using one of those desktop mics before, and everyone on vent could tell I was using a different mic cause it sounded alot shittier than the Zalman clip on. Headsets are POS that break easily.

Wait a second, I can't use a desktop mic because I'll lose valuable street cred with my nerdy gaming friends?? Fuck!

You'll enjoy your setup, its about what YOU think is right; I've had this desktop mic for a long ass time and every raid I've been in no one has ever complained about feedback or hearing themselves when i talk. Of course this is when i use my desktop speakers not my headphones :p

If you are talking about Head-Fi I have been a member for there for a while. But to be honest they don’t know what the hell they are talking about. Keep in mind you are talking about folks that are concerned about med-fi/hi-fi set ups. If you are looking to game with other people communication among team members is the priority. I have tried all of the set ups mentioned in this thread and nothing beats a good gaming headset.

I've always figured better sound is more important than a better mic so I go for headphones + mic. I mean, a mic can only be so bad in comparison to headphones. Hell, I'm using the dinky little mic that came with my old ass Dell and no one that I play CS with even knows.
Wrong. If you are playing online without a team, then yes. In fact in that scenario you really don’t need a mic. Good phones, done. But if you are actually playing on a team the mic is more important. For the most part the only benefit in better phones is for listening pleasure. A lot of players tend to exaggerate the importance of the sound stage and directional audio.

Keep in mind most games have compressed sound already and not up to hi-fi standards. Its not like they are using FLAC or some other lossless format for games. Its a game for Christ sakes not an orchestra

I've read 2 people say go for "none USB"
I thought USB was always better than their analog counterpart... :confused:
Whoever told you that is either a moron or has a really bad sound card. Why would you buy a nice Xi-Fi and then negate it buy relying on the crappy built in sound of a USB headset? As long as you have a decent sound card, USB would not be preferred.

I tried the Zalman. My experience were they were cheap and vastly inferior to the my Sennheiser headset. Like I said I have tried the gamut of lapel mics from cheap to high quality and they all suffer in comparison to a headset.

Wait a second, I can't use a desktop mic because I'll lose valuable street cred with my nerdy gaming friends?? Fuck!
Well that and that you will be hard to understand or just be the person everyone mutes in channel because of your load speakers.:D

you guys dont know how to take care of headsets. i have had this one http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/597269/Sennheiser-PC-130-Overhead-Gaming-Headset/Product.html for fucking years since around 2003 and its still going strong. i have dropped them. stept on it by accident and almost crushed the damm thing with my office chair and STILL it works and no peices broken whatsoever

Hehe. sounds like your not taking too good a care of your headset dude, heh.

The headset I mentioned on page 1, ive had for a few years too. Its a Plantronics. Cost me maybe $15 bucks. Sounds great and Ive never had anyone in any game tell me they couldnt hear me clearly. Id say, at most, spending 30 bucks is it, anything more than that is a waste.

Beware of overpriced, overrated setups. My setup? A cheap pair of Sony enclosed headphones, and my mic is an old 10 year old white generic Creative one that they used to package with Gateways and stuff.

Headphones = about $12
Mic = free

I simply plug the headphones into my desktop speaker's headphone jack, and the mic stays plugged into the back of my rig. Everyone hears me crystal clear in TF2. I've even heard it myself by going to someone else's place and having someone talk on my mic. You don't need $50 headphones and you don't need a $50 mic. It's all in the software and how you tweak it, also what distance the mic is from you when you are talking. Just experiment with it, you'll see.

A desktop mic is the same as a headset mic. It's the desktop speakers you can't use, because when you talk the rest of your team will get feedback. This is solved by using headphones.

People with Speakers and a microphone really piss me off when they talk. I don't want to hear myself and others talking while you're talking and I don't need to hear that your shooting a gun.

Headphones + Zalman Clip Mic FTW

(snip)
Forget the myth of the clip on mic. I too am a headphone snob. I digg my ATH-AD2000s but as much as I love them, they aren't for online gaming. I have tried cheap clip on mics, the Zalman and I even went as far as to buy an expensive $50 one. None of them work as well as a good gaming headset. They will all making your voice sound quieter and less distinct then pretty much any headset. Particularly if you are a team leader, you just can’t afford for to have to repeat what you are saying.
(snip)

Really doesn't sound like you've ever used one. I get comments more like "wow, what kind of microphone do you have?" because of how good the quality is. It hangs at my chest and it sounds perfect with great volume.

Is there a decent affordable wireless headset mic that works similar to how the Xbox 360's does?

I have a set of logitech z5500 spekaers and want to use them, but my desk is fuill and I don't want to use a desk mic.

At the same time, I DO want to use my speakers and such in games but wish to use a headset mic for just the mic/voice.

Basically so that the voice communication plays in the headset only and the game/etc sound plays through the speakers normally.

Well as we can already see here, everyone has different opinions about what option is the best.

Personally I am using a high quality headphone with a Zalman MC-1 Clip on Mic that I got for cheap... Before that I used a desktop mic.

The Zalman MC-1 is vastly superior and everyone can hear me clearly, in fact I have gain to spare (IE: sound card recording volume is not at maximum). Personally for the money, I find this to be the best solution. I just clip it onto my headphone cord and forget about it.

I vote that you go and buy what YOU want and see if it meets your expectations. You can certainly get a computer headset for ~$40 (on the low end mind you) or you could get the Zalman MC-1 and give it a try for less than $10, you probably already have a pair of headphones you can use.

Speakers used with any kind of Mic are bad for voice communication...

I thought that many of the popular voice comm systems (teamspeak, vent, etc) had the ability so that when you push the button to talk, it will automatically lower your sound so it won't be blasting into other people's ears and vice versa when they talk?

That seems like a simple way to get past that problem to me...

Nope, doesn't work that way. If it did it would make online play a real hassle. You need those background sounds.

I am sure if there is one thing we all agree on, open speakers and any mic is a recipe for disaster.

Thanks for the all the great responses.

It seems a Zalman clip-on and some killer headphones is the best way to go. To me, I don't see the difference between a clip-on and a mic from a headset. They are both the same distance from your mouth...

Nope, doesn't work that way. If it did it would make online play a real hassle. You need those background sounds.

I am sure if there is one thing we all agree on, open speakers and any mic is a recipe for disaster.

Err what?

I mean when you talk it turns the sound down, then when you aren't talking it's normal, win win it would seem to me.

I coulda swear when I used Roger Wilco back in the day it did this, don't see why Vent/TS wouldn't support something so simple yet very easy to do.

Thanks for the all the great responses.

It seems a Zalman clip-on and some killer headphones is the best way to go. To me, I don't see the difference between a clip-on and a mic from a headset. They are both the same distance from your mouth...

Again, you don't need a clip-on or killer headphones. All mics are about the same, I have friends with all different kinds and the cheapest ones sound just as good as the more expensive ones. Like I said before, if you don't tweak the mic settings ANY mic will sound like shit no matter if it's a clip-on, or a $50 desktop mic. One friend of mine that plays TF2 uses a $5.99 mic he got off NewEgg and he sounds awesome.

As far as the headsets go, again...it's not needed. You can use any type of mic you want...a desktop one, a clip-on, a headset, whatever. I don't know why people are making this more complicated and expensive than it needs to be. Here it is in a nutshell: If you are using a mic (any type of mic) you need to be wearing headphones so the other players don't get feedback from your desktop speakers. No "killer" headphones needed....just headphones. I could set you up using voice on any game you wanted with a $5 mic and a $12 set of headphones from NewEgg. You don't need an expensive mic or headphones to use voice unless you don't know your ass from your elbow when it comes to configuring audio on XP or Vista.

Err what?

I mean when you talk it turns the sound down, then when you aren't talking it's normal, win win it would seem to me.

If when you're speaking it turns down the sound that you hear, then how do you expect to hear an opponent come up behind you or something important your teammate says? You won't.

I coulda swear when I used Roger Wilco back in the day it did this, don't see why Vent/TS wouldn't support something so simple yet very easy to do.

You might be confusing this with little programs like TSmate that lower the game volume or a streaming music feed when you hear someone else speak. Those don't have anything to do with you speaking into your microphone.

Back