Headset That Helps Cure Gamer Rage?

HardOCP News

[H] News
There are so many problems with this idea that it isn't even funny. So, according to this company, the only reason your hear rate goes up is because you are angry? And the only fix is to switch your game to "easy?"

Based on researching a number of gamer's heart rates while playing a shooter, and using a raw prototype hooked up to an Xbox 360, the Immersion would gently adjust the difficulty and content of a game based on how the player was feeling.

Hmm... this confuses me. They say that while the user is calm and has a slow heart rate it will automatically put the game into easy mode. And then when the user's heart rate starts getting faster will move it to hard mode.

They associate higher heart rate to game rage, so it sounds like this device is trying to provoke game rage by making it harder when your heart rate goes up. Maybe I misunderstood something.

If you want to play a 'feel good' game then play a feel good game. Really what is the point of playing a game that gets easier when you get mad at it or even yourself. There's a reason that games like Dark Souls are getting so popular and I can tell you it's not because they're worried about how you feel lol

Really what is the point of playing a game that gets easier when you get mad at it or even yourself.

Sorry, I ment Harder.

That also brings up the point Ravynmagi stated. I thought the initial problem was 'gamer rage', it sounds like this will just exacerbate the issue.

yea I'm confused. So if I'm having a bad streak and getting angry, the game will become harder. Oh, and why would I purchase a device that would do that to me? Might as well come with an extra controller for when I throw it across the room lol.

This is the new liberal America, where no one is weak just different, and you get a medal for participation.

This is a pretty cool idea, just not for any of the ridiculously supid reasons the inventor mentioned. I can think of many games that I wish could detect when I wasn't even breaking a sweat, and then would increase the difficulty appropriately.

Too many games are designed so it's easy to get through it, because of assholes who get angry at something other then themselves.

45044495.jpg

Too many games are designed so it's easy to get through it, because of assholes who get angry at something other then themselves.

Very true. I would actually prefer something (i know it would be terrible and fail in practice) is a car that can sense driver rage and make them pull over and cool down.

How in the fuck do you tune difficulty on deathmatch or online gamer rage? If it detects that you are getting pissed, does it make the hit boxes on all other players larger or what? What if some pre-pubescent kid was screaming that he had intercourse with your mother over the headset, what then?

I only read the excerpt and didn't bother with the full article. Seems like a device destined for failure.

How in the fuck do you tune difficulty on deathmatch or online gamer rage? If it detects that you are getting pissed, does it make the hit boxes on all other players larger or what? What if some pre-pubescent kid was screaming that he had intercourse with your mother over the headset, what then?

I only read the excerpt and didn't bother with the full article. Seems like a device destined for failure.

They actually do the opposite.

immersion_difficulty_860.jpg

This is a cool idea for parents worried about their kid rage quitting during a game and probably still raging afterward. The idea seems to be only for single player but for multi-player it probably should shut down the game system till the child learns to keep his/her cool.

Like everyone else I am at a lose of what this helps. So the overall goal is to help you deal with stress, which it does by making the game harder and harder, pissing you off more and more which then makes the game harder and harder.

Overall, they are trying to help you learn that if you just relax and calm down that the game will return to a easier difficulty.

It's not about turning on easy mode to prevent gamer rage. It's about making the game even harder to teach the gamer to better deal with stress.
Can video games train us to handle stress better?
Sounds like a cool idea to me.

Awesome ideas posted here. Shock collar, valium drip increased difficulty. All things that would greatly improve the immersion of my gaming. I just built my own 3point headset clip for facetracknoIR but nothing says fun like cardiac arrest.

On second thought stress and high heart rate while playing games is the only exercise many of todays gamers get. stop trying to kill us off.

Actually easy mode is what pisses me off the most. Because if I am playing a game and I'm getting owned in easy mode, I feel like I really suck at the game. At least if the game is on hard mode, well...it's called hard mode for a reason...

Someday someone will make a FPS game where everyone sees themselves as taking eveyone else out with ease. This person will make a fortune.

I would actually prefer something (i know it would be terrible and fail in practice) is a car that can sense driver rage and make them pull over and cool down.

It's great that you know it would be terrible because it's going to be a really shitty day for the poor woman in labor when her husband's car forces him to park on the side of the freeway when he is trying to get her to the hospital.

Yes, shitty idea.

If I am understanding this it is trying to teach the gamer to be more calm by making the game easier when he is calm. The idea could work, or it could backfire and just piss people off more. :D

If I am understanding this it is trying to teach the gamer to be more calm by making the game easier when he is calm. The idea could work, or it could backfire and just piss people off more. :D

No, according to the page it makes the game harder, not easier.

So it's teaching gamers to better deal with stress by making the situation even more stressful.

Making the game easier when things get stressful does nothing to teach you about stress.

It's teaching you to stay calm, otherwise you wig out and the game just smashes you even harder and you die.

I think it's a great idea, you have to stay calm to get past the hard parts otherwise the hard parts just get harder and you die.

Back