Heads up on Paypal Policy update effective Nov. 18th 2014

ddb120

Supreme [H]ardness
Received an email from them this morning stating that effective November 18th 2014 Paypal is "increasing the time for buyers to file merchandise disputes (Item Not Received and Significantly Not as Described) from 45 days to 180 days."

That's enough for me to be done with it now. 6 months is way too long. It was nice knowing ya, Paypal.

Yep PayPal is becoming a scammers paradise. I will use them as a last resort only from trusted buyers.

It's effectively a 6-month, no questions asked, full refund return policy. Even better than Costco! Rejoice scammers!

How do we move a critical mass to a different payment method? Every transaction I have done on this forum used PayPal.

180 days?! That's crazy, not only will it make it a scammer's paradise, but it'll make it a lot more work for themselves!

I don't get it...

I basically use PayPal only for buyng things. You can hardly tell PayPal was bought out by eBay. Plus their new crappy layout makes it even worse. I do not have a f*cking tablet nor am I going to get one.

Back to money orders and checks I guess. The heck with giving someone 180 days to decide whether everything is okay or not.

The only way Amazon will now stand behind you if you sale the item on their site. They changed all that selling in other forums and standing behind items. It now has to be a item listed on their site. If not you get zero protection.

Sets up Amazon payments...:rolleyes:

Back to money orders and checks I guess. The heck with giving someone 180 days to decide whether everything is okay or not.
I assume you would have to slap a steep discount on anything you sell for people to even consider checks or money orders in this day and age. Might be better off accepting crypto if it weren't for the crazy fluctuations in price.

Google wallet or wait for a check or money order to clear. Either that or paypal gift which is against their TOS. On the flipside 180 days for people to want a refund is against my TOS.

hhmmm, maybe H can setup some sort of escrow house with a max of 21 days for any issues..

I thought Amazon payments was shutting down person-to-person on 10/13/2014 as well haha.
When it rains, it pours :p

They should have sent this to your email over a month ago:

Greetings from Amazon Payments:

Each year we send out a notice to every person who has an active Amazon Payments account. This notice is not a bill; it contains important information about our privacy practices, changes we are making to the availability of certain services, and how you can report errors or unauthorized transactions related to your account.

We appreciate the trust that you have put in Amazon Payments by using our services and want to make sure you are informed about our policies and practices. We know that you care how information about you is used and shared. To help you understand our privacy practices, we have detailed how we collect, use and safeguard your personal and financial information in our Privacy Notice (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Personal-Accounts/Privacy-Security/Privacy-Notice).

Our Unauthorized Transaction Policy (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Pe...ent-Policies/Unauthorized-Transactions-Policy) describes how you can report to us any billing errors or unauthorized transactions involving the use of your account balance or registered bank account. It also describes our liability and your rights for these types of errors or transactions.

Additionally, we have updated the terms and conditions of our User Agreement (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Personal-Accounts/User-Agreement-Policies/User-Agreement) that apply to your use of the products and services provided by Amazon Payments. Our updated User Agreement revises certain terms (including, among other things, the elimination of person-to-person payments). Our new User Agreement will become effective on October 13, 2014, which is more than 30 days from when we first posted our updated User Agreement. By continuing to use our services after October 13, 2014, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms and conditions of our new User Agreement.

Please take a moment to review our Privacy Notice (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Personal-Accounts/Privacy-Security/Privacy-Notice), Unauthorized Transaction Policy (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Pe...ent-Policies/Unauthorized-Transactions-Policy), and User Agreement (https://payments.amazon.com/help/Personal-Accounts/User-Agreement-Policies/User-Agreement). They may be found by clicking the User Agreement/Policies link on our web site at payments.amazon.com.

If you have questions or concerns about this information, please contact us by signing in to your Amazon Payments account and clicking on the Contact Us link (https://payments.amazon.com/contact) or by writing to us at Amazon Payments, Attn: Compliance, P.O. Box 81226 Seattle, Washington 98108-1226.

Thank you for using Amazon Payments.

Sincerely,
The Amazon Payments Team

USPS Money Orders FTW :) Yes things take a couple of days longer but it works and no fees. Also depending on the buyer and their feedback- in most cases I would not have a problem cross shipping if we can arrange it (to minimize the time it takes to get the goods\payment).

Just make sure if you accept Paypal you deal with someone who has a good rep, I've been doing this long before PayPal and I remember what a pain in the ass it was to have to deal with Money Orders and Cashiers Checks (which can be fraudulent).

This is interesting news, considering its right after the announced split between Ebay and Paypal. I have to agree though, 180 days is insane.

Last edited:
6 Months?! Holy shit. I'm now going to beef up my buyer requirements on eBay and on here, and use Google Wallet when possible.

Yeah looks like I've already used Google Wallet a few times in the past. Probably will make it a requirement in the near future...though I may still use PP for qualified buyers up until November.

Ive never had someone file a chargeback on me but 180 days later is pretty insane. This is definitely going to make me consider alternative methods.

Are you sure because currently if you file a dispute it happens right away if you have proof that the person is a scammer, which is rare because if someone is paying you for merchandise and they are fully U.S. verified the funds are in your account, then you ship - not sure why they would increase the time, possibly because they receive too many fraudulent reports and have to go through so many a day that they want to make sure the reports are through and not unnecessary - kinda makes sense to me. You can use Skrill on eBay if PayPal stops working, but I use PayPal because my different employees and so many customers use it.

Link to the email or can you PM me a copy? Just curious because as a business owner I was considering a merchant account soon for my webhosting company.

Are you sure because currently if you file a dispute it happens right away if you have proof that the person is a scammer, which is rare because if someone is paying you for merchandise and they are fully U.S. verified the funds are in your account, then you ship - not sure why they would increase the time, possibly because they receive too many fraudulent reports and have to go through so many a day that they want to make sure the reports are through and not unnecessary - kinda makes sense to me. You can use Skrill on eBay if PayPal stops working, but I use PayPal because my different employees and so many customers use it.

Link to the email or can you PM me a copy? Just curious because as a business owner I was considering a merchant account soon for my webhosting company.

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full?country.x=US&locale.x=en_US

The interesting thing about all this is that its right after the announced split between Paypal and Ebay. Is Paypal doing this in hopes of killing off Ebay in some way? Were they forced into it somehow?

Back